Page 3 of 7 First 1234567 Last
    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    A russian mafia hitman?
    Right. We like to keep our goals reasonable.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Wrestling, footwork and public schools is what I train my kids in. But more than that, I have them on a pretty good callisthenic workout routine. I'm pretty proud of them for that. My son's boy is pretty hefty and can't do any pushups or pullups. That just sucks, in my opinion.

I told my sons that my job right now is to prepare them for high school, which is next year for the oldest. When he gets there, I want him to be physically able to participate in any sport he wants. I want him to be able to defend himself. And I want him to get good enough grades to be able to get into what ever program interests him. Once he is in high school, that will shift to the same thing but towards college or a tech school. If he choses not to do any sports, that's fine, but he will have the choice. And won't have to say, I wish I could but I'm too fat or too out of shape.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic
    Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

Style
    Bjj
    Doesnt matter if its basketball, hockey or martial arts. If the kid is learning off a good coach, is competative, trains regularly and enjoys what they do. It will remain a part of their life and they will be beasts when they become an adult. While it doesnt gurantee they will be a big star they can still turn it into a career path.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    Doesnt matter if its basketball, hockey or martial arts. If the kid is learning off a good coach, is competative, trains regularly and enjoys what they do. It will remain a part of their life and they will be beasts when they become an adult. While it doesnt gurantee they will be a big star they can still turn it into a career path.
    Because clearly, all youth basketball players who practice hard and have good coaches can turn it into a career path?

I’m struggling to understand your point.

Style
    Bjj
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Because clearly, all youth basketball players who practice hard and have good coaches can turn it into a career path?

fitness industry. Coach, gym teacher, dietition ect. Sure a sport wont qualify you in any of these examples but if say an 18 year old wants to still be in a sporting environment this is an option. Besides id rather go to just say a sports dr who has previous sporting experience compared to some nerd that thought it would make their parents feel proud.

Style
    Bjj
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post

fitness industry. Coach, gym teacher, dietition ect. Sure a sport wont qualify you in any of these examples but if say an 18 year old wants to still be in a sporting environment this is an option. Besides id rather go to just say a sports dr who has previous sporting experience compared to some nerd that thought it would make their parents feel proud.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    Besides id rather go to just say a sports dr who has previous sporting experience compared to some nerd that thought it would make their parents feel proud.
    No need to worry about that. Those nerds are now programmers making good money and not having all the student debt to pay back.

BUT my doctor who did my surgery on my knee is a TKD blackbelt. And my old treating source wrestled under Dan Gable. Only found out because he saw my cauliflower ear. It was cool being able to talk real with those guys.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    TKD/BJJ
    As long as the instructors are legit, I think you're on the right track and have nothing to worry about. In the tkd just make sure they are doing a good level of stetching and warm up. And make sure they are doing good amounts of conditioning at home, especially drills that improve the stabilizing muscles around joints. Tkd can be hard on joints, especially knees, if the conditioning that goes with the crazy kicks isn't consistent. If the tkd is closer to old-school tkd before it became watered down, it should be an excellent combination with jiu-jitsu. Old-school tkd has more of a realistic kickboxing focus to it and if the instructor understands the true history of taekyon and how it became real taekwon-do through the incorporation of practical techniques of other arts that influenced it (kind of like what Bruce Lee did with jkd) then he should have no problem with your kids embodying that spirit of diversity that is very much a part of REAL taekwon-do by also training jjj. As for the JJJ instructor, he'll be a harder sell since his concerns are more viable. With so many McDojo's out there teaching watered down parodies pf tkd, and so few genuine tkd schools that haven't forgotten the true spirit of the art, it's hard to take most people seriously when they say they are taking taekwon-do (and this, coming from a 3rd degree black belt of taekwon-do!) Just don't let them quit when they hit plateaus in their training. Becoming a martial artist is a lifelong commitment that will influence and strengthen every other aspect of their lives. Besides their faith, martial arts should be their core, onto which anything else can be attached. Sometimes we go through dry patches and lose our enthusiasm, especially kids nowadays, but encourage them to stick with it anyway. And if anything needs to be cut back if they start to get overwhelmed, it should be stuff like swimming, or clubs, or whathaveyou. At least in my opinion, I could be wrong! Kudos for being a good- and involved- parent!

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by LCMAA View Post
    As long as the instructors are legit, I think you're on the right track and have nothing to worry about. In the tkd just make sure they are doing a good level of stetching and warm up. And make sure they are doing good amounts of conditioning at home, especially drills that improve the stabilizing muscles around joints. Tkd can be hard on joints, especially knees, if the conditioning that goes with the crazy kicks isn't consistent. If the tkd is closer to old-school tkd before it became watered down, it should be an excellent combination with jiu-jitsu. Old-school tkd has more of a realistic kickboxing focus to it and if the instructor understands the true history of taekyon and how it became real taekwon-do through the incorporation of practical techniques of other arts that influenced it (kind of like what Bruce Lee did with jkd) then he should have no problem with your kids embodying that spirit of diversity that is very much a part of REAL taekwon-do by also training jjj. As for the JJJ instructor, he'll be a harder sell since his concerns are more viable. With so many McDojo's out there teaching watered down parodies pf tkd, and so few genuine tkd schools that haven't forgotten the true spirit of the art, it's hard to take most people seriously when they say they are taking taekwon-do (and this, coming from a 3rd degree black belt of taekwon-do!) Just don't let them quit when they hit plateaus in their training. Becoming a martial artist is a lifelong commitment that will influence and strengthen every other aspect of their lives. Besides their faith, martial arts should be their core, onto which anything else can be attached. Sometimes we go through dry patches and lose our enthusiasm, especially kids nowadays, but encourage them to stick with it anyway. And if anything needs to be cut back if they start to get overwhelmed, it should be stuff like swimming, or clubs, or whathaveyou. At least in my opinion, I could be wrong! Kudos for being a good- and involved- parent!
    Hi, LCMAA, and welcome to Bullshido. You seem to be getting off to a good start, I'd just like to offer a little constructive criticism:

Please, break your thoughts into paragraphs, for legibility purposes.

Thanks, and enjoy!

Style
    TKD/BJJ
    Thanks for that constructive criticism! I'm new to posting in forums in general! I just had knee surgery and so have to get my jits fix any way I can while I recover! So reaching out to others in the martial arts community and exchanging ideas is a great way to do that. Thanks for what you guys are doing here!

So from now on I'll be sure to keep em separated!

Cheers!

Page 3 of 7 First 1234567 Last