Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... Last
    Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Cat-alone-ia thread

Quick primer: Catalonia is state within Spain. 2 years ago, they decided by a narrow margin to leave Spain by 2017. Spain objected to this, obviously.
    Last week, Catalonia said there will be a referendum (i.e. popular vote) next month. Spanish supreme court shut it down. Catalonia is thumbing its nose.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-14-06-14-09

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Catalexit?

An interesting development. I wonder what the state's options truly are when faced with opposition from the national government. On what legs could the Catalans enforce a separation?
    "I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scares away ghosts, creates for itself goblins--it wants to laugh." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    If you are getting scared and short of breathe remind/tell yourself ,"There's no where else in the whole world I choose to be tonight."

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Catalonia is not a state but a nation within Spain. Leaving is not legally allowed by the Spanish Constitution.

I don't think the Catalan government has other means to enforce a separation than massive civil disobedience and international support.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't blame them.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @DCS

In Italy, some parties in nothern Italy used to pretend that they wanted independence from Rome (until they got into government in Rome, when they substantially tuned down their plans).

In my opinon, the main if not only reason for this independence is that northern Italy is significantly wealthier than southern Italy, so many northeners just didn't want to pay taxes for the southeners, and mostly amped up "cultural differences" to pretend there wer.

For what I can understand Catalunian independence is more or less the same thing. Am I correct or there are other reasons?

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Quick primer: Catalonia is state within Spain. 2 years ago, they decided by a narrow margin to leave Spain by 2017. Spain objected to this, obviously.
    Last week, Catalonia said there will be a referendum (i.e. popular vote) next month. Spanish supreme court shut it down. Catalonia is thumbing its nose.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-14-06-14-09
    See what happens when you move from fascist dictatorship to representative government?

Chaos...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Catalonia is not a state but a nation within Spain. Leaving is not legally allowed by the Spanish Constitution.

I don't think the Catalan government has other means to enforce a separation than massive civil disobedience and international support.
    Similar to Andorra?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post

I defer to your likely better understanding of the political makeup, but isn't that exactly what's going on, here? Catalonia calls themselves a nation, but Spain recognizes them only as a state.

Winning is so much better with sore losers Join us... or die
    Style
    boxing, gjj
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has been in the works for at least 5 years. Immigration, namely Muslim immigration, is a big deal there.

The separatists even promised the Muslims a huge mosque in return for their political support for separation.

The region has been very open to Muslim immigrants. Its where Barcelona is, so we see where that brilliant immigration policy has lead them.

I say let them be independent and welcome in all the Muslims they want. When the Muslims start running over more people, throwing gays off tall buildings, and stoning women to death for getting raped, they'll have the utopia they asked for.

Sources:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ratist-picture
    https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/4...na-mega-mosque
    A succubus is a Lilin-demon in female form, or supernatural entity in folklore that appears in dreams and takes the form of a woman in order to seduce men, usually through sexual activity. Religious traditions hold that repeated sexual activity with a succubus may result in the deterioration of health or mental state, or even in death.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    This has been in the works for at least 5 years. Immigration, namely Muslim immigration, is a big deal there.

The separatists even promised the Muslims a huge mosque in return for their political support for separation.

The region has been very open to Muslim immigrants. Its where Barcelona is, so we see where that brilliant immigration policy has lead them.

I say let them be independent and welcome in all the Muslims they want. When the Muslims start running over more people, throwing gays off tall buildings, and stoning women to death for getting raped, they'll have the utopia they asked for.

Sources:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ratist-picture
    https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/4...na-mega-mosque
    Not sure how exactly this fits in:
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...ral-referendum
    Skip down a bit to the video, a sign with a hammer and sickle, "TOURIST GO HOME!" Apparently, there's a "tourism kills," campaign within Catalonia, but some of their rhetoric includes "refugees welcome." So, are they pro- or anti-secession?

(edit: interesting aside, why do people get so up in arms about a swastika, but are ok with a hammer and sickle?)

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... Last