Page 9 of 36 First ... 567891011121319 ... Last
  1. #81
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    7,444
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Nuclear fusion, lol...a favorite of science fiction writers.

    I have read fairly recently that they're working on technology to be able to use spent nuclear fuel in other words current nuclear waste as a fuel for particular type of nuclear reactor.

    However I don't know if even that sort of thing would supply enough energy 4 everybody to be a first world energy consumer.

    Even combined with renewable energy energy sources.

    For example solar energy and wind energy need space you have to put solar panels and wind turbines in Open Spaces.

    Nothing is without a price wind turbines kill birds and are not particularly attractive. Solar panels are not particularly attractive and take up space as well as degrading the environment because they have to be in remote areas where lots of wild creatures live like the desert.


    Yeah that whole physics thing is a bitch.

  2. #82
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,850
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Yeah that whole physics thing is a bitch.
    No free ride, gas, grass, or ass...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #83

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    439
    Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So in your last paragraph I finally kind of got what you were trying to say.

    Somehow somebody has to come up with a non regressive way taxes and penalties whatever to stimulate this eco-friendly technological development that you think will happen.

    The problem is most of the people in the world are poor or at best middle-class and so just about anything you do is going to be regressive where's the vast majority of people on the planet.

    I mean I'd love to have a Tesla even the cheap base model would be fine let alone one of those fantasy pickup trucks.

    But I can't really afford one even if they were available to buy off of a lot right now.

    I guess a significant percentage of the planet population wise would cut my throat skin me out and wear my skin until it rotted off to be the situation I am.
    It depends on whom the taxes/penalties are levied.

    For example, if we speak about cars, if there is a ban on certain kinds of motors, the producers would likely sell cars with worse specifics (like less autonomy, less acceleration etc.) but also less polluting for the same price, not cars with the same specifics at higer price IMHO.
    So people in those poor countries would have a slightly lower level of lifestyle with such regulations, but in some not very important ways, and the result would not be regressive.
    On the other hand, if you just rise taxes on fuel, this is likely to be more regressive.

    How much could technology become more green without lowering significantly our living standards? I have no idea really but, since I think that as things are today incentives in that direction are really low, I believe that there is a big space for improvement.
    For example you speak of Tesla, but research on electric cars is something really old, it just happens that automakers had no real incentive to invest A LOT in these technologies, until in the 2000s there was so much money going around in the financial markets in search of something to be invested in, that something went also in the Tesla "startup" because of the hype in technology.
    So the reason you (and I) can't really afford a Tesla is because there wasn't much investiment in electric cars to begin with.

    Incidentally there are already more economic electric cars, for example while this costs twice as much as I'm willing to pay for a car it's already at a reasonable price:
    https://www.autobytel.com/mitsubishi/i-miev/2016/
    Although it's for city dwellers I suppose.

  4. #84
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,566
    Style
    Jits
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Another alternative would be to massively inject ... some sort of sulfur-based aerosols into the stratosphere to have a similar effect.
    Yellowstone.
    Last edited by DCS; 9/10/2017 4:32pm at .

  5. #85
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    7,444
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    It depends on whom the taxes/penalties are levied.

    For example, if we speak about cars, if there is a ban on certain kinds of motors, the producers would likely sell cars with worse specifics (like less autonomy, less acceleration etc.) but also less polluting for the same price, not cars with the same specifics at higer price IMHO.
    So people in those poor countries would have a slightly lower level of lifestyle with such regulations, but in some not very important ways, and the result would not be regressive.
    On the other hand, if you just rise taxes on fuel, this is likely to be more regressive.

    How much could technology become more green without lowering significantly our living standards? I have no idea really but, since I think that as things are today incentives in that direction are really low, I believe that there is a big space for improvement.
    For example you speak of Tesla, but research on electric cars is something really old, it just happens that automakers had no real incentive to invest A LOT in these technologies, until in the 2000s there was so much money going around in the financial markets in search of something to be invested in, that something went also in the Tesla "startup" because of the hype in technology.
    So the reason you (and I) can't really afford a Tesla is because there wasn't much investiment in electric cars to begin with.

    Incidentally there are already more economic electric cars, for example while this costs twice as much as I'm willing to pay for a car it's already at a reasonable price:
    https://www.autobytel.com/mitsubishi/i-miev/2016/
    Although it's for city dwellers I suppose.

    Where do you think the electricity comes from?

  6. #86
    ermghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    4,697
    Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Where do you think the electricity comes from?
    Solar, wind farms, and unicorn jizz!
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

  7. #87
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,850
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Yellowstone.
    Yeah, that would do the trick.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #88
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,850
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Where do you think the electricity comes from?
    Exactly.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  9. #89
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,850
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Solar, wind farms, and unicorn jizz!
    It would be interesting to see how much of the Continental us would have to be covered by solar panels to supply enough electricity year round run the country.

    Wind does it not good everywhere. If you drive out towards Portland the Gorge as well as on the way to Seattle are some pretty big wind farms.

    Don't know how much they put out on average though.

    The problem with wind and solar is that you have to be able to store the power somehow four times when the sun isn't shining in the wind isn't blowing.

    Certainly there are part of the solution but not at this time a Panacea.

    Unicorn tears though well just ask Harry Potter.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #90
    Nutcracker, sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    5,068
    Style
    BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I have read fairly recently that they're working on technology to be able to use spent nuclear fuel in other words current nuclear waste as a fuel for particular type of nuclear reactor.
    Sounds like a breeder reactor, to me. If so, they've been around for a long time, actually. Maybe this is just some new spin on old tech? I'd be be interested to read, if you can dig it up (hint: CTRL-H in your browser, then use the search)

Page 9 of 36 First ... 567891011121319 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in