Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: Jits joints

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    I generally use a 'rolled' grip. Like if i grab a sleeve or pants cuff ill roll the grip in to make a fist if that makes sense. I don't keep my arms all stiff and just brute force things. Ill use the lighter grips though and see how i go.
    It's good to pay attention to how you are gripping (as in how much force you are using).

By rolling, I'm guessing you mean you take all the slack out of the sleeve or pants leg.

Have you tried cat's paw or pistol grips ? They each have specific advantages. Cat's paw is good for pulling, pistol grip is better for "steering".

If you also lift weights plus do BJJ, you may not be getting enough recovery time. Especially if you are approaching old-fart status.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    It's good to pay attention to how you are gripping (as in how much force you are using).

By rolling, I'm guessing you mean you take all the slack out of the sleeve or pants leg.

Have you tried cat's paw or pistol grips ? They each have specific advantages. Cat's paw is good for pulling, pistol grip is better for "steering".

If you also lift weights plus do BJJ, you may not be getting enough recovery time. Especially if you are approaching old-fart status.
    Actually i just started to do weights to build some strength but i do it on my 'off days'. Yeah rolling i mean take slack out, if someone breaks the grip hard it can hurt if you dont let go as they do it i have learnt. This cat paw sounds interesting ill have a look into it. also pistol grip for steering is awesome, never thought of using it like that. I never use pistol grip as i find it gets removed quick, going to try it for steering for sure. Thanks man.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Googled cat paw grip and saw a video. If its the grip the dark gi is using thats the 'rolled' grip i use. (Some of the terms ive learnt may differ from others. My coach is a brazilian and isnt fluent in english).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1739.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	17571  

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im generally in great health but lately my joints have been pretty sore
    Hey at least while you figure out how to avoid the joint pain you've been getting - try using P.R.I.C.E in the meantime.
    P - Protection (use a brace or finger tape or something like that)
    R - Rest (take it if you need it)
    I - Ice (Ice for 15/20 mins after training)
    C - Compression (Compress sore joints after icing)
    E - Elevation (this can help, I don't use it all the time tho).
    I've been using this for sore joints in Jiu Jitsu and its helped a lot.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Googled cat paw grip and saw a video. If its the grip the dark gi is using thats the 'rolled' grip i use. (Some of the terms ive learnt may differ from others. My coach is a brazilian and isnt fluent in english).
    That would be cat's paw, yes.

I find that once people learn how to properly break grips, they can do so, so, as in standing work in Judo, you have to
    a.) have a truly gorilla grip and/or
    b.) learn how to use more than just strong grips to control or attack opponent, as in, have plan a b c d (action-reaction sequences).

Of course, at highest levels of comp, everybody will have gorilla grip and know which grip to use, and how to use place it so it is difficult to break/cut.

Most guys are younger and stronger than me, despite my judo grip (LOL), and can rip/strip my grips at will once they are taught proper methods.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    what style?
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could switch no gi for little for while, give your hands a bit of break from grip fighting?

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lant3rn View Post
    You could switch no gi for little for while, give your hands a bit of break from grip fighting?
    Theres only no gi once a week where i train :'(. I decided for the last roll last night i would roll no gi style in a gi (no grips) and found it hard because my partner was gripping as per usual and something as simply as posturing up was tough. https://youtu.be/UPw-3e_pzqU

Style
    what style?
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never tapped my hands for grappling but the instructor does everyday before, that’s supposed to help as well.

You should have more no gi classes :)

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I decided for the last roll last night i would roll no gi style in a gi (no grips) and found it hard because my partner was gripping as per usual and something as simply as posturing up was tough.
    What I meant earlier about rolling without relying on gi-based death grips isnít to roll entirely as if the gi werenít there. Thatís not what I do. I donít know if this works for getting very good, because Iím still only a blue belt, but what I do is:

- start with or default to guards that work without gi grips, like butterfly or x or single leg x or knee shield half
    - use, but do not rely on, any ďgrip killerĒ guards like spider or lasso or cross-collar closed
    - use the gi when it comes up, e.g. for a collar choke or two per day, or if I see a jigoku jime opportunity, or to grab the pants for a standing pass or to free a leg from half-guard

I still totally grab the belt and pants to posture up against someoneís closed guard! I still grab the pants to pass! (though I do notice that no-gi passes often still work or require only brief additions of grip to be gi-applicable). I still use the lasso occasionally! I just donít rely on it or play it as my A-game.

The essence here is to conserve your gripping, because gripping hard takes energy during a roll, and over the course of days and weeks it takes up valuable recovery resources that are also being spent by your strength and conditioning program. I'd rather save my grip for finishing submissions and old age and typing for work than spend it all playing guard.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started taking vitamin B12 a number of years ago for something unrelated and it eradicated my finger pain and stiffness.
    Not sure if there is any science behind it but now I take it daily with three different supplements (BCAA/Berrocca/A-Z) and I have never had it come back.
    King without a crown

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last