1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7
    1

    How to escape a Von Flue choke

    Can someone provide me with tips on how to escape a von flue choke. I couldn't find any on youtube as they show guillotine defense into von flue chokes. The natural way to get out of it is to let go of the guillotine choke. I saw my opponent going for the von flue so I let goes as I was being pushed to my back but by then he had wrapped his arms around me like a seat belt and drove his shoulder into my throat and then rotated to apply the choke. How can I escape from this or prevent? I let go out the guillotine choke fairly quickly but it didn't help.His arms around me prevented me from rotating out of the von flue. Thanks

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    50
    Style
    GJJ, Wrestling, Kyokushin
    Can't find any information other than to let go of guillotine as soon as opponent goes into side control position.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    902
    Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    3
    Any technique that's locked up gives little options to escape...

    That said I can simplify a strategy for you: BJJ is about the hips. Whats happening in youre focusing on your hands and opponents neck for a choke rather than the position of your hips. Von Flue (or any arm triangle variant) are great counters to guillotines attempted from poor hip position. First and foremost for a good guillotine is good hip position- after that its just details. The problem with your guillotine isn't your hands but rather your hips as your opponent has to defeat them to get into position to do the choke in the first place. As you begin to put your hips in better positions you'll find your opponents passing options are significantly less until they're non existent. Simply put, I would wager you're attempting guillotines from positions of poor positional dominance (for example, are your hips free, are you on your side, etc?)

    That's the long winded version of "don't get in it..."

  4. #4
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,686
    Style
    Jits
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by boldeagle67 View Post
    Can't find any information other than to let go of guillotine as soon as opponent goes into side control position.
    You have to let go the guillotine before the opponent goes into side control.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    50
    Style
    GJJ, Wrestling, Kyokushin
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    You have to let go the guillotine before the opponent goes into side control.
    I stand corrected.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    24,491
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    You have to let go the guillotine before the opponent goes into side control.

    ^^^^^That. Be careful though, some people will lock your arm in the position.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    ^^^^^That. Be careful though, some people will lock your arm in the position.
    Yeah this is what happen to me. I let go as he was pushing me to the matt and I let go but all in one motion he wrapped his arms around me pushed back and drove his shoulder into my throat as I let go. He rotated and I tapped. Maybe I'll look up proper guillotine techniques which will prevent the von flue . I've only been rolling 4 months

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    24,491
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by mckinney View Post
    Yeah this is what happen to me. I let go as he was pushing me to the matt and I let go but all in one motion he wrapped his arms around me pushed back and drove his shoulder into my throat as I let go. He rotated and I tapped. Maybe I'll look up proper guillotine techniques which will prevent the von flue . I've only been rolling 4 months
    Very basic mistake, always angle your hip against the rotation away from the head (If you have your opponents head on your left side then tilt your right hip up). If he does pass then hip escape away to free your arm. Which was mentioned before.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in