Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Weight Lifting Advice: Push more weight longer

I am just looking for advice on how to set up my workout routine for muscle stamina. I don't care about bulking up. I'm a heavyweight. I just want to be able to push more weight longer. Mainly concerned with if I need to add in higher weight with lots of sets and that kind of thing? I also want to increase for upper body strength and core.

My cardio is pretty good for 270. I can run 3 miles. So right now I'm just looking to improve my stamina and general strength for a tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by remington50 View Post
    I am just looking for advice on how to set up my workout routine for muscle stamina. I don't care about bulking up. I'm a heavyweight. I just want to be able to push more weight longer. Mainly concerned with if I need to add in higher weight with lots of sets and that kind of thing? I also want to increase for upper body strength and core.

My cardio is pretty good for 270. I can run 3 miles. So right now I'm just looking to improve my stamina and general strength for a tournament.

What kind of tournament? Your rank, have you competed before ?

Look up stuff on "strength endurance". In general, if you want to target a specific type of fitness, you won't be increasing other types of fitness.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    What kind of tournament? Your rank, have you competed before ?

Look up stuff on "strength endurance". In general, if you want to target a specific type of fitness, you won't be increasing other types of fitness.
    Blue belts Jiu Jitsu at heavyweight. My strength was low in my last tournament but so was my stamina.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Blue belts Jiu Jitsu at heavyweight. My strength was low in my last tournament but so was my stamina.

Hmm, when is the event for which you are training, as in how much time to you have to prepare ?

Running 3 miles doesn't mean you have good cardio, especially specific to jiu jitsu competition.

There is general fitness, and sport specific fitness. You usually work on the first outside of class, and the second in class (by drilling, rollling, etc.).

What is your age and height. 297 is pretty big, most guys I've known (in Judo) that big who were in shape were well over 6' tall. Like, usually over 6'5"...

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Hmm, when is the event for which you are training, as in how much time to you have to prepare ?

Running 3 miles doesn't mean you have good cardio, especially specific to jiu jitsu competition.

There is general fitness, and sport specific fitness. You usually work on the first outside of class, and the second in class (by drilling, rollling, etc.).

What is your age and height. 297 is pretty big, most guys I've known (in Judo) that big who were in shape were well over 6' tall. Like, usually over 6'5"...
    I'm 6'0 270. And I have about 3 months. This is a 15 minute sub only tournament. Sport specific with drilling and so on I have been working on. It has been hard to get hours in some weeks because the gym owner has been closed on weekends and it is hard to get more heavyweights on open mat. I am also 28. Don't know how much this helps, but like I said. I am looking to increase my general strength and also my endurance.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    I'm 6'0 270. And I have about 3 months. This is a 15 minute sub only tournament. Sport specific with drilling and so on I have been working on. It has been hard to get hours in some weeks because the gym owner has been closed on weekends and it is hard to get more heavyweights on open mat. I am also 28. Don't know how much this helps, but like I said. I am looking to increase my general strength and also my endurance.

So, you are kinda overweight then? Not trying to be rude, but if you are 6' 270 and not strong...

15 minute sub only you will need some endurance alright...

If I were you I'd go for some sort of interval training using bodyweight/kettlebells and other props, general movement (calisthenics of various sorts) and sports specific movements, etc, 3 times a week plus your regular jits training.

That will increase you general fitness and cardio. 3 months is a fair amount of time and you should see some improvements if you can stick with it. You might lose some weight as well.

Style
    Punch and Grab
    Second Kettlebell routines, they are greater for strength endurance. A simple one is "simple and sinister", but they're plenty of Kettlebell programmes around.
    Barbell complexes are also pretty damn fantastic, make you want to die, but are fantastic, bunch of stuff on the net about them.
    I use Tactical barbell cause it fits in well with work/hobbies, so you might be interested in looking at that if you want a larger S&C recommendation. I also know that wedler (of 5/3/1 fame) came out with a programme designed for MMA, might want to look into that as well

Style
    MMA

So you compete at Ultra Heavy then? How many comps have you done before?

That could still be a consequence of fatigue, and an adrenaline dump. When that happens it really doesn't matter how strong you are before it. Learning how to relax and control your breathing rolling in the gym should help there.

If that's not the case, a lot of the competition training in the gym should build your strength and endurance. It's **** when gym hours don't match your personal schedule, or you lack needed training partners, so if you need something to supplement that I guess I'd also recommend kettlebells, and even more cardio. You can never have enough cardio.

Style
    FMA/SAMBO
    Increasing your max will help you lift sub-maximally longer. And it'll help you dump other heavyweights easier. Ass-to-grass squats, deadlift, bench, overhead press, rows, pullups, and powercleans. Squats are king. If you can do nothing else, get some coaching on squats, and do them. Day to day life will get easier. I'm a big fan of 5/3/1, and generally run that.

Generally you'll have better results separating strength from cardio. Lift weights to get strong as hell, and lighter loads will seem easier. Do cardio for cardio's sake. Grapple. Burpees. High intensity interval sprints.

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    If at 270 you can't deadlift 400 then you need to start deadlifting. Turkish get-ups and lunges would be a good idea too, though those would be lighter. Read 5/3/1 or Starting Strength on how to deadlift.

For all the rest—muscle endurance, cardio—circuits and intervals with bodyweight or kettlebells/dumbbells should be fine on top of lots and lots of jiujitsu.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Page 1 of 2 12 Last