Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT

JFK: Declassified

Or will it be? I've been following this for a few days, now. About all I can say, at this point, is I have no idea what's going on, but it's shaping up to be wonderful conspiracy fodder.

About 35,000 documents surrounding the JFK assassination have been unavailable to the public. A law passed in 1992 said that all of this information would become public 25 years later. That deadline expires tonight, and, while a whole bunch of stuff has been released, there's still a bunch more that various agencies are racing to hold back in the 11th hour. Worse movies have been made.

Trump tweeted yesterday that he was looking forward to the release - seemingly indicating that he's going to override any concerns that should arise.

So, what's going to happen? I guess we'll know in about 6 hours...

Style
    Karate
    Finally, we find there is a second shooter, and we discover it really was the Smoking Man from the X-Files.

More seriously, like a lot of historical mysteries the time of impact and action is behind us. That the historical record can be made more accurate is a positive. However, when we look at the internet and conspiracy theories, even if the truth is more clearly established by having more refined information, there will be people who cannot see it and will create or continue conspiracies. There will always be a percentage of people given to intrigue even when it is not present.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtnira View Post
    Finally, we find there is a second shooter, and we discover it really was the Smoking Man from the X-Files.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Karate
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzpn5m8AINs
    Here is it is, from the X-Files episode where a young Smoking Man is the second shooter.

I just read on CNN that some files will continue to be withheld from the public purview due to their interest to national security and intelligence concerns.... And, we are off to the conspiracy races! My money is on the Mafia, in retaliation for Bobby Kennedy trying to shut down the Mob (Mob revenge hit). (That was humor, just for clarity.) I'm sure someone else will be betting on LBJ (coup plotter who stood to gain), or the Cuban Communists (in retaliation for assassination attempts on Castro). I've also heard it was the Deep State because Kennedy wanted to get out of Vietnam (it wasn't our fight) and that he wanted to normalize relations with Moscow.

Unfortunately, when some files are withheld like this after such a long time, all it does is continue to fuel the fringe thinkers. The argument will be if there wasn't something there, they wouldn't be hiding them from the public.

I knew a man once who had a first edition of every book written on the Kennedy assassination, including the original Warren Commission and the 1977 Stokes Commission. He was a second shooter believer (but not of the X-Files type). The withholding of files will only keep the circus going.
    Last edited by mrtnira; 10/26/2017 5:58pm at . Reason: Clarity.

Style
    Bjj
    Hypothetically lets just say it was set up by the cia. What happens then? They get shut down and re-open under a new name? Would any difference be made if 'what really happened' was to come to light?

Style
    Karate
    Kravbizarre, you hit the nail on the head. At this point it -- the assassination -- is long ago and far away. Nothing would happen. If something did happen, and there was a reorganization, the needs of governance would simply recreate the thing under a new structure, as you suggest. And, that this thread isn't burning up with posts, the topic is well worn and people have largely moved on. It is a curiosity now, not a point of action.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Or will it be? I've been following this for a few days, now. About all I can say, at this point, is I have no idea what's going on, but it's shaping up to be wonderful conspiracy fodder.

About 35,000 documents surrounding the JFK assassination have been unavailable to the public. A law passed in 1992 said that all of this information would become public 25 years later. That deadline expires tonight, and, while a whole bunch of stuff has been released, there's still a bunch more that various agencies are racing to hold back in the 11th hour. Worse movies have been made.

Trump tweeted yesterday that he was looking forward to the release - seemingly indicating that he's going to override any concerns that should arise.

So, what's going to happen? I guess we'll know in about 6 hours...
    Trump bitched out.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

I follow the assassination research through a website run by Jefferson Morley, a former Washington Post Reporter.

My personal take is that the CIA is suppressing documents that are highly embarrassing to them. The most likely possibility is that they had been performing surveillance on Lee Harvey in the months prior to the assassination. There are several possible reasons for this. They may have been evaluating whether they should recruit him, (through a false flag) as a low level spy. They may have been interested in whether he was a counter intelligence threat. (working for Russia where he had spent several years of his life). They might have simply found he was a person of interest in his involvement with the pro-Castro movement.

Now Imagine there are documents indicating that some CIA asset had conversations with Oswald, prior to the assassination in which Oswald indicated that he wanted to kill JFK or another American political leader, and the CIA did nothing, including not warning the Secret Service or the FBI's Dallas office about Lee Harvey Oswald prior to Kennedy's trip to Dallas. That would have resulted in the CIA being torn apart.

I think the agency would have destroyed such a document, but references to the original document might have found their way into other documents, making a cover up more complex.

So that's my theory.

Style
    Karate
    Sam, you are probably close to the truth on this.

Your analysis of likely pre-assassination behaviors fits expected historical FBI, and CIA 1960s patterns from histories on the period. If they were to have been trying to figure him out to isolate him (if he were a true threat as a Communist), or to recruit him, just having anything to do with him would have been impossible defend after the fact.

Thank you for directing us to the research website. The 20th century was shaped by coups and by assassinations. The NKVD and then the KGB were not the only players. The French were not afraid of direct action, either. The topic is a narrow but fascinating history.

Style
    Mixed
    Safe theory, if you've been watching what Bob Baer has been putting together recently.

The key stone issue is that you don't need anyone else in Dallas that day gunning down the President. You can still have a "lone gunman" and a vast conspiracy to assassinate a political leader. What's going to come out publicly (but has already been pieced together by actual experts that aren't theorists) is that Oswald was being handled by KGB and Cuban agents. And what's being redacted right now are the names of intelligence leaders who made decisions (or non-decisions) that led to the successful attack. They'd have done the same thing about Pearl Harbor, if they'd been around back then.

The CIA is great at cover ups...for a while. The need for constant secrecy is ingrained in their culture. It's what they do, and anybody who's well read on actual books about CIA (not online theories, real investigative work and insider knowledge) knows they've been covering up their own blunders for half a century. Decent at learning the secrets of others, so so at keeping secrets, but definitely bad at everything else.

I used to think my grandfather, a long time CIA employee, was always hush hush about his work because of national security concerns. Today I wonder if he was just embarrassed at what I would learn. He retired young (his 50's I believe)... right about the time of the end of the Vietnam war, which tells me something.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/26/2017 9:36pm at .

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last