Page 8 of 11 First ... 4567891011 Last
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    You should have posted one that centers around Oscar the grouch. If this deal doesn't live up to its hype then lots of people could end up eating out of trash cans.
    Hyperbole much? I did consider a couple of Oscar ones, just because it was directed at you.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    It's in incentives, right, not cash? If it were in cash on barrelhead, yeah, not so good an idea, I doubt WI has 3 billion laying around to hand out...
    I doubt they 3$ laying around let alone 3 billion. Why exactly should this one company get an unfair advantage through "incentives"?? Are "incentives" free or do they still cost Wisconsin?? You did notice this deal is like 10 times larger than any that has come before it right??

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    As long as it doesn't affect imports/exports between EU members there is not much problem.
    Thanks, I should have guessed you'd have an answer.

So it's more directed at inter-EU member commerce/business than say, internal business, then ?

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be more specific. You seem to know of deals like the WI one (or in similar veing) not panning out.

Give us some examples.

BTW, I'd be the last to say that all such deals are a good idea, well executed, or last forever. I know of a couple in my home town that started out well, but ended up crashing due to other economic factors. Those weren't billion dollar deals (originated in '80s), either.
    How many examples do you want?? I would guess finding examples of **** like this not panning out is going to be much easier than finding ones that did actually create the jobs and invest in the state.

Here's an article on the topic: http://www.wral.com/job-incentives-often-fail/14052627/

There's several to choose from, but you know that already don't you??
    Last edited by Bneterasedmynam; 9/18/2017 12:41pm at . Reason: Added a link to satisfy bkr

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    On the well paid I have some doubt, my brother and my sister are in a worse position.
    I was referring to a general desire on the part of Italians, not specific to your life-situation.

Well, that's not so bad...

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The exact opposite of this shitty bill. They constantly preach about so called "big government".
    Not sure how tax incentives are "big government".

I think you are confused between capitalism and laissez-faire economics...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really, try another tack, this one is getting old. Your entertainment value is going down rapidly. Pretty soon you will be at golddust420 level...
    Now that's not even close to true, although pship does steal the mic a lot around here these days.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huh, how about that? The Koch brothers are against the deal:
    https://americansforprosperity.org/a...ement-foxconn/

Quote Originally Posted by AFP
    However, as much as we believe in Governor Walker’s agenda that has turned this state around, as free market activists who staunchly oppose government tax incentives, we cannot support the expensive refundable tax credits in this package, which are not available to every other business in our state.
    Does that pretty much destroy the thread?

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You obviously didn't read it. They also want government out of the practice of manipulating businesses. Did you just outright skip that part?? Having the government not interfere with businesses has been a staple of their fucking platform. This deal goes against that principle.
    That was your claim. That they want government out of manipulating business. Nothing of what you quoted below has anything to do with that.

"Government cannot create prosperity, though government can limit or destroy it. Prosperity is the product of self-discipline, enterprise, saving and investment by individuals, but it is not an end in itself. Prosperity provides the means by which citizens and their families can maintain their independence from government, raise their children by their own values, practice their faith, and build communities of cooperation and mutual respect. It is also the foundation for our nation’s global leadership, for it is the vigor of our economy which makes possible our military strength and our national security".

Seems to go against the idea of the government giving 3 billion to create prosperity huh??

"Competitiveness equals jobs. That equation governs our policies regarding U.S. corporations in the global economy. Private investment is a key driver of economic growth and job creation. After falling dramatically during the recession, private investment has recovered at a disappointing pace due in part to high corporate tax rates and increasing regulatory burdens and uncertainty".

So what part of competitiveness equals 3 billion in incentives??

"We believe American companies should be headquartered in America. We should reduce barriers to accomplishing that goal".

Huh so where's this company located??

"A strong economy is one key to debt reduction, but spending restraint is a necessary component that must be vigorously pursued".

Huh so I guess spending is ok when it's a rich company??
    I see you are good at cherry picking quotes that, given enough massaging and spin, can kind of fit what you want to say. However, you seem to miss some key points, for instance this
    We envision government at all levels as a partner with individuals and industries in technological progress, not a meddlesome monitor. We want to create a business climate that rewards risk and promotes innovation, a learning system that gives Americans the skills needed to seize the opportunities of the 21st century, and an international order that maintains a fair and open global market for America’s goods and services. We intend to advance policies that protect data privacy while fostering innovation and growth and ensuring the free flow of data across borders.
    Now, forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't Foxconn a tech company? Isn't the government investing 3billion partnering with said tech company? Now we are only talking the national, not the state, GOP platform.

I don't know about where these deals may have failed, but where they have worked was the Automotive industry bail out. It's why Ford isn't the only brand of US car made since 2009.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure how tax incentives are "big government".

I think you are confused between capitalism and laissez-faire economics...
    Giving out 3 billion in incentives sure in hell is. Again republicans are fine with spending as long as it goes to the right people.

Page 8 of 11 First ... 4567891011 Last