Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    99
    -2

    Bullshidos opinion on ITF TaeKwonDo?

    ITF is the original style of TaeKwonDo. Here are some of the pros and cons as I see them

    + lots of mitts work

    - undue time given to patterns

    + 50/50 training on punching and kicking

    - no real training in head movement

    + cool kicks

    - some kicks need modification in a sparring format (heavy chambering is easily telegraphed) making you train techniques that arent applicable

    + nice conditioning

    - sparring does not allow low kicks

    + sparring allows punches to the face

    - sparring does not allow more than two punches in succession, and only straight punches are permitted.

    What do you guys think about ITF TaeKwonDo?

  2. #2
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,288
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    3
    MMA and Combat Sports Forum: Boxing, UFC, etc. ------> YMAS

    Your content sucks.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    99
    I have placed it correctly

  4. #4
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,288
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
    I have placed it correctly
    Some random stupid staff member disagreed.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    99
    Lol. The sparring rules are kickboxing but maybe that's not a combat sport

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    211
    Style
    MMA,BJJ, Gongkwon Yusul
    This thread is about the style as a whole, correct? Not just its competitive format?

    My impression of ITF taekwondo is that it's even variable than WTF for quality, with some tippy-tappy sparring schools, some full contact. Is this roughly correct?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    99
    It depends on who you spar in the club. Those with kickboxing background go full swing on the shots, those that are pure ITF tend to throw more push kicks.

    I go full contact to the body with the kickboxers, and semi contact to the face.

    We are taught to drive through the targets in mitts practise though. So the competition rules does not shape our training. Some bad trainers will though, but not the old school ones.

  8. #8
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,288
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
    It depends on who you spar in the club. Those with kickboxing background go full swing on the shots, those that are pure ITF tend to throw more push kicks.

    I go full contact to the body with the kickboxers, and semi contact to the face.

    We are taught to drive through the targets in mitts practise though. So the competition rules does not shape our training. Some bad trainers will though, but not the old school ones.
    This topic has been beat to death. Training methods matter more than style, because the basics are really what counts and most effective striking martial arts share the basic concepts of power generation and structural support and balance. TKD, in general, is a mediocre striking art because it varies from the tried and true methods of power generation of boxing, muay thai, savate, kontact karates and kickboxing. It can get the job done, technically, especially against an untrained rube, but tends to fall apart out of an individuals weight class in the streets and against people who actually fight in most any situation.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 11/03/2017 9:59am at .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  9. #9
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,288
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    1
    TKD is basically korean foot wing chun but light contact limited rule set ( occasionally medium contact and scrappy) based instead of mostly faith based, so it has that going for it.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    This topic has been beat to death. Training methods matter more than style, because the basics are really what counts and most effective striking martial arts share the basic concepts of power generation and structural support and balance. TKD, in general, is a mediocre striking art because it varies from the tried and true methods of power generation of boxing, muay thai, savate, kontact karates and kickboxing. It can get the job done, technically, especially against an untrained rube, but tends to fall apart out of an individuals weight class in the streets and against people who actually fight in most any situation.

    I disagree. Aikido is useless no matter which training method

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in