Page 26 of 27 First ... 16222324252627 Last
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by omoplatypus View Post
    Jew here.

In Israel, if you spit on someone, that is an attack. It is the worst of insults. Just spitting around someone is incendiary.

Maybe others think that's stupid, but that's to bad. It's the way things are.
    Spitting is pretty common in Israel, to be honest. It's the way arguments typically escalate. You disagree, then you shout, then you spit on each other, then someone grabs the other by the throat, which is reciprocated and then both of you pretty much stay there until bystanders break it up. The police won't consider it an attack until fists are thrown, and then most of the time, unless blood flows or bones or broken their response is "suck it up buttercup."

Having originally come from the US, I had some close calls initially with local law enforcement when my first response to getting spit upon was typically a throat punch. At which point the police told me to stop acting like a "crazy American."
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    In other news, there is apparently now a counter protest being planned:
    The public it frustrated, especially the secular public who work, pay taxes and go to the army in high rates. After the extremist Jerusalem Faction went wild for two weeks and no one stopped them, we decided that we also want to express our feelings. It is about time that the state will take care of those who are maintaining it,
    http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Lib...of-rage-513182

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post

It needs to be two weeks drunken debauchery and liberal snuggle-ins and drum circles and free carnival games and face paintings, all according the time of day and planned around having the ability to get whole families in on it. It is the only way to let the religiously conservatives and right wing extremists know you are fucking serious about laughing in their face and encouraging them to keep that crazy **** at home and synagogues.

(edit: cue my work in Blink ... hehehehehe I love Cincinnati soooo much. One of the biggest protests in country and nobody "knew" they were pushing back... they felt it when they got here, but no one realized what exactly it was until it was too late and they were having a blast.)
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 11/03/2017 7:48am at .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

Style
    Cardio

Does that mean these factions have no ice cream because they're on welfare? It may be a translation thing but it implies the extremist Jews don't contribute to the upkeep of the state. Is that the case or am I just reading something that's not there?
    Train hard, fight easy.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    It needs to be two weeks drunken debauchery and liberal snuggle-ins and drum circles and free carnival games and face paintings, all according the time of day and planned around having the ability to get whole families in on it. It is the only way to let the religiously conservatives and right wing extremists know you are fucking serious about laughing in their face and encouraging them to keep that crazy **** at home and synagogues.

(edit: cue my work in Blink ... hehehehehe I love Cincinnati soooo much. One of the biggest protests in country and nobody "knew" they were pushing back... they felt it when they got here, but no one realized what exactly it was until it was too late and they were having a blast.)
    When there is lack of separation of Church(or in this case Synagogue) and State that becomes a bit more of an issue. Religion and politics become very intrinsically mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    Does that mean these factions have no ice cream because they're on welfare? It may be a translation thing but it implies the extremist Jews don't contribute to the upkeep of the state. Is that the case or am I just reading something that's not there?
    It's a stereotype. There are those that do not contribute to the State, however it is not true for all people of said affiliation. The statement is being made by a member of the Meretz Party, who are very extreme left wing, and have been known to publicly call religious people cockroaches. Political discourse in Israel can be very vitriolic with politicians making extreme statements to the press that they often don't mean. There was actually a report on the local channel 2 news where politicians were shown statements that they had made to the press(though they weren't told they were being quoted) and their outrage over the intolerant statements was quite humorous, especially when they were then informed that it was themselves that had made the statement, which was followed by denials, followed by video(if possible), followed by awkward silence and said politicians storming off.

All that to say that it is a stereotype, that is based in some truth, but it often used to stir up a certain segment of the Israeli populace, and is largely overblown and inflammatory.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    When there is lack of separation of Church(or in this case Synagogue) and State that becomes a bit more of an issue. Religion and politics become very intrinsically mixed.
    ... yeah ...even when there is a separation of Church and State blind faith and God's Plan blatantly crash into science and reality.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    ... yeah ...even when there is a separation of Church and State blind faith and God's Plan blatantly crash into science and reality.
    How's that Baptist church thing working out for you?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    How's that Baptist church thing working out for you?
    I have been reallllllllllllllllllllly trying but these mother fuckers are pushing my buttons.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Mixed
    Political discourse in America can be very vitriolic with politicians making extreme statements to the press that they often don't mean. There was actually a report on the local channel 2 news where politicians were shown statements that they had made to the press(though they weren't told they were being quoted) and their outrage over the intolerant statements was quite humorous, especially when they were then informed that it was themselves that had made the statement, which was followed by denials, followed by video(if possible), followed by awkward silence and said politicians storming off.

All that to say that it is a stereotype, that is based in some truth, but it often used to stir up a certain segment of the US populace, and is largely overblown and inflammatory.
    Look at that, the names are so interchangeable. This is why we are destined to be BFFs. We have all the same problems and solutions....crazy religious nuts, extremist politicians, and local news anchors to keep it all in the light.

Maybe we are our brothers' keeper after all, if you believe in that sort of thing. I believe in stabbing Satan in the balls whenever I can.

You stay classy, מיכאל. You can be my Rabbi any time.

Style
    judo hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post

You stay classy, מיכאל. You can be my Rabbi any time.

Is it proper to mix English and Hebrew in a sentence?

Enquiring mind wants to know.

Page 26 of 27 First ... 16222324252627 Last