Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. #11
    Michael Tzadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    1,371
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    2
    Mohammad Bin Thaloub Al-Darei, president of the UAE’s Judo Federation, and Aref Al-Awani, another senior Emirates sports official, apologized to Israeli Judo Association head Moshe Ponte over the fact that an athlete from the UAE refused to shake hands with an Israeli judoka after a match during the several-day tournament, according to a statement from the International Judo Federation.
    Source: https://www.bjjee.com/articles/uae-a...s-nationality/

    So they snub the entire team with the flag and anthem thing, then they expect their athletes to act with sportsmanship toward them? Sorry but it doesn't compute.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    1,199
    Style
    MMA, Grappling
    1
    I wish someone would come along, take Israel and Arab countries by the ear, and spank their asses. It's been 60 years, people need to grow the **** up and do what is best for their people.

  3. #13
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,152
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    Kano had nothing against the Berlin Olympics.
    Context, much ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #14
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,152
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Kano had his doubts about including Judo in the Olympics

    "I have been asked by people of various sections as to the wisdom and possibility of Judo being introduced with other games and sports at the Olympic Games. My view on the matter, at present, is rather passive. If it be the desire of other member countries I have no objection. But I do not feel inclined to take any initiative. For one thing, Judo, in reality, is not a mere sport or game. I regard it as a principle of life, art and science. In fact it is a means for personal cultural attainment. Only one of the forms of Judo training, so-called Randori or free practice, can be classed as a form of sport. Certainly, to some extent, the same may be said of boxing and fencing, but today they are practised and conducted as sports. Then, the Olympic Games are so strongly flavoured with Nationalism that it is possible to be influenced by it and to develop 'Contest Judo,' a retrograde form as Ju Jutsu was before Kodokwan Judo was founded."
    http://ejmas.com/jcs/2004jcs/jcsart_svinth_0504.htm
    Thanks for putting that up. I was trying to remember where to find it.

    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #15
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,152
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Source: https://www.bjjee.com/articles/uae-a...s-nationality/

    So they snub the entire team with the flag and anthem thing, then they expect their athletes to act with sportsmanship toward them? Sorry but it doesn't compute.
    I'm sure this is not why there is no hand-shaking in that scenario, however, shaking hands is absolutely not required or necessary at the end of a Judo match.

    The ritsurei is completely sufficient under the current rules, and of course long term customs of Judo.

    At one point, many years ago, we were told to NOT shake hands, because it used up too much time (in aggregate), and prolonged the length of the tournament.

    Personally, to me it's a sign on weakness on the part of the UAE, Egyptians, or whatever other weak-assed nation behaves in such a manner.

    They need to just go ahead and try to invade Israel again, and get their asses handed to them again, instead of all this passive-aggressive bullshit.

    Buncha fucking pussies is what they are.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    439
    Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Context, much ?
    Well he did represent Japan at the Berlin Olympics of 1938:

    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    He did not play much part in organizing the Far Eastern Championship Games held in Osaka in May 1923, nor did he attend the 1924 Olympics in Paris, but he did represent Japan at the Olympics in Amsterdam (1928), Los Angeles (1932), and Berlin (1936). From 1931 to 1938, he was also one of the leading international spokesmen in Japan's bid for the 1940 Olympics.[35][44]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kan%C5...mpic_Committee

    I just find the idea that the IJF is going against Kano ideals for not punishing some nations for anti-Israel behaviour ironic, since Kano was a member of a government allied with nazi Germany and fascist Italy, and represented said government in Hitler's Olympics. Japanese government was quite fascist too in its own way, although I think they weren't antisemitic.

    How can we square this with Kano's ideals of pacifism and world friendliness?

    Option (1): He believed that sport was useful to put people together, including people with different ideals, so he was for an inclusive view. In this hypothesis, the IJF was totally following Kano's ideals by keeping the anti-Israelians in;

    Option (2): Kano was a pacifist but also a man of his times, he probably believed that the colonialist policy of Japan was justified under some historical theory, and probably held many beliefs that we now consider crazy extreme right wing warmongery. But from his point of view, he saw no direct conflict between these beliefs and these ideals. In this hypothesis, I think that the idea that the IJF should ban anti-israeli governments to keep with Kano's ideal still quite strange.

    Options 1 and 2 are not mutually exclusive.

  7. #17
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,152
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    Well he did represent Japan at the Berlin Olympics of 1938:


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kan%C5...mpic_Committee

    I just find the idea that the IJF is going against Kano ideals for not punishing some nations for anti-Israel behaviour ironic, since Kano was a member of a government allied with nazi Germany and fascist Italy, and represented said government in Hitler's Olympics. Japanese government was quite fascist too in its own way, although I think they weren't antisemitic.

    How can we square this with Kano's ideals of pacifism and world friendliness?

    Option (1): He believed that sport was useful to put people together, including people with different ideals, so he was for an inclusive view. In this hypothesis, the IJF was totally following Kano's ideals by keeping the anti-Israelians in;

    Option (2): Kano was a pacifist but also a man of his times, he probably believed that the colonialist policy of Japan was justified under some historical theory, and probably held many beliefs that we now consider crazy extreme right wing warmongery. But from his point of view, he saw no direct conflict between these beliefs and these ideals. In this hypothesis, I think that the idea that the IJF should ban anti-israeli governments to keep with Kano's ideal still quite strange.

    Options 1 and 2 are not mutually exclusive.
    The IJF is in the sports-entertainment business.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    485
    Style
    Bjj
    Was it an actual IJF competition or was it like the abu dhabi trials in bjj where 'abu dhabi' is the name of the tournament?

    I wonder if martial art mindset of respecting your opponent and having discipline is even taught in the arab countries.

    This **** annoys me. You wont see a german, russian or japanese person not shake hands with an american because of former conflicts. If UAE was at war with israel like for example north vs south korea then i could understand. Even then i think a south korean would shake hands with a north korean.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in