Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... Last
    Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The 3D-printed gun thread

Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I agree that this is a very poorly worded bill. That said, I have trouble understanding why anyone would need a bump stock for anything other than the novelty of them at the range or nefarious purposes. I do not believe private citizens need full auto-fire weapons. Besides increasing rate of fire, bump stocks do little more than inhibit accuracy.
    On NJ radio tonight, gun shop owners have been calling in to radio stations saying nobody needs them except for the battlefield. That's where the issue is...there are plenty of people in the US who want automatic weapons. Most of them are not murderers...but any of them might be planning on it.

But...who needs to buy them at all? Anybody with a 3D printer can make one. That goes for the whole fucking gun, by the way. Anybody can make one.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    On NJ radio tonight, gun shop owners have been calling in to radio stations saying nobody needs them except for the battlefield. That's where the issue is...there are plenty of people in the US who want automatic weapons. Most of them are not murderers...but any of them might be planning on it.

But...who needs to buy them at all? Anybody with a 3D printer can make one. That goes for the whole fucking gun, by the way. Anybody can make one.
    Nobody on a battlefield needs a bump fire stock either.

Good luck printing a rifled barrel.

Style
    judo hiatus
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, they can't.

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    No, they can't.
    If by "can't" you mean according to the government, yes. If you mean can't print them, no. The plans for doing so are already public domain.

Thousands of printers are already out in the market specifically designed to build AR-15s stock to barrel. The process takes less than 3 hours. The printers required to do this cost less than $300.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Distributed

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/defca...ign-taken-down

Last edited by Ice Hole; 10/04/2017 11:43pm at .

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Nobody on a battlefield needs a bump fire stock either.

Good luck printing a rifled barrel.
    You can print an unregistered AR-15 in a few hours. It's already been done.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If by "can't" you mean according to the government, yes. If you mean can't print them, no. The plans for doing so are already public domain.

Thousands of printers are already out in the market specifically designed to build AR-15s stock to barrel. The process takes less than 3 hours. The printers required to do this cost less than $300.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Distributed

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/defca...ign-taken-down

A rifled barrel? And all the springs and pins and other parts that go into putting together the lower and upper of an AR-15 oh and the bolt and all the other stuff?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    A rifled barrel? And all the springs and pins and other parts that go into putting together the lower and upper of an AR-15 oh and the bolt and all the other stuff?
    Watch the whole video on how it's done. I found it hard to believe too. I get that most people aren't aware this is possible...but seeing is believing. This video is old, but this guy got shut down by the government fast when he first started selling these and posting schematics for various parts.

The US State Department shut him down on the grounds of national security trumping his 1st and 2nd Amendment rights. He is currently appealing to the USSC for the right to sell his gear and publish schematics.

What's difficult about rifling a barrel? These customized printers are essentially milling robots, they can cut metal and plastic to precise specifications...the same way big industrial robots do it. This one in particular creates a full receiver with practically no expertise required. Think about that.

I didn't think it was possible to build a shotgun out of household parts, but then I saw a demo of one up close. The genie is out of the bottle.

Here's someone who got the Ghost Gun CNC system, and off he went, only by this time (2015) the price of the printer increased by 600%. The actual schematics for parts are already out on the web.
    I Made an Untraceable AR-15 ‘Ghost Gun’ in My Office—and It Was Easy: https://www.wired.com/2015/06/i-made...-15-ghost-gun/

This is my ghost gun. To quote the rifleman’s creed, there are many like it, but this one is mine. It’s called a “ghost gun”—a term popularized by gun control advocates but increasingly adopted by gun lovers too—because it’s an untraceable semiautomatic rifle with no serial number, existing beyond law enforcement’s knowledge and control. And if I feel a strangely personal connection to this lethal, libertarian weapon, it’s because I made it myself, in a back room of WIRED’s downtown San Francisco office on a cloudy afternoon.

I did this mostly alone. I have virtually no technical understanding of firearms and a Cro-Magnon man’s mastery of power tools. Still, I made a fully metal, functional, and accurate AR-15. To be specific, I made the rifle’s lower receiver; that’s the body of the gun, the only part that US law defines and regulates as a “firearm.” All I needed for my entirely legal DIY gunsmithing project was about six hours, a 12-year-old’s understanding of computer software, an $80 chunk of aluminum, and a nearly featureless black 1-cubic-foot desktop milling machine called the Ghost Gunner.
    Last edited by Ice Hole; 10/04/2017 11:57pm at .

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can print an unregistered AR-15 in a few hours. It's already been done.
    You're missing the point. Good luck firing a 50,000+ psi round through reconstituted plastic. Lowers and stocks and grips, sure. But, when you get to the upper receiver and barrel, you need something a little beefier. The steel printing machines are still a nascent field, and even if you logistically could accomplish these parts, I wouldn't want to become the test case for printed over forged.

Besides, the only people who care HOW the gun was manufactured are the Brady nuts.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

3D Gun Printing

Watch the whole video on how it's done. I found it hard to believe too. I get that most people aren't aware this is possible...but seeing is believing. This video is old, but this guy got shut down by the government.

The US State Department shut him down on the grounds of national security trumping his 1st and 2nd Amendment rights. Heis currently appealing to the USSC for the right to sell his gear and publish schematics.

What's difficult about rifling a barrel? These customized printers are essentially milling robots, they can cut metal and plastic to precise specifications...the same way big industrial robots do it. This one in particular creates a full receiver with practically no expertise required. Think about that.

I didn't think it was possible to build a shotgun out of household parts, but then I saw a demo of one up close. The genie is out of the bottle.

Here's someone who got the Ghost Gun CNC system, and off he went, only by this time (2015) the price of the printer increased by 600%. The actual schematics for parts are already out on the web.
    I watched the whole thing I saw no such thing.

The only thing I saw were lowers and of all things a bump fire stock.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want proof of concept for 3D printed rifled barrel, that was first engineered via 3D printer 4 years ago in Wisconsin. I'm sure DefDist has perfected it...but we'll have to wait for the Supreme Court to weigh in.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...-rifled-barrel

Joe actually went one step further and added rifling to his barrel. Without rifling, Wilson’s Liberator isn’t accurate beyond a few feet, making it rather useless as a weapon — with rifling, the Lulz Liberator might be one step closer to being a functional, dangerous firearm. We say “might,” because Joe hasn’t provided any details that confirm that the plastic rifling is actually working as intended — and for now, with the US Department of State breathing down DefDist’s neck for releasing the Liberator’s CAD files, and lawmakers scrambling to plug the 3D-printed hole, Joe doesn’t have any immediate plans to share the Lulz Liberator CAD files, so no one can replicate his work.

Still, there you have it: The first rifled, plastic 3D gun has been produced — and it costs just $25. Rather than fearing that your life might be ended by someone busting a plastic cap in your ass, though, the much larger concern is that we’re now much closer to governments mandating that 3D printers contain DRM that prevents you from printing guns in the first place.
    Last edited by Ice Hole; 10/05/2017 12:03am at .

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... Last