Style
    MMA

Fightin' with Hook Swords

A while back, I got a set of synthetic tiger head hooks. Last night, I finally took some footage sparring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so2bNAqKoNs&t=3s

My main take away is that hook swords are really f-bombing hard to use. I learned a bit of them when I was doing CMA, and there's all these cool moves where you parrying and bind and trap then close in to attack with the short end. Like so much of CMA, it's way easier said than done. Especially when the other guy also has two swords.
    At the same time, that difficulty of use makes them really satisfying in a way that using sword-shaped swords is not. It's like playing a fighting game using a shitty character (The "Jigglypuff Effect," if you will).
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    I like that all sorts of exotic sparring blades are becoming available. It kinda highlights how weapon sparring is largely a fun hobby more than a serious self defense affair, which I agree with.

Style
    Mixed
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I like that all sorts of exotic sparring blades are becoming available. It kinda highlights how weapon sparring is largely a fun hobby more than a serious self defense affair, which I agree with.
    They were not military weapons. By comparison the humble dao is super simple to use and just as deadly.

Sparring with real ones can be hazardous. They are more like an acrobatic weapon like the sectional staff. The Shaolin troupes can do some amazing stunts, but only with years of practice.

I guess if you put the time in and didn't lose fingers along the way, it might be cool to master.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/07/2017 11:09am at .