Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    9
    -1

    This guy CLAIMS he learned how to use the Japanese Katana from Shorin Ryu Karate.

    Hello, i am new here and i wanted to post a video but i seem to have trouble doing so. Anyway, when I figure it out, the video I am supposed to post is about a guy on facebook who claims thatbhe learned how to use the katana in Shorin Ryu Karate. Question. Does karate (Shorin Ryu to be precise) teach students how to use the japanese sword?

  2. #2
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    5,305
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    2
    Moved MABS -> YMAS

    Welcome, SA. Somebody will be along to answer your question, shortly.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    956
    Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    2
    The question is not, does Shorin Ryu Karate teach the sword. The question is, does the sword teach Shorin Ryu!

    O.o

  4. #4
    Michael Tzadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    1,367
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by StealthAssassin View Post
    Hello, i am new here and i wanted to post a video but i seem to have trouble doing so. Anyway, when I figure it out, the video I am supposed to post is about a guy on facebook who claims thatbhe learned how to use the katana in Shorin Ryu Karate. Question. Does karate (Shorin Ryu to be precise) teach students how to use the japanese sword?
    It would appear that some schools teach Japanese sword
    http://www.seiyo-shorinryu.com/samurai-weapons

    Whether their actual technique is any good, I will leave to some of our actual Japanese sword practitioners here.



    Though I am going to guess by the amount of extreme karate type flailing that they do, as opposed to traditional Kenjutsu kata, that the answer is not really.

  5. #5
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,174
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    It would appear that some schools teach Japanese sword
    http://www.seiyo-shorinryu.com/samurai-weapons

    Whether their actual technique is any good, I will leave to some of our actual Japanese sword practitioners here.



    Though I am going to guess by the amount of extreme karate type flailing that they do, as opposed to traditional Kenjutsu kata, that the answer is not really.


    I am going to go out on a limb here and say that with the number of children watching in the second video and the child performing nonsense in the first one, there isn't any serious (read: legitimate)sword or weapon instruction going on.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  6. #6
    Michael Tzadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    1,367
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I am going to go out on a limb here and say that with the number of children watching in the second video and the child performing nonsense in the first one, there isn't any serious (read: legitimate)sword or weapon instruction going on.
    Dude. That is MASTER Foster Thompson you are talking about. MASTER... How dare you?

  7. #7
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,174
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Dude. That is MASTER Foster Thompson you are talking about. MASTER... How dare you?
    I said I was going out on a limb.
    I could be wrong and have no understanding of Japanese Sword Play what so ever, despite thinking I have a very basic understanding.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  8. #8
    Michael Tzadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    1,367
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I said I was going out on a limb.
    I could be wrong and have no understanding of Japanese Sword Play what so ever, despite thinking I have a very basic understanding.
    I'm sure if you humble yourself and beg his forgiveness Master Foster will forgive you. Unless he is having a teen moment of course then you are screwed. Clearly though he is legit. He even uses the feared and deadly reverse grip known for its lethality and badassery from the numerous places it has appeared in video games, comic books and bad hollywood films.

  9. #9
    Michael Tzadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    1,367
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    4
    On a more serious note, here is what authentic Japanese sword work looks like.


    Here is what a fight looks like between two actually trained Japanese swordsmen




    Notice the lack of spinning flailing sword work.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    7
    Style
    Aikido
    Do you want to learn?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in