Page 2 of 8 First 123456 ... Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    1,237
    Style
    MMA, Grappling
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
    I disagree. Aikido is useless no matter which training method
    alright, you won me back over.

  2. #12
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    14,442
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    This topic has been beat to death. Training methods matter more than style, because the basics are really what counts and most effective striking martial arts share the basic concepts of power generation and structural support and balance. TKD, in general, is a mediocre striking art because it varies from the tried and true methods of power generation of boxing, muay thai, savate, kontact karates and kickboxing. It can get the job done, technically, especially against an untrained rube, but tends to fall apart out of an individuals weight class in the streets and against people who actually fight in most any situation.
    Savate kicking mechanics are basically like TKD with shoes.

  3. #13
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,802
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Savate kicking mechanics are basically like TKD with shoes.
    They definitely tend to commit more, use straight legs without the chamber or snap and generally shoot towards KISS, also their punching mechanics tend to lean more towards boxing instead of chambered reverse punch nonsense.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  4. #14
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,802
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
    I disagree. Aikido is useless no matter which training method
    I was specifically speaking of striking arts and if you want to split hairs Aikido's biggest issue is its training methods. Technically it is basically just JJJ and fails because of the aversion to physical conflict and training methods not the techniques, in theory many of the techniques are sound.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    23
    Wrong. It is Japanese jujitsu, meaning little to no groundgame submissions (unlike Judo and BJJ), just useless joint lock fluff and throws. Anybody who did Japanese jujitsu in the 80s will tell you that it has limited to no groundgame submissions. And Aikido is basically watered down Japanese jujitsu.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    23
    Can someone explain to me why Taekwondo gets so much more **** than traditional Karate styles? The training is equally soft and kid friendly. And let's not go into the absolutely dreadful Karate point fighting.

  7. #17
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,364
    Style
    judo hiatus
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
    Wrong. It is Japanese jujitsu, meaning little to no groundgame submissions (unlike Judo and BJJ), just useless joint lock fluff and throws. Anybody who did Japanese jujitsu in the 80s will tell you that it has limited to no groundgame submissions. And Aikido is basically watered down Japanese jujitsu.
    Wrong. It is training methodology. TKD gets a bad rap from the way it is usually trained. Tag with no head knocking. Doesn't mean all TKD is crap. Just too much.

    You ever work with any aikidoka who've solid skills in other martial arts? It's not all crap. Just another tool in the box.
    Last edited by hungryjoe; 11/06/2017 9:09pm at .

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    23
    I have faced a dedicated Aikido guy who I simply lifted up and threw out of the ring. He had absolutely no weapons.

  9. #19
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,802
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
    Can someone explain to me why Taekwondo gets so much more **** than traditional Karate styles?
    It doesn't.
    The training is equally soft and kid friendly.
    You are correct. 1 and 2 step sparring and compliant slappy tap fests and breaking boards all being complete with a KIA(P)! and armpit chambered reverse punch.
    And let's not go into the absolutely dreadful Karate point fighting.
    Any stop/start light contact game of tag is just a stop/start light contact game of tag. It doesn't matter what flag is flying at the All Ages Asian Themed Daycare Center and LARPing Academy.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  10. #20

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    24,491
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
    Lol. The sparring rules are kickboxing but maybe that's not a combat sport
    As an ITF blackbelt I would like to disagree with you.

Page 2 of 8 First 123456 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in