Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Looking for a legit TMA school

Hi, I'm from Long Island of NY and new to the martial arts. I would really appreciate anyones help of a good TMA school around my area. Someone who's been teaching it for years, not just focused on kata forms and drill moves but covers all aspects of training from stand up moves to ground, self defense moves, sparring is fine and if they do forms, weapons and stuff like that, that's fine with me too. I don't care so much about which style it is as long as it's a well legit guy who can be trusted. I just don't wanna end up at a place that will scam me into believing I'm learning something just to take my money that uses you, especially just use you as a test dummy and doesn't teach you anything, since I tried a few before and didn't find them very helpful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Style
    GJJ, Wrestling, Kyokushin
    You will have a hard time finding good groundwork at a TMA school, they don't really focus on that sort of stuff. If it is included in the curriculum, it will be watered down compared to modern styles.

Style
    GJJ, Wrestling, Kyokushin
    Also, if you don't want to be scammed into learning something inferior, I would recommend not going to TMA school. If you do learn something effective it will only be in bits and pieces.

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    What does "traditional" mean to you?

Anyway the answer is judo

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Not sure why this was in MABS, BFM and I both missed it.

Anyways, what Lindz said, if you want traditional. Also, why are you looking for TMA? You have to take your goals into consideration, and the fact that what you want may not be what you're looking for. Matt Serra has a couple of locations on LI, that's where I would be training if I wanted "all aspects of training from stand up moves to ground, self defense moves, sparring is fine... I don't care so much about which style it is as long as it's a well legit guy who can be trusted"

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    The name doesn't do the school justice if I am reading everything correctly.

Even the what would normally be the traditional LARPing class looks really fun.
    http://combatjudobjj.com/seizon.html
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 12/27/2017 4:13pm at .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

Style
    Judo
    How are you defining "legit"?

If you define legit as "authentic verifiable lineage and true to the original curriculum of the art's founder", then you are going to probably be looking for something much different than if you define legit as "having direct practical application and effectiveness in a fight".

I don't think it's possible to separate "legit" shotokan karate from the forms and kata without it ceasing to be traditional and authentic shotokan.

If you want to learn a traditional martial arts style, then you are going to be doing a lot of forms and kata, and it will most likely be of limited advantage in anything resembling a "real fight".

Unfortunately, you can't make an apple pie from a sack of oranges.

And, just to repeat what has already been said... judo is the answer you are looking for.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutcracker, sweet View Post
    Not sure why this was in MABS, BFM and I both missed it.

Anyways, what Lindz said, if you want traditional. Also, why are you looking for TMA? You have to take your goals into consideration, and the fact that what you want may not be what you're looking for. Matt Serra has a couple of locations on LI, that's where I would be training if I wanted "all aspects of training from stand up moves to ground, self defense moves, sparring is fine... I don't care so much about which style it is as long as it's a well legit guy who can be trusted"
    Well since I'm new to martial arts I've heard different opinions from different people and I'd like to go to a place that has a bit of everything but uses the training effectively. Mainly my goals are for learning good self defense moves that can end the fight quick but just techniques, still focuses on endurance, strength training, weapons, sparring so you get used to fighting someone. A place that mixes traditional with modern style.

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    How are you defining "legit"?

If you define legit as "authentic verifiable lineage and true to the original curriculum of the art's founder", then you are going to probably be looking for something much different than if you define legit as "having direct practical application and effectiveness in a fight".

I don't think it's possible to separate "legit" shotokan karate from the forms and kata without it ceasing to be traditional and authentic shotokan.

If you want to learn a traditional martial arts style, then you are going to be doing a lot of forms and kata, and it will most likely be of limited advantage in anything resembling a "real fight".

Unfortunately, you can't make an apple pie from a sack of oranges.

And, just to repeat what has already been said... judo is the answer you are looking for.
    I guess there is a difference between authentic lineage and practical effectiveness but again, I've just recently got interested in trying out MA so I don't know much about schools. I heard of this place called Seitougha Goju Ryu Karate which I think is a mix of traditional, self defense with some MMA fighting but I don't know much about it. A friend of mine told me he went years back to a place, Master Parellas which he seemed to have mixed views on but said check it out if I'm looking for martial arts and my coworker said he goes to Goshinkan Dojo which teaches Jiujitsu which I assume is ground and stand up moves? He didn't mention to me whether it was a good place or not.

I'll probably check them out, do any of you know if any of these schools are good? If it's not what I'm looking for I'll check out a judo school or MMA gym.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last