Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #21
    ermghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    4,785
    Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kendamu View Post
    You can easily tel the difference between forced humbleness and people who are less egotistical and more chill through training. At my gym, most people are pretty chill even though they're a bunch'a killers. Where I've seen forced or faked humbleness is mostly in styles where everyone's out of shape and nobody actually fights.
    Was it HM that posted the hypothetical conversation between an Akidoka and a normal person that went from pseudophilosophical smugness to "I WILL BREAK EVERY WRIST IN YOUR BODY"? in about four questions?
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay area, ca
    Posts
    506
    Style
    mt/bjj
    2
    I think forced humbleness is a trend in BJJ, those guys orginally started to challenge other arts. I think humility is good but not exactly humbleness, staying open mindes to getting better IMO is not hunbleness.

    Just express your self!
    Martial arts are to better our selves, no psuedo humble attitude.

    I agree that some fighters are trying way too hard to sell fights and they aren't being their genuine self.

  3. #23
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,653
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    3
    Humbleness is a social strategy to make friends and not encourage random bullshitery from little dicked loud mouthed blow hards with something to prove. It is also the most polite way to sandbag and then Hulk Smash people with style and grace.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  4. #24
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,734
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by big maclol View Post
    I think forced humbleness is a trend in BJJ, those guys orginally started to challenge other arts. I think humility is good but not exactly humbleness, staying open mindes to getting better IMO is not hunbleness.

    Just express your self!
    Martial arts are to better our selves, no psuedo humble attitude.

    I agree that some fighters are trying way too hard to sell fights and they aren't being their genuine self.
    It's all about the marketing being the biggest baddest guy in the world doesn't appeal to soccer moms that much or geeky guys who want to fantasize about being Fighters.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #25
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    14,440
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    1
    It takes a certain lack of humbleness to start a dojo- to assume that your martial arts knowledge and skills are good enough that they'll attract and retain a student body large enough to pay the rent and keep the lights on and generate profit.

  6. #26
    Tranquil Suit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,813
    Style
    Pumping iron
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Was it HM that posted the hypothetical conversation between an Akidoka and a normal person that went from pseudophilosophical smugness to "I WILL BREAK EVERY WRIST IN YOUR BODY"? in about four questions?
    yes



    12345
    go to http://www.bullshido.net/forums/prof...do=editoptions > under Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

  7. #27
    Kovacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,302
    Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    It takes a certain lack of humbleness to start a dojo- to assume that your martial arts knowledge and skills are good enough that they'll attract and retain a student body large enough to pay the rent and keep the lights on and generate profit.
    True, same applies for people that promote being humble but give themselves a title of ‘Master’ and are happy to indulge ranking based and often hierarchical system that is clearly defined by coloured belts.
    Ne Obliviscaris

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,518
    5
    Humility, you illiterate buffoons.

  9. #29
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,653
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Humility, you illiterate buffoons.
    shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

    besides the spell checker is totes cool with humbleness and
    Quote Originally Posted by websters
    Synonyms of humbleness
    demureness, down-to-earthness, humility, lowliness, meekness, modesty
    I would rather everyone use modest and modesty.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  10. #30
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    5,589
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

    besides the spell checker is totes cool with humbleness and

    I would rather everyone use modest and modesty.
    I just want a return to normality.

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in