Page 2 of 8 First 123456 ... Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    741
    Style
    Bjj
    I dunno it seems alot easier to prove just by sailing around the world.

  2. #12
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    16,298
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    I dunno it seems alot easier to prove just by sailing around the world.
    According to Flat Earthers you aren't going "around" a globe but navigating on a flat plane around the continents.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

  3. #13
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    16,298
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Instead of rockets why not Paraglide to 15,000 ft? You can see the curvature from there pretty decently.

    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

  4. #14
    1bad65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Wilco, TX
    Posts
    4,807
    Style
    boxing, gjj
    -1
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    According to Flat Earthers you aren't going "around" a globe but navigating on a flat plane around the continents.
    So that's how they explain that.
    "Oh my God. What a bunch of pussies! Back in my day, if you wanted to tease someone you did it to their face. There was honor, respect." -Sensei Johnny Lawrence, on cyberbullying

  5. #15
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    6,736
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    3
    Earth is flat, relatively speaking. Difference between the highest peak and lowest point of the oceans is less than 0.05% of the circumference. IIRC, that's a couple hundred times "flatter" than the surface of an orange. So, yeah, if you shrunk Earth to the size of an orange, it would feel to you like holding a big smooth glass ball.

    Unfortunately, you need actual science to determine that.

    This guy is a hero, of sorts - he will be redefining flat, come Saturday afternoon.

  6. #16
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,987
    Style
    judo hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Earth is flat, relatively speaking. Difference between the highest peak and lowest point of the oceans is less than 0.05% of the circumference. IIRC, that's a couple hundred times "flatter" than the surface of an orange. So, yeah, if you shrunk Earth to the size of an orange, it would feel to you like holding a big smooth glass ball.

    Unfortunately, you need actual science to determine that.

    This guy is a hero, of sorts - he will be redefining flat, come Saturday afternoon.
    Mud puddles are flat. I see what you did.

  7. #17
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    14,547
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    Can't he just use one of those weather balloons they claim hold up satellites?

  8. #18
    1bad65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Wilco, TX
    Posts
    4,807
    Style
    boxing, gjj
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Can't he just use one of those weather balloons they claim hold up satellites?
    That's been done before, and it worked.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Walters
    "Oh my God. What a bunch of pussies! Back in my day, if you wanted to tease someone you did it to their face. There was honor, respect." -Sensei Johnny Lawrence, on cyberbullying

  9. #19
    Tranquil Suit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,972
    Style
    Pumping iron
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    seems a few years ago he had an issue with the parachute deployment and shredding.
    Ha, he uses the same intro graphic as Holy Moment.
    go to http://www.bullshido.net/forums/prof...do=editoptions > under Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

  10. #20
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ripton, MA
    Posts
    13,199
    Style
    Mixed
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    My headline pretty much says it all. This story smells like death:
    https://apnews.com/9d8e5e8e9245412ab...ver-ghost-town
    Did he really just say Eval Knievel was "average" and stole his look from Elvis? He must be referencing this quote:
    I guess I thought I was Elvis Presley but I'll tell ya something. All Elvis did was stand on a stage and play a guitar. He never fell off on that pavement at no 80 mph.
    He doesn't seem too bright, more like a stuntman with a new version of shooting yourself out of a cannon...rockets, but without all the science. It's worth noting that Knieval's infamous Snake River failure was largely a fault in his own steam-powered rocket cycle.

    I hope this dummy's steam powered rocket is well insulated and pressurized or he's going to have some issues with the temperature and pressure drop as he ascends into the troposphere. Heat and pressure are important for steam power, and he's going to run out of both quickly at 500 mph...

    I expect his parachute apparatus to ice up, causing him to fall to his death.

Page 2 of 8 First 123456 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in