Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Most effective martial art for self defense?

I did karate when I was a kid stopped after a few months. In a real world scenario, like on the subway or the street, whats the best martial art for self defense?

Style
    GJJ, Wrestling, Kyokushin
    Probably go with something that has realistic sparring not based on a point system.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by boldeagle67 View Post
    Probably go with something that has realistic sparring not based on a point system.
    I like the concept of points being used to train good habits, but yeah, I am with you when the whole and/or end goal is points. You are now "playing" instead of "fighting".

Which is great! Judo is most players, TKD is mostly players, BJJ is mostly players. Boxing and kickboxing are often mostly players. You only get what I think of as experience of being a "truly skilled fighter" till you start crossing those lines... even if you just play at it all. If you are putting all the stuff you play at together under some pressure testing you are doing better than those who just spar hard in their comfort zones and mentally masturbate to Whatifical Theory else where.

MMA just happens to be a handy set of generic rulesets to put it all together under.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Basic Tech ===============> YMAS

Wrong Forum: Dead horses and SyleVSstyle not Basic Techniques.

Uhhhhhhhhhhgggggg.

Welcome to Bullshido. Please read the stickies etc.
    LuvUbyebuy!
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Style
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I like the concept of points being used to train good habits, but yeah, I am with you when the whole and/or end goal is points. You are now "playing" instead of "fighting".

Which is great! Judo is most players, TKD is mostly players, BJJ is mostly players. Boxing and kickboxing are often mostly players. You only get what I think of as experience of being a "truly skilled fighter" till you start crossing those lines... even if you just play at it all. If you are putting all the stuff you play at together under some pressure testing you are doing better than those who just spar hard in their comfort zones and mentally masturbate to Whatifical Theory else where.

MMA just happens to be a handy set of generic rulesets to put it all together under.
    True. I didn't want to dismiss all other styles but MMA is the only true "safe bet" to cover all aspects in a single style.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by boldeagle67 View Post
    True. I didn't want to dismiss all other styles but MMA is the only true "safe bet" to cover all aspects in a single style.
    When people talk about "self defense" they usually actually mean: MMA with short blades and small arms or they want TKD+Karate+NimpoTaiJitsuRyuDildo4thMoonKiWaxOffMed itation.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

---Jean-Paul Sartre

Style
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    When people talk about "self defense" they usually actually mean: MMA with short blades and small arms or they want TKD+Karate+NimpoTaiJitsuRyuDildo4thMoonKiWaxOffMed itation.
    Yes yes!!! YES!!! Gimme this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Diet and exercise.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Although of the two above options, I would definitely go with the MMA w/ small blades and little arms. Less Bullshido of the two options.

Style
    Kwon Do
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or Shotokan Karate.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last