Page 6 of 11 First ... 2345678910 ... Last
  1. #51
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,128
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    You didn't do well in poli-sci 101 did you? Free Market and Capitalism are not synonyms.
    Here, this is in terms the Bnet can understand...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #52
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,128
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    He's more concerned with an R vs D argument here than discussing the financial aspects of this practice.

    He just won't accept both parties do this, and its hypocritical of both of them.
    I don't think you know what hypocritical means.

    Maybe you are looking for a different word?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #53
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,128
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    This is rather OT, however: basically Italy is in a long recession since 1992, because after it entered the euro area the government had to go in austerity mode (spending less than it taxes, aka primary surplus) to reduce overall debt.
    However:
    1) a continuous fall in inflation means that the debt burden becomes harder and harder to reduce; the relatively high real interst rates are such that, when you count interest payment, the debt is still mounting up;
    2) the effect of austerity is to increase unemployment and, as a consequence, to reduce GDP, that means that even if the government was paying back the debt the debt/GDP ratio wouldn't fall (it increases instead);
    3) point 2 applies also to private debt (banks) which causes a continuous banking crisis.

    On the plus side we are now a net exporter (basically because wages fell in relative terms so we import less).

    The stats you show are regarded as a success by the italian government, because in fact they are way better than at any point since 2007 to now. Surprisingly, most people don't agree much with the italian government.
    Take this as a cautionary tale against sound finance and the idea of solving the economic problems by reducing imports.

    This hasn't much to do with supposed socialism, though.
    I see that Italians understand "spin" just like US politicians.

    Congratulations on your relative economic success, seriously. I'm sure the vast majority of Italians would like to have well paid, relatively secure employment.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #54
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    4,894
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Here, this is in terms the Bnet can understand...
    You should have posted one that centers around Oscar the grouch. If this deal doesn't live up to its hype then lots of people could end up eating out of trash cans.

  5. #55
    Michael Tzadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    1,367
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    https://www.gop.com/platform/restori...merican-dream/

    I mean that does seem to go against the bill in Wisconsin.
    Learn to read. There is nothing in there about a free market economy. They want a free finanicial market(i.e. level playing field for banks). Unless I'm much mistaken, Foxconn isn't a bank.
    The Republican vision for American banking calls for establishing transparent, efficient markets where consumers can obtain loans they need at reasonable rates based on market conditions. Unfortunately, in response to the financial institutions crisis of 2008-2009, the Democratic-controlled Congress enacted the Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, otherwise known as Dodd-Frank. They did not let the crisis go to waste but used it as an excuse to establish unprecedented government control over the nation’s financial markets. The consequences have been bad for everyone except federal regulators.
    In fact as far as small businesses and start ups go, it would appear that the Republican platform seeks a Public-Private partnership
    As incubators of unconventional thinking, our country’s existing research infrastructure — the National Labs, the National Institutes of Health, NASA, and elements of the Defense Department — have the potential to form partnerships with small businesses to create an American Start-Up Century.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

  6. #56
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,128
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    Incidentially, the EU rules forbid the member states to give this sort of subsidies to industries, in order to avoid a "race to the bottom".
    This is possibly one of the reasons for Brexit, and one of the reasons UK will probably be shut off from the european market (as the UK government is promising "incentives" left and right, and the continentals dont want this kind of unfair competition).

    The USA could probably place a ban on this kind of policies at a federal level, I suppose. Or maybe not, because of state's rights?
    So, you are telling us that EU member states do not subsidize any industry in any way whatsoever?

    In the US, I don't see that ever happening. It's just how **** gets done here. At Federal level, they would maybe have to claim jurisdiction because of interstate trade, where the Feds have jurisdiction.

    Not many businesses operate purely within the confines of state/county/city borders...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  7. #57
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,128
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    That is a reality we are extremely conscious of, trust me.
    I've not doubt of your grasp of reality...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #58
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,128
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Yes I did, but again without any real guarantee it means jackshit. Also not really my point. Even if the deal is as a former Illinois governor put it "fucking golden" it's still not what the republicans preach when they bitch about use of tax dollars.
    What exactly do they preach?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  9. #59
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    4,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Learn to read. There is nothing in there about a free market economy. They want a free finanicial market(i.e. level playing field for banks). Unless I'm much mistaken, Foxconn isn't a bank.


    In fact as far as small businesses and start ups go, it would appear that the Republican platform seeks a Public-Private partnership
    You obviously didn't read it. They also want government out of the practice of manipulating businesses. Did you just outright skip that part?? Having the government not interfere with businesses has been a staple of their fucking platform. This deal goes against that principle.

  10. #60
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,578
    Style
    Jits
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So, you are telling us that EU member states do not subsidize any industry in any way whatsoever?
    As long as it doesn't affect imports/exports between EU members there is not much problem.

Page 6 of 11 First ... 2345678910 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in