Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last

Hell yeah! Hell no!

This guy CLAIMS he learned how to use the Japanese Katana from Shorin Ryu Karate.

Hello, i am new here and i wanted to post a video but i seem to have trouble doing so. Anyway, when I figure it out, the video I am supposed to post is about a guy on facebook who claims thatbhe learned how to use the katana in Shorin Ryu Karate. Question. Does karate (Shorin Ryu to be precise) teach students how to use the japanese sword?

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moved MABS -> YMAS

Welcome, SA. Somebody will be along to answer your question, shortly.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The question is not, does Shorin Ryu Karate teach the sword. The question is, does the sword teach Shorin Ryu!

O.o

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StealthAssassin View Post
    Hello, i am new here and i wanted to post a video but i seem to have trouble doing so. Anyway, when I figure it out, the video I am supposed to post is about a guy on facebook who claims thatbhe learned how to use the katana in Shorin Ryu Karate. Question. Does karate (Shorin Ryu to be precise) teach students how to use the japanese sword?
    It would appear that some schools teach Japanese sword
    http://www.seiyo-shorinryu.com/samurai-weapons

Whether their actual technique is any good, I will leave to some of our actual Japanese sword practitioners here.

Though I am going to guess by the amount of extreme karate type flailing that they do, as opposed to traditional Kenjutsu kata, that the answer is not really.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    It would appear that some schools teach Japanese sword
    http://www.seiyo-shorinryu.com/samurai-weapons

Whether their actual technique is any good, I will leave to some of our actual Japanese sword practitioners here.

Though I am going to guess by the amount of extreme karate type flailing that they do, as opposed to traditional Kenjutsu kata, that the answer is not really.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that with the number of children watching in the second video and the child performing nonsense in the first one, there isn't any serious (read: legitimate)sword or weapon instruction going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I am going to go out on a limb here and say that with the number of children watching in the second video and the child performing nonsense in the first one, there isn't any serious (read: legitimate)sword or weapon instruction going on.
    Dude. That is MASTER Foster Thompson you are talking about. MASTER... How dare you?

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Dude. That is MASTER Foster Thompson you are talking about. MASTER... How dare you?
    I said I was going out on a limb.
    I could be wrong and have no understanding of Japanese Sword Play what so ever, despite thinking I have a very basic understanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I said I was going out on a limb.
    I could be wrong and have no understanding of Japanese Sword Play what so ever, despite thinking I have a very basic understanding.
    I'm sure if you humble yourself and beg his forgiveness Master Foster will forgive you. Unless he is having a teen moment of course then you are screwed. Clearly though he is legit. He even uses the feared and deadly reverse grip known for its lethality and badassery from the numerous places it has appeared in video games, comic books and bad hollywood films.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a more serious note, here is what authentic Japanese sword work looks like.

Here is what a fight looks like between two actually trained Japanese swordsmen

Notice the lack of spinning flailing sword work.

Style
    Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you want to learn?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last