Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay area, ca
    Posts
    506
    Style
    mt/bjj

    How do you deal with thirsty people trying to flirt with others in the gym?

    Obviously, just try to pull them to the side and talk to them. lol.

    I've been to a fair amount of gyms and usually this isn't a big deal (in my experience) but I just wonder how instructors would deal with it? I've dated a lady at my gym once a few years ago but it was so subtle and just came naturally.

    I'm really talking about the type of people who uncomfortably try to flirt with someone of the opposite sex during or after training?

    Anyone deal with this? this is mostly a gym owner issue but it could potentially make other gym mates uncomfortable.

  2. #2
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,825
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by big maclol View Post
    Obviously, just try to pull them to the side and talk to them. lol.

    I've been to a fair amount of gyms and usually this isn't a big deal (in my experience) but I just wonder how instructors would deal with it? I've dated a lady at my gym once a few years ago but it was so subtle and just came naturally.

    I'm really talking about the type of people who uncomfortably try to flirt with someone of the opposite sex during or after training?

    Anyone deal with this? this is mostly a gym owner issue but it could potentially make other gym mates uncomfortable.
    Well, I tell people to socialize after class. But I don't run a commercial dojo, and have not really had problems with the issue.

    I'd think it should be handled ahead of time with a written set of training guidelines that people have to agree to follow before they are allowed to train. If they don't, refund plus sayanora...

    Coaching stuff in Judo, not supposed to date students. That's in more of a formal athlete-coach situation, as in competitive athlete training, part of the ethics code we sign when getting certified.

    I can state from experience it's not a good idea to date students. I did it once and swore I'd never do it again. And I didn't, either.

    Of course, I'm not exactly a chick magnet, now or back then, either....
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,358
    Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    6
    Just install a fountain, or have some bottled water on hand to sell.
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    991
    Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    3
    On that note, I guess I'm just not hip anymore, but what does 'thirsty' mean in this context?

  5. #5
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,825
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    On that note, I guess I'm just not hip anymore, but what does 'thirsty' mean in this context?
    They pretend to be thirsty, and use that as an excuse to start a conversation?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    991
    Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    They pretend to be thirsty, and use that as an excuse to start a conversation?
    Hey, I'm thirsty. Do you want to go grab a drink? At my place? Naked?

  7. #7
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,825
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    Hey, I'm thirsty. Do you want to go grab a drink? At my place? Naked?
    I've got some coconut oil, er, I mean, water...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #8
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,825
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hi, I'm ____, I see you are sweating heavily, and I'm thirsty and in need of electrolytes, mind if I have a drink?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  9. #9
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,762
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    On that note, I guess I'm just not hip anymore, but what does 'thirsty' mean in this context?
    Public behavior during which one exhibits a desperate need for attention.
    Often misused to mean "mentally disabled person who is sexually aroused by Drake and the BackStreet Boys".
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    991
    Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Often misused to mean "mentally disabled person who is sexually aroused by Drake and the BackStreet Boys".
    Oh... that's me!

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in