Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    Jits
    Anything where concussion is a possibility is not allowed.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
    Hi all,
    First post here. I'm been training off and on for a number of years in the martial arts. I have been out of martial arts for a good bit now but am thinking about getting back into it. Problem is since I was last training I have been put on blood thinners for a blood clot that I had, it is now gone. I may have to be on thinners for life because my condition is hereditary.

So, I'm looking into my options for what styles of martial arts that I can do while on blood thinners. For myself self defense and health benefits are what is most important to me when it comes to any style. Also, the need to be able to do as much as I can solo to improve is important as I'm not always able to make it to classes as my job has me going out of town frequently.

What suggestions do you all have? Also, if you give an answer would you be so kind as to elaborate as to why you have chosen to suggest the style that you have?

Much appreciated.
    If you want all the science behind this, I can start to post links, but the short of it is that for any martial art to have any sort of certainty of effectiveness in combat you need the stress inoculation that only comes from live sparring and competition. Without that you will probably not be able to enter into a cognitive state in a life threatening circumstance and will have to rely techniques that have been drilled to be autonomous. You have to repeat a technique 5000-10000 times for it to embed at autonomous, but here is the kicker, your brain for whatever reason will only access roughly 35 autonomous techniques in a life threatening situation. It is a total crap shoot as to which techniques your brain will embed like that, which is why, for instance, sometimes people who have been driving for decades, and have fully embedded stepping on the brake as an autonomous function, when faced with an impending collision, will "panic" and mash the gas. They lost the lottery and hitting the break wasn't one of their 35.

Now I am not trying to discourage you from learning martial arts. My reason for opening with all of that is so that you will have a very realistic idea of what you are actually paying for and doing. Along with that I will also state that, at least according to FBI crime statistics, your statistical likelihood of ever being in a physical altercation is very low, and you can lower that further by learning some basic de-escalation strategies.

As long as you accept those limitations, then I would suggest that you find something like Muy Tai or some other proven effective striking art. Most will allow you to train without sparring if that is your wish. Also most martial arts have solo drills and such that you can do to practice and improve away from the gym.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
    Only can do a striking art.

I'm able to kick and punch thing's, I'm just not allowed to take hits. Not an oxymoron.

In order to learn *useful* striking getting hit is required.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Possibly because they're concerned about damage to the arterial walls in the neck arteries from chokehold? Or maybe they're just playing it safe.

Grappling /= choking.
    Curious of the rationale.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    Yeah, that sounds backwards.

I was on blood thinners last year for a clot, similar situation. Are you on Warfarin (which is what everyone assumed I was on), or a different one (I was actually on Xarelto)? My first blood test said I had markers that indicated lupus anticoagulant, but after several months they found I didn't have it.

During the few months I was on the Xarelto, I was informed that striking was a no go at all, that a brain bleed would be the end of me, I was also told I would bruise easy in wrestling, but that I could do the grapple. So I did the grapple. I like the grapple.

I was also, somewhat scarily, informed by a nurse that Xarelto has no antidote, so when I got a tiny nick of a cut on my middle finger that didn't stop bleeding, it had me concerned, like, am I going to bleed out from this cut that is less than a centimetre long?

By the way, it stopped bleeding after a good hour or so. I didn't die.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

Page 2 of 2 First 12