Page 36 of 36 First ... 263233343536
  1. #351
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    5,320
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Why not both? It literally seems the safest and wisest interpretation.

    Hope for the best but prepare for the worst?
    You missed the super-secret Third Option, throw away the whole system. I'm probably 1 from column A and 3 from column B. I definitely don't want any of Chef's Surprise C, though.

  2. #352
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,152
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Once you accept the fact that is impossible to be truly safe from harm, accidental or intentional, it's not such a big deal.

    Problem is, people want to feel safe, and realistically, to actually be totally safe is not possible.

    But politicians and others prey on that need to feel safe, and so feed the fear.

    Endless cycle...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #353
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Vale of Shadows
    Posts
    12,079
    Style
    Mixed
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    You know there are other pipelines, right? I think you're sitting on one, right now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Pipeline
    I am actually nowhere near the Colonial Pipeline, but good example to bring up. Part of it blew up last year in Alabama. The pipelines come with serious hazardous risk. Expect opposition at every turn unless a certain Executive decides he knows better and steams ahead.

    http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...tarts_6_d.html

  4. #354
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Vale of Shadows
    Posts
    12,079
    Style
    Mixed
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Satire can be tricky.
    People thought I was an apeshit crazy fucking moron here for years. Now they know I am a moron and a satirist.
    Satire can be cloaked, and in 16th century Italy, you cloaked your political satire/criticism of the ruling class, or you died.

    Putting "The Prince" in that context, given it's total contradiction to the actual life and works of Machiavelli in support of republicanism, comes across as an anomaly only apparent to later viewers or MAYBE people who really knew Niccolo. It's safe to say it is a sort of fraudulent "prince's mirror" (specula principum). It was meant to be a seriously witful literary assault on the House Medici and their Borgian overlords, and as I understand it, intended for one person before it was generally distributed.

    Might even be one of the earliest examples of Poe's law. It could definitely have been intentional misinformation, designed to trick the Medici heir into forcing a popular, republican revolution. Arm the masses? Be a total dickhead? Hell yeah. Since when is that in a tyrant or monarch's best interests?

    It's not surprising that people are apologistic on behalf of Machiavelli, because he truly wasn't "Machiavellian" in the common understanding. Hence the irony of the epigrams associated with him.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/17/2017 11:13pm at .

  5. #355
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Vale of Shadows
    Posts
    12,079
    Style
    Mixed
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Which is an often-adapted idiom probably many thousands of years old (pretty sure I could find it in Sun Tzu, if I tried) that has nothing to do with pipes or technology.
    It's Murphy's law, which goes back a long time, but it is specifically beloved in engineering circles because they try to plan for it, hence the term, "failsafe".

    "Dead Man's Switch" is my favorite. A DMS is designed to account for the operator dying before he can flip it. Talk about thinking ahead.

  6. #356
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,234
    Style
    judo hiatus
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I am actually nowhere near the Colonial Pipeline, but good example to bring up. Part of it blew up last year in Alabama. The pipelines come with serious hazardous risk. Expect opposition at every turn unless a certain Executive decides he knows better and steams ahead.

    http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...tarts_6_d.html
    Shut that feeder to the eastern seaboard down. They can go back to coal. W.rabbit will be there twice daily to shovel the ashes.

    Backhoe operator error.

  7. #357
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Vale of Shadows
    Posts
    12,079
    Style
    Mixed
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Shut that feeder to the eastern seaboard down. They can go back to coal. W.rabbit will be there twice daily to shovel the ashes.

    Backhoe operator error.
    I did once work occasionally (contracting) at the Municipal County Utilities Authority in Elizabeth, not far from the terminus of the Colonial Pipeline in Linden, NJ.

    God, did that place stink. Almost as bad as the old Staten Island Landfill, which almost made my puke every time I would visit my lady friend. The things we do for love..

  8. #358
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,185
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    It's Murphy's law, which goes back a long time, but it is specifically beloved in engineering circles because they try to plan for it, hence the term, "failsafe".

    "Dead Man's Switch" is my favorite. A DMS is designed to account for the operator dying before he can flip it. Talk about thinking ahead.
    I think that is my problem with many risky behaviors taken in the name of fossil fuels, in just about all industries and professional situations great expense is expended to prevent catastrophic results but fossil fuels specifically and consistently fall short in the long-ish game. I can't help but think the short term profits are just too damn high.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  9. #359
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Vale of Shadows
    Posts
    12,079
    Style
    Mixed
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I think that is my problem with many risky behaviors taken in the name of fossil fuels, in just about all industries and professional situations great expense is expended to prevent catastrophic results but fossil fuels specifically and consistently fall short in the long-ish game. I can't help but think the short term profits are just too damn high.
    I think fossile fuels have done well in their "long game", but we're in overtime now. I can't get my generator to start...the fuel in it is too stale. I'll probably have to drain the whole thing and start with fresh gasoline.

    For falling short in the long-ish game, see Chernobyl. Hunters won't take game near there, out of (righteous) fear the meat is irradiated.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/18/2017 1:35am at .

Page 36 of 36 First ... 263233343536

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in