Page 8 of 11 First ... 4567891011 Last
    Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Salty means mad. I assume they would be annoyed that they have to dance off with break dancers vs just choking or locking them up.
    I understand that many people are using "salty," in that fashion, but old-timers like myself (and, presumably, Bill) equate "salty," with having experience; doubly so for squids, like me.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I understand that many people are using "salty," in that fashion, but old-timers like myself (and, presumably, Bill) equate "salty," with having experience; doubly so for squids, like me.
    That's the way I would use/interpret "salty".
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Coming back to this thread, recently I've seen some Tomiki Aikido guys in tournament whose actual Judo-ish movements are bad.
    Well, they weren't doing Judo.

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    makes me wonder if there's going to be some Brazilian art where Cap and BJJ are merged into one some day? Assuming there isnt something Ive not heard about already.
    Modern sport BJJ.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Also, it's entirely possible that you don't understand that you can take a solid fall doing zempo kaiten and then stand up. In fact, that's how to do it correctly, IMO.
    My point is that when A throws B in most common judo forward techniques, either A controls B's arm or A falls over B, so B can't stand up, so what's the point to train zempo mostly in the roll-and-stand-up version?
    The biggest advantage is that it is less traumatic than zempo staying down.
    However whenever I've been at a judo course, when the instructor says "let's do some zempos", everyone always rolls and stand up, unless the instructor explicitly asks to stay down.
    Thinking about it, it's possible that the "less traumatic" thing is more important than the slight difference between the two movements, though.

(also, do people still train the flat forward mae ukemi? I've trained it very rarely, though obviously after many years I can do it. In fact some months ago I slipped on a wet floor and a coworker who saw me falling said: "ah, so it's true that you do martial arts" so evidently it works).

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Modern sport BJJ.
    Cobrinia and lucas Leite love them some caperiora

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    (also, do people still train the flat forward mae ukemi? I've trained it very rarely, though obviously after many years I can do it. In fact some months ago I slipped on a wet floor and a coworker who saw me falling said: "ah, so it's true that you do martial arts" so evidently it works).
    Is that the ukemi where it looks like you're about to do the worm?

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    makes me wonder if there's going to be some Brazilian art where Cap and BJJ are merged into one some day? Assuming there isnt something Ive not heard about already.

In fact I'm certain theres a Street Fighter Five character whose basically a BJJ girl whose got some Capoeira moves
    A dance where one side butt flops, whereas the other exhibits acrobatic kicks over the head of the first while standing on his or her hands! And then the butt flopping guy guys grabs the other guy's arms and reverses the situation!
    It would be great!

I hate capoeira since when a capoeira group gave a demonstration at our dojo and I looked like a clumsy idiot while trying to cartwheel and falling repeatedly on my own ass.

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    My point is that when A throws B in most common judo forward techniques, either A controls B's arm or A falls over B, so B can't stand up, so what's the point to train zempo mostly in the roll-and-stand-up version?
    Because Judo is not only about fighting but is also physical education. The roll and stand up is useful IRL.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Is that the ukemi where it looks like you're about to do the worm?
    Yes it's this:

but even on youtube I had to search a bit because the first 3 videos I saw were:

1) actually zempo rolling fall;
    2) mae ukemi but with the guy landing on the hands like in a pushup instead than on the forearms;
    3) the one dimostrating it bent the leg a lot before falling, making the fall sort of pointless.

So it appears that it isn't very popular (d'uh).

Page 8 of 11 First ... 4567891011 Last