Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboygrappler View Post
    Yeah, I gotta admit I find that part of his youtube channel hilarious, I guess he thinks he's a deep thinker of some sort, and in trying to prove it hes unintentionally very funny.

Like he did one video explaining "why whataboutisms are not appropriate" and he goes into this convoluted explanation with some inane examples and analogies and at the end he says "I hope you all understand some of this, although you probably dont because of your psychological need to reinforce a position", although philosophy and wrestling arent directly related I get the feeling that his wrestling claims are about as legit as his philosophical credentials.

I could be wrong, the guy could be an elite wrestler thats just really excentric but Im getting a strong vibe that the guy is either full of crap or delusional.

Id love to see some footage of him wrestling or even rolling, anything at all, if anyone knows, Im willing to admit Im totally wrong if the evidence so indicates.
    I don't really see where he has ever claimed to be an elite wrestler.
    He said he is a wrestling coach($50 and a background check and you are an AAU wrestling coach, $80 and a background check for USA Wrestling). Being a wrestling coach requires absolutely no verifiable experience wrestling. In fact in places like New Jersey there have been some power house teams started by coaches who were little more than willing match teachers with some instructional videos and USAWrestling lesson plans(downloadable free from USAWrestling).

He said he as 25yrs experience wrestling. Well that could mean a lot of things, and if he lived somewhere like Florida(a major grappling state) be entirely possible to do and still be a hack. Start Wrestling when you are 5 in peewees until you are 18, there is 13 years right there. Then move on to some adult club(they have those in certain states), where you are little more than a hanger on and training dummy. You may even win some off year tournaments. I mean to be fair the best guys often don't compete in off years because of risk of injury, and they have nothing to prove.

Here are his videos of wrestling online:

Nothing mind blowing in those videos but nothing horrible either. It's decent instruction for an adult beginners club. Clearly he isn't coaching D1 wrestlers or Olympic hopefuls in those videos.

From hunting around a little bit more on this guy, it seems that he was a wrestling/catch wrestling coach at Rubicon Fightsport in Austin, Texas until they closed in 2013 or 2014(which incidentally was also about the time he stopped uploading wrestling videos). They apparently had some legit BJJ and MMA going on there with fighters winning BJJ championships and MMA bouts. I know a fake black belt managed to worm his way into a UFC Gym franchise, but honestly, I have a hard time thinking that someone who wasn't legit at least to some degree was in a gym with legit BJJ grapplers and MMA fighters as a coach and didn't get called on it.

Weird political rants aside this guy pretty much seems to pass the sniff test.

Style
    Folkstyle
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    He said he is a wrestling coach($50 and a background check and you are an AAU wrestling coach, $80 and a background check for USA Wrestling). Being a wrestling coach requires absolutely no verifiable experience wrestling. In fact in places like New Jersey there have been some power house teams started by coaches who were little more than willing match teachers with some instructional videos and USAWrestling lesson plans(downloadable free from USAWrestling).

He said he as 25yrs experience wrestling. Well that could mean a lot of things, and if he lived somewhere like Florida(a major grappling state) be entirely possible to do and still be a hack. Start Wrestling when you are 5 in peewees until you are 18, there is 13 years right there. Then move on to some adult club(they have those in certain states), where you are little more than a hanger on and training dummy. You may even win some off year tournaments. I mean to be fair the best guys often don't compete in off years because of risk of injury, and they have nothing to prove.

Nothing mind blowing in those videos but nothing horrible either. It's decent instruction for an adult beginners club. Clearly he isn't coaching D1 wrestlers or Olympic hopefuls in those videos.

From hunting around a little bit more on this guy, it seems that he was a wrestling/catch wrestling coach at Rubicon Fightsport in Austin, Texas until they closed in 2013 or 2014(which incidentally was also about the time he stopped uploading wrestling videos). They apparently had some legit BJJ and MMA going on there with fighters winning BJJ championships and MMA bouts. I know a fake black belt managed to worm his way into a UFC Gym franchise, but honestly, I have a hard time thinking that someone who wasn't legit at least to some degree was in a gym with legit BJJ grapplers and MMA fighters as a coach and didn't get called on it.

What didnt pass the smell test to me was the pummeling drill video, it is completely wrong to teach it that way on any level.

Furthermore, in 2006 he was claiming that he used to compete and grapple "back in the day", and was criticising others techniques while refusing to show his own because he was "disgusted with the grappling scene", then when called out by Rob Kahn, he tucked and disappeared for a while until he surfaced as a wrestling coach in Texas.

If he is legit, it should be fairly simple to share where and when he actually wrestled. To me it appears that he may have been involved with some grapling at some point, got a taste of losing and then decided to become his own master. Which is perfectly fine and nobody's business but his.

However, at the point where he decided to teach others he crossed the line if he doesnt have legitimate verifiable wrestling credentials. In that case he has no business teaching others something he made up.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu

Here are his videos of wrestling online:

99% of catch guys are fucking hacks. The lack of creditials with belts and certs. in catch makes it easy for them to pretend to be experts. He looks like he sucks.

Style
    Folkstyle
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    99% of catch guys are fucking hacks. The lack of creditials with belts and certs. in catch makes it easy for them to pretend to be experts. He looks like he sucks.
    I just watched the mnatches from the Gotch memorial tournament and gotr the same impression. I watched a pretty decent wrestler named Curran Jacobs just run through everyone using solid wrestling fundamentals. His opponents didnt have a clue, and these guys are supposed to be top of the food chain in catch.

The problem, I think, is that they learn different submissions one by one, but they never learn stand up and fundamentals. They can probably demonstrate a million cool locks and submissions but cant put it together in an actual match.

Real wrestling is hard, gritty and humbling. A lot of people want to be badasses but find the road too hard, and they look for shortcuts. This guy in particular, he really wants to be a wrestling wrecking machine but couldnt handle losing and took his mats home so to speak Thats my impression anyway.

I'll be glad to admit Im wrong if his wrestling experience is verified, I just dont think that will happen, but who knows.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    What didnt pass the smell test to me was the pummeling drill video, it is completely wrong to teach it that way on any level.
    What exactly is your problem with his pummeling drill video? Can you perhaps offer time codes and specific critiques?

Furthermore, in 2006 he was claiming that he used to compete and grapple "back in the day", and was criticising others techniques while refusing to show his own because he was "disgusted with the grappling scene", then when called out by Rob Kahn, he tucked and disappeared for a while until he surfaced as a wrestling coach in Texas.
    Do you have any proof for any of these claims? I mean you want to go after this guy and call BS on him, you need to be able to back up the claims you are making against him.

If he is legit, it should be fairly simple to share where and when he actually wrestled. To me it appears that he may have been involved with some grapling at some point, got a taste of losing and then decided to become his own master. Which is perfectly fine and nobody's business but his.
    If he were even still coaching I could see where this might be a concern for his students and/or his employer if he is working out of a club. However, it is pretty clear from his Facebook page that he considers his grappling days and coaching days over. His Youtube page doesn't even link his wrestling videos anymore, you have to hunt those up with long google searches. What exactly made you want to try and get an investigation rolling on this guy?

However, at the point where he decided to teach others he crossed the line if he doesnt have legitimate verifiable wrestling credentials. In that case he has no business teaching others something he made up.
    I'm sorry but the two primary wrestling organizations in the US, AAU and USA Wrestling do not require you have a wrestling background to teach, and become registered coaches. USA Wrestling doesn't put in an experience requirement of any sort until you want to go for gold level certification, which includes you actually traveling with and assisting in the coaching of the US National team...

Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I didn't say he looked good. I just said he doesn't look like a fraud.

I just watched the mnatches from the Gotch memorial tournament and gotr the same impression. I watched a pretty decent wrestler named Curran Jacobs just run through everyone using solid wrestling fundamentals. His opponents didnt have a clue, and these guys are supposed to be top of the food chain in catch.

The problem, I think, is that they learn different submissions one by one, but they never learn stand up and fundamentals. They can probably demonstrate a million cool locks and submissions but cant put it together in an actual match.

Real wrestling is hard, gritty and humbling. A lot of people want to be badasses but find the road too hard, and they look for shortcuts. This guy in particular, he really wants to be a wrestling wrecking machine but couldnt handle losing and took his mats home so to speak Thats my impression anyway.

I'll be glad to admit Im wrong if his wrestling experience is verified, I just dont think that will happen, but who knows.
    Really this isn't the place to trash catch wrestling. That would be the YMAS subforum.

What is your connection to this guy? How did you come across him? Why do you care? Why do you want him investigated?

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    What exactly is your problem with his pummeling drill video? Can you perhaps offer time codes and specific critiques?

It should go with foot work imo.

Style
    Folkstyle

Do you have any proof for any of these claims? I mean you want to go after this guy and call BS on him, you need to be able to back up the claims you are making against him.

If he were even still coaching I could see where this might be a concern for his students and/or his employer if he is working out of a club. However, it is pretty clear from his Facebook page that he considers his grappling days and coaching days over. His Youtube page doesn't even link his wrestling videos anymore, you have to hunt those up with long google searches. What exactly made you want to try and get an investigation rolling on this guy?

I'm sorry but the two primary wrestling organizations in the US, AAU and USA Wrestling do not require you have a wrestling background to teach, and become registered coaches. USA Wrestling doesn't put in an experience requirement of any sort until you want to go for gold level certification, which includes you actually traveling with and assisting in the coaching of the US National team...

I didn't say he looked good. I just said he doesn't look like a fraud.

Really this isn't the place to trash catch wrestling. That would be the YMAS subforum.

What is your connection to this guy? How did you come across him? Why do you care? Why do you want him investigated?
    The pummeling video shows guys slamming into each other with each underhook like it was a shoulder strike, whereas in wrestling pummeling is smooth process of exchanging underhooks to secure a grasp. If you watch his video, theres no grasp or hook, theyre literally just slamming their shoulders and chests into each other. Its an abomination of a drill and nothing to do with pummeling.

Heres an example of proper pummeling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fz-duVr-vY

As for the 2006 claims, its just what I was able to research online, heres the link to the thread with most of the info:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/foru...-area:707228-1

As for my connection, it all started with me questioning his technique on his video and him telling me to eff off because he knew what pummeling was due to his 25 years experience, me asking where he got that experience and him deleting my comments.

I care because Im a wrestler and I have a problem with bad technique being passed off to people who are trying to learn.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Meh. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. I've got my kids in wrestling. One of my sons, years ago, was wrestling at the local YMCA who had a legit national level coach. But, he was out a lot traveling for teams he was coaching. When he was out, the YMCA begged pretty much anyone who could do a penetration step to coach the kids just to keep them wrestling and keep the program going. They even begged me to coach at one point. Our local schools frequently have highschool coaches that just graduated highschool and never went to college. Just to keep the wrestling programs going.

There is no money, no fame, and no status in it. If this dude says he is a wrestling coach, wippydo. Now if he want's to debate submission techniques with BJJ black belts, he will get owned and drop off the map like he did. As he should have.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Folkstyle
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Meh. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. I've got my kids in wrestling. One of my sons, years ago, was wrestling at the local YMCA who had a legit national level coach. But, he was out a lot traveling for teams he was coaching. When he was out, the YMCA begged pretty much anyone who could do a penetration step to coach the kids just to keep them wrestling and keep the program going. They even begged me to coach at one point. Our local schools frequently have highschool coaches that just graduated highschool and never went to college. Just to keep the wrestling programs going.

There is no money, no fame, and no status in it. If this dude says he is a wrestling coach, wippydo. Now if he want's to debate submission techniques with BJJ black belts, he will get owned and drop off the map like he did. As he should have.
    Fair enough, I suppose you are right. I know theres no glory in the sport which is why it was odd to begin with.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, consider this mystery solved, Scrappy Doo.
    Last edited by Farmboygrappler; 9/12/2017 4:17pm at .

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    The pummeling video shows guys slamming into each other with each underhook like it was a shoulder strike, whereas in wrestling pummeling is smooth process of exchanging underhooks to secure a grasp. If you watch his video, theres no grasp or hook, theyre literally just slamming their shoulders and chests into each other. Its an abomination of a drill and nothing to do with pummeling.

Heres an example of proper pummeling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fz-duVr-vY
    Did you seriously just compare this guy to an Olympic silver medalist? I mean dude there is average, there is good, there is great, and then there is standing on the podium at the Olympic Games with a medal around your neck.

Oh and um, I guess someone should tell Urijah Faber that he doesn't really know who to pummel either

Honestly I've seen pummeling taught a bunch of different ways, and some do include chest bumping pretty hard, especially with Sambo and Judo guys, and some Greco-Roman guys I've trained with.

As for the 2006 claims, its just what I was able to research online, heres the link to the thread with most of the info:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/foru...-area:707228-1
    I see a user name that you claim is him. But I don't see that it is him. Can you prove that this user is the man in question?

As for my connection, it all started with me questioning his technique on his video and him telling me to eff off because he knew what pummeling was due to his 25 years experience, me asking where he got that experience and him deleting my comments.
    Screen shots of any of this?

Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last