Style
    ITF Taekwondo, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question about shirts under gi (BJJ)

So I'm starting a free week at a BJJ place tomorrow and I was wondering if I should wear a shirt under the gi? It's not a regular t-shirt, it's breathable and has those holes under the armpits to help keep you cool, the only problem is it's really loose and not tight against my skin. From what I've seen, most BJJ rashguards are really tight to the skin. I know this kind of thing is usually something you try out for yourself and see how you like it, but I don't want to be uncomfortable after a few minutes of rolling around. What's your opinion on shirts under the gi and your experiences?

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by badtigra View Post
    but I don't want to be uncomfortable after a few minutes of rolling around.
    You will be, regardeless of what you wear.

Don't need to buy a rashguard, a cheap compression t shirt is enough.

Style
    MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it loose compared to another t-shirt, or another compression shirt? Some places have policies to wear them instead of going bareback for hygiene purposes. I'd wear one on your first day just to be safe, especially if you're borrowing a Gi, but if you're wearing one of you're Judo ones it wouldn't hurt either. I don't think it'll make too much of a difference in your trial week.

I always wear something under the Gi for BJJ(I'd be the odd man out if I didn't), but never wore when doing TKD and Karate to stay cooler, or at least that's what I thought at the time.

Style
    ITF Taekwondo, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies, I'll just wear the shirt and if I don't like it, there shouldn't be an issue with bowing out for a minute to take it off.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Ulsteryank said on hygiene and requirements.

Take into account weather and air conditioning, too. When it's really hot, I prefer wearing a loose cotton T instead of a rash guard or compression shirt.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the whole point of t-shirt is to keep you dry- too loose one cannot do it. get yourself a half-decent sporty one, it doesn't have to be a compression one but be just somehow tight.

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by badtigra View Post
    So I'm starting a free week at a BJJ place tomorrow and I was wondering if I should wear a shirt under the gi? It's not a regular t-shirt, it's breathable and has those holes under the armpits to help keep you cool, the only problem is it's really loose and not tight against my skin. From what I've seen, most BJJ rashguards are really tight to the skin. I know this kind of thing is usually something you try out for yourself and see how you like it, but I don't want to be uncomfortable after a few minutes of rolling around. What's your opinion on shirts under the gi and your experiences?
    Whatever you do make sure to shave your balls!

It can get very sweaty and painful down there when rolling if you do not shave the genital area thoroughly prior to starting Bjj.

I found out the hard way and walked like a crab for a month after my first week.
    King without a crown

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by simon_g View Post
    the whole point of t-shirt is to keep you dry- too loose one cannot do it. get yourself a half-decent sporty one, it doesn't have to be a compression one but be just somehow tight.
    I feel overheated in compression/rashies when it's hot out. The moisture leaves them too fast, and my skin doesn't get the normal evaporative cooling, I think. That's why I prefer a nice heavy cotton T. Moisture is retained, which feels nicer against my hot skin. I'm sure there's some physics to this, which may in fact destroy my argument, but I think it's going to be the other way around. Stand by for science.

Wicking materials are designed to keep you dry, as you've pointed out. Sweat is "designed," to keep you cool. Conduction (i.e. transfer of heat) is more effective in water than air, by a factor of 20 or so (source: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/clas...-Heat-Transfer). It's why you can get hypothermia by staying in an 80-degrees-Fahrenheit swimming pool for a few hours, but live indefinitely lightly clothed in 72-degree-Fahrenheit air.