Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Things
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Alright, GOSH DARN It! (It is ANOTHER "starting a new art need TIPS" thread)

Well, after years of training in traditional martial arts like taekwondo, karate and a buutload of other things, I'm gonna start training in MMA. Any tips?

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No swearing in thread titles, welcome to Bullshido, Wrong forum; thread moved.

Congrats on trying out a combat sport. I hope you picked a good school. We are going to need more details to give you any sort of tips that will help, well I need more details anyway. How old are you? How long did you do traditional arts? What ranks? Have you sparred hard before? Have you grappled with any seriousness? Have you ever fought? etc...then I can give you some tips which may actually help you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Things
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for the swearing. I did traditional taekwondo from age 10-14, quit then came back at age 38. I have a brown belt in taekwondo and a blue belt in kyokushin. I'm 39 now. As far as hard fighting, the closest I've come is kyokushin full contact fighting. I've also trained in modern arnis and kuntao silat. I'm not really training mma to compete, more for self defense and the conditioning. Things like diet and conditioning are virtually non existent in traditional martial arts (at least from what I've seen). I've also trained in poekoelan tjimindie tulen, but let's not go there.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can swear all you would like in thread. Just not in the titles.

So you haven't done any real heavy contact with headshots? 39 isn't too old to get hit the face. You might find medium contact full range sparring a little scary and disorienting but a good school should work you into that bit by bit. Just remember you heal a little slower now and to keep your hands up.
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Things
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done full contact sparring when I trained on Kyokushin, and took a hard kick to the face, but that was it as far as going hard. It was the best lesson in keeping my guard up that I ever had. I've never grappled.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_OR View Post
    Things like diet and conditioning are virtually non existent in traditional martial arts (at least from what I've seen).
    You musta gone to a pretty strange Kyokushin school if you've not done thousands of pushups and situps there.

Style
    Things
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, we did the sit ups and push ups. I'm talking about weight training, diet, etc.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Rob_OR;2946545]Sorry for the swearing. I did traditional taekwondo from age 10

Kyokushin is a massively underrated art and hardcore, that will help you. TKD will add some very technical kicks to your array, and matches very well if blended with TKD. Look at Connor McG....those are TKD kicks.

We used to think that all you needed was boxing wrestling and BJJ but we were wrong. When someone with good kicks also boxes the kicking opens up. However, Boxing is still far and away the most effective punching art. I came to a real boxing school after Kyokushin and got my ass beat for a while until I started giving them out. However, once your hand skills get decent you can leg kick boxers all day.

My first boxing school was the guys from Cus Damatto's camp right after Cus Died and Mike Tyson started going downhill. He beat his sparring partners asses and they beat mine. At 39 you may not want to go that route. My son trains at the Perez brothers, and they are very hardcore as well. You won't really understand it until your experience it. There is a compromise, however. The real deal schools care about one thing, producing champions. Most prefer amateurs over pros, and they will not take anyone seriously after the age of 15.

These schools are often free, funded by taxpayers to keep kids in the Ghetto out of trouble. A lot of places charge. That is actually what you want. If you are willing to pay you can get someone from a real school to train you and you won't be treated like fresh meat. Lots of skill development, bag work and individual attention, especially privates. Privates in boxing are usually cheaper than privates in say BJJ. Eventually you will spar, but you won't have a Golden Gloves champ teeing off on you after a month. There is no "70%" training to bring you along.

Next, you will want to learn how to stay off the ground in a fight. Wrestling is the best at this. However, you again have the same problem. All younger guys, wrestling their whole life who are animals. And it is very dangerous. The solution is the same: Hire someone. You do not need to become an expert at takedows, you need expertise in takedown defense. You are a striker, always, always go with your A game if you can. Takedown defense requires less athletic ability than takedowns. I teach a combat/self defense system and for someone like you I would not suggest trying to shift levels and shoot a double leg.

My son trains with a former Olympian. We may do a seminar but we are in Texas. He teaches sport, I teach self defense (head butting, biting, etc.) It is very, very easy to modify sport wrestling for self defense.

Guys in the UFC who do that are world class and have been wrestling their whole life. Self defense is different. Self defense wrestling is less physically demanding, but very hard to find.

Finally, you need ground skills. I am putting BJJ last not because ground fighting is unimportant...it is not. It is mainly because with your background boxing and takedown defense would make you very formidable in a street fight very quickly. 6 months or boxing, 6 months of wrestling. I suggest more, but that would see you through most real world fights (not counting weapons, which I train, a lot).

Also, BJJ is much, much less abusive on your body than Boxing or wrestling. Judo is also very very rough. You can do BJJ many years. I am over fifty and takedowns and sparring (in boxing) must be very modified or I will get hurt, seriously. BJJ is a great workout, but injuries are usually more minor and manageable. You have 10 years of BJJ ahead of you. It is a very, very addicting martial art. It has also lost much of its self defense quality, avoid sport BJJ and train the way they did 20 years ago when I started.

Style
    Things
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right now, I've decided to train in boxing at that gym. They also teach MMA and BJJ, so I may try those as well later on.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_OR View Post
    Right now, I've decided to train in boxing at that gym. They also teach MMA and BJJ, so I may try those as well later on.
    Have fun and remember you are the only person you need to impress.

Tips:
    1. Listen to your boxing coach.
    2. Wear a cup, even without leg kicks involved, body blows tend to drift south when you least expect it.
    3. Listen to your boxing coach.
    4. Elbows down when returning your hands to guard after striking.
    5. Keep your eyes open. This sounds like a "duh" but my entire life I have fought to overcome that flinch reaction and to this day I fail to overcome the instinct. Pictures or video of your sparring will help you see this.
    6. Don't be afraid of grappling.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Page 1 of 2 12 Last