Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Martial arts and blood thinners

Hi all,
    First post here. I'm been training off and on for a number of years in the martial arts. I have been out of martial arts for a good bit now but am thinking about getting back into it. Problem is since I was last training I have been put on blood thinners for a blood clot that I had, it is now gone. I may have to be on thinners for life because my condition is hereditary.

So, I'm looking into my options for what styles of martial arts that I can do while on blood thinners. For myself self defense and health benefits are what is most important to me when it comes to any style. Also, the need to be able to do as much as I can solo to improve is important as I'm not always able to make it to classes as my job has me going out of town frequently.

What suggestions do you all have? Also, if you give an answer would you be so kind as to elaborate as to why you have chosen to suggest the style that you have?

Much appreciated.

Style
    Ex-Karate
    I would suggest you firstly speak to your doctor to get their go ahead, especially around what level of exercise you can/can't do. I suspect that they would also take into account your weight, blood pressure etc.

Why MA's? If you are getting back into fitness you might want to consider a running program or some form of resistance training. If you are out of town a lot it is easy to pack some trainers in your bag and go for a run before or after work.

If you have been out of MA's/fitness for a bit then you might want to improve your fitness for a few months before joining a class - you don't want to "gas out" on your first class

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Talk to your MD, period.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

I've been cleared to do a striking art. I can hit but can't get hit because of risk of being on the thinners.

Regular exercise is boring to me. So I like to be learning useful skills while exercising. Hence, martial arts.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
    I've been cleared to do a striking art. I can hit but can't get hit because of risk of being on the thinners.

Regular exercise is boring to me. So I like to be learning useful skills while exercising. Hence, martial arts.

Your post is an oxymoron.

Can you do BJJ?

Only can do a striking art.

I'm able to kick and punch thing's, I'm just not allowed to take hits. Not an oxymoron.

Style
    Kendo
    Why is grappling a risk when on blood thinners?

Not sure. I asked if I could do a grappling art and was told no.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
    Not sure. I asked if I could do a grappling art and was told no.
    You should know the rational behind your treatments and your limitations.
    Call your doc's office and have a nurse familiar with your situation explain it to you.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Why is grappling a risk when on blood thinners?
    Possibly because they're concerned about damage to the arterial walls in the neck arteries from chokehold? Or maybe they're just playing it safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last