Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    2,188
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    Harai goshi WAS a judo throw, before Helio Gracie invented it. Or, stole it from the Koreans... which ever.
    Mestre Helio Gracie seemed to perform hane goshi more than harai goshi.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    2,188
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I've heard judo is common in gradeschool in Brazil, is that true?
    Futbol very, very common.

    Judo quite popular because it is an Olympic sport, and the Brazilians are mad about sports.

    I went to Brazil several times in the 90's.

    Many, many more times the number of people in Brazil played Judo compared to Jiu-Jitsu when I was there.

    The UFC gave new life to Jiu-Jitsu and Vale Tudo competition in Brazil, and re-popularized Jiu-Jitsu.

    On the other hand, we used to joke there were so many Jiu-Jitsu black belts in Rio that if you shot a gun, the bullet would likely go through a couple black belts...
    But that was more just a joke.
    There were more (Gracie style) Jiu-Jitsu black belts in Rio than anywhere else in the world at that time, but they were very outnumbered by Judo black belts.

  3. #13
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,210
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    He trained in jujitsu under Maeda (or maybe it was "jiujitsu"... depends on which non-MA forum all of the non-practicing MA "experts" are discussing it).

    Either way, suggesting that BJJ is rooted in that ***** sports based **** really detracts from the fullness of Gracie awesomeness.
    He was a Kodokan yudansha.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #14
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,210
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Mestre Helio Gracie seemed to perform hane goshi more than harai goshi.
    In the video I have seen, true.

    Hane Goshi was at one time very popular.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #15
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,210
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Yep, that's what I was asking. Very apt name. Benbob, perhaps?
    Not my invention, standard judo. He did a rather exaggerated one, probably due to size difference and no jacket.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    492
    Style
    Bjj
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I've heard judo is common in gradeschool in Brazil, is that true?
    If its true it'll be in Sao Paulo if anywhere. Its like the judo capital of Brazil (best judoka are from there apparently, also jap population is bigger so maybe thats why).

  7. #17
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,583
    Style
    Jits
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    He learned Judo from Maeda,..
    ... and then invented leverage.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    2,188
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    He was a Kodokan yudansha.
    Mestre Helio Gracie never trained directly with Maeda.
    His older brother Mestre Carlos Gracie stated he (Carlos) trained under Maeda's lineage.
    Helio learned Jiu-Jitsu from Carlos, and certainly cross trained with many Kodokan Jiu-Jitsu / Judo practitioners.
    Helio's hane goshi seemed well practiced.
    Helio's older brother George, and his nephews Carlson and Rolls also cross trained quite a bit with Judo players, wrestlers, and lucha livre (catch wrestlers) fighters.
    Maeda himself probably spent more lifetime years training out of professional and catch wrestling gyms because of his traveling pro-exhibition career than he did training in Jiu-Jitsu and Judo schools.
    The "skill japanese jiu-jitsu man" was a lucrative career for him in pro wrestling exhibitions.
    Even the great Kimura had been thrown out of the Kodokan at the time of his match with Helio Gracie, due to Mifune's objections that pro wrestling was undignified, but Kimura needed the money for his wife's expensive TB treatments.
    Most people don't know that Kimura did not fare nearly as well in a Vale Tudo match against Waldemar Santana as he did in his gi match against Helio.
    Jiu-Jitsu and Judo both have fascinating, warty histories.

  9. #19
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,210
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    ... and then invented leverage.
    Wait not sure about him learning directly from Maeda.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #20
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,210
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Mestre Helio Gracie never trained directly with Maeda.
    His older brother Mestre Carlos Gracie stated he (Carlos) trained under Maeda's lineage.
    Helio learned Jiu-Jitsu from Carlos, and certainly cross trained with many Kodokan Jiu-Jitsu / Judo practitioners.
    Helio's hane goshi seemed well practiced.
    Helio's older brother George, and his nephews Carlson and Rolls also cross trained quite a bit with Judo players, wrestlers, and lucha livre (catch wrestlers) fighters.
    Maeda himself probably spent more lifetime years training out of professional and catch wrestling gyms because of his traveling pro-exhibition career than he did training in Jiu-Jitsu and Judo schools.
    The "skill japanese jiu-jitsu man" was a lucrative career for him in pro wrestling exhibitions.
    Even the great Kimura had been thrown out of the Kodokan at the time of his match with Helio Gracie, due to Mifune's objections that pro wrestling was undignified, but Kimura needed the money for his wife's expensive TB treatments.
    Most people don't know that Kimura did not fare nearly as well in a Vale Tudo match against Waldemar Santana as he did in his gi match against Helio.
    Jiu-Jitsu and Judo both have fascinating, warty histories.
    Right I didn't even read your post before I posted my post doubting that he trained directly with Maeda.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in