Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Big eye opener for me, as not all control positions lend themselves to the leverage necessary to strike effectively. That plus covering when you are on bottom while trying to escape...
    It's a game changer, isn't it?

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    A kick or strike to the nuts of an adrenalin dumped homosapien can be effective. So can breaking their limbs with a steel pipe or a couple bullets. Humans can and have walked right through broken limbs, multiple gunshots, car and plane crashes, dismemberment, etc to continue to fight.

The testicals are not an Off Switch. If you want an off switch you have to destroy the thinky thinky organ.
    To put things in context compared to losing arm or limb in a sword fight or taking a knife to the torso in a back alley fight or an apex predator chewing on your arm a kick to the balls is a tickle to the nervous system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogurisu View Post
    This devil's advocate thing really sucks. Poor choice for my first day on the forum. Couldn't agree more on the live training (or most of your other points).

I'm curious why advocating groin strikes in self defence gets such a negative reply. As an application of good technique and training not as an alternative to it. Learning from my earlier mistakes I'm going to try some evidence on this one. Can a groin strike stop a highly trained and motivated resisting opponent effectively? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=62l3O4xrkSc
    It's a compilation of ring fighting low blows.

You guys have been obviously been around the block on this forum so apologies again if this is a regularly trotted out cliche.
    0 pro fights were stopped by groin strike when they were legal in NHB / Vale Tudo. Now crying about them will get you the W or a point taken from the offender and they seem to work better. Groin strikes are legal in Thailand for Muay Thai, nobody stops. Funny how that is isn't it?

If you think tough guys stop for kicks to the balls you haven't met many tough guys.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This devil's advocate thing really sucks. Poor choice for my first day on the forum. Couldn't agree more on the live training (or most of your other points).

I'm curious why advocating groin strikes in self defence gets such a negative reply. As an application of good technique and training not as an alternative to it. Learning from my earlier mistakes I'm going to try some evidence on this one. Can a groin strike stop a highly trained and motivated resisting opponent effectively? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=62l3O4xrkSc
    It's a compilation of ring fighting low blows.

You guys have been obviously been around the block on this forum so apologies again if this is a regularly trotted out cliche.
    No doubt a good shot to the gonads can be effective, the RBSD thing of apparently relying almost solely on it is the problem. Among many, many other issues.

Adrenaline is a funny thing, I've been hit solidly in the gonads doing Judo, and just kept on going. Hurts like hell afterwards, but in the moment, not so much. other times, I've had to stop to recover.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    That's why we mount ;-) and rain thunder .
    Or, as my BJJ coach says "Get on top and stay on top"...

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    It's a game changer, isn't it?
    Yep, Sylvio Behring had us doing that when he was here.

It's hard for untrained folks to imagine how effective a reasonably well trained BJJ'ist (and others no doubt) can control your movement and adjust to your reactions to escape or reverse a position.

The brown belt I train with would be a case in point, or of course, as well as the two purple belts, and of course our black belt coach.

It's the same standing up, but things are more unbalanced there and happen a bit faster, especially the striking aspect.

Style
    MMA/ Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    No doubt a good shot to the gonads can be effective, the RBSD thing of apparently relying almost solely on it is the problem. Among many, many other issues.

Adrenaline is a funny thing, I've been hit solidly in the gonads doing Judo, and just kept on going. Hurts like hell afterwards, but in the moment, not so much. other times, I've had to stop to recover.
    With the speed those replies came back I suspect this isn't a new question. Thanks for the comprehensive responses.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With the speed those replies came back I suspect this isn't a new question.
    You have no idea my friend.
    Thanks for the comprehensive responses.
    No problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Page 3 of 3 First 123