Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    159

    Weight Lifting Advice: Push more weight longer

    I am just looking for advice on how to set up my workout routine for muscle stamina. I don't care about bulking up. I'm a heavyweight. I just want to be able to push more weight longer. Mainly concerned with if I need to add in higher weight with lots of sets and that kind of thing? I also want to increase for upper body strength and core.

    My cardio is pretty good for 270. I can run 3 miles. So right now I'm just looking to improve my stamina and general strength for a tournament.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    19,995
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by remington50 View Post
    I am just looking for advice on how to set up my workout routine for muscle stamina. I don't care about bulking up. I'm a heavyweight. I just want to be able to push more weight longer. Mainly concerned with if I need to add in higher weight with lots of sets and that kind of thing? I also want to increase for upper body strength and core.

    My cardio is pretty good for 270. I can run 3 miles. So right now I'm just looking to improve my stamina and general strength for a tournament.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What kind of tournament? Your rank, have you competed before ?

    Look up stuff on "strength endurance". In general, if you want to target a specific type of fitness, you won't be increasing other types of fitness.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    What kind of tournament? Your rank, have you competed before ?

    Look up stuff on "strength endurance". In general, if you want to target a specific type of fitness, you won't be increasing other types of fitness.
    Blue belts Jiu Jitsu at heavyweight. My strength was low in my last tournament but so was my stamina.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    19,995
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by remington50 View Post
    Blue belts Jiu Jitsu at heavyweight. My strength was low in my last tournament but so was my stamina.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hmm, when is the event for which you are training, as in how much time to you have to prepare ?

    Running 3 miles doesn't mean you have good cardio, especially specific to jiu jitsu competition.

    There is general fitness, and sport specific fitness. You usually work on the first outside of class, and the second in class (by drilling, rollling, etc.).

    What is your age and height. 297 is pretty big, most guys I've known (in Judo) that big who were in shape were well over 6' tall. Like, usually over 6'5"...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Hmm, when is the event for which you are training, as in how much time to you have to prepare ?

    Running 3 miles doesn't mean you have good cardio, especially specific to jiu jitsu competition.

    There is general fitness, and sport specific fitness. You usually work on the first outside of class, and the second in class (by drilling, rollling, etc.).

    What is your age and height. 297 is pretty big, most guys I've known (in Judo) that big who were in shape were well over 6' tall. Like, usually over 6'5"...
    I'm 6'0 270. And I have about 3 months. This is a 15 minute sub only tournament. Sport specific with drilling and so on I have been working on. It has been hard to get hours in some weeks because the gym owner has been closed on weekends and it is hard to get more heavyweights on open mat. I am also 28. Don't know how much this helps, but like I said. I am looking to increase my general strength and also my endurance.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    19,995
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by remington50 View Post
    I'm 6'0 270. And I have about 3 months. This is a 15 minute sub only tournament. Sport specific with drilling and so on I have been working on. It has been hard to get hours in some weeks because the gym owner has been closed on weekends and it is hard to get more heavyweights on open mat. I am also 28. Don't know how much this helps, but like I said. I am looking to increase my general strength and also my endurance.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So, you are kinda overweight then? Not trying to be rude, but if you are 6' 270 and not strong...

    15 minute sub only you will need some endurance alright...

    If I were you I'd go for some sort of interval training using bodyweight/kettlebells and other props, general movement (calisthenics of various sorts) and sports specific movements, etc, 3 times a week plus your regular jits training.

    That will increase you general fitness and cardio. 3 months is a fair amount of time and you should see some improvements if you can stick with it. You might lose some weight as well.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Cold, Wet and Miserable
    Posts
    209
    Style
    Punch and Grab
    Second Kettlebell routines, they are greater for strength endurance. A simple one is "simple and sinister", but they're plenty of Kettlebell programmes around.
    Barbell complexes are also pretty damn fantastic, make you want to die, but are fantastic, bunch of stuff on the net about them.
    I use Tactical barbell cause it fits in well with work/hobbies, so you might be interested in looking at that if you want a larger S&C recommendation. I also know that wedler (of 5/3/1 fame) came out with a programme designed for MMA, might want to look into that as well

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    430
    Style
    MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by remington50 View Post
    I'm 6'0 270. And I have about 3 months. This is a 15 minute sub only tournament. Sport specific with drilling and so on I have been working on. It has been hard to get hours in some weeks because the gym owner has been closed on weekends and it is hard to get more heavyweights on open mat. I am also 28. Don't know how much this helps, but like I said. I am looking to increase my general strength and also my endurance.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So you compete at Ultra Heavy then? How many comps have you done before?

    That could still be a consequence of fatigue, and an adrenaline dump. When that happens it really doesn't matter how strong you are before it. Learning how to relax and control your breathing rolling in the gym should help there.

    If that's not the case, a lot of the competition training in the gym should build your strength and endurance. It's **** when gym hours don't match your personal schedule, or you lack needed training partners, so if you need something to supplement that I guess I'd also recommend kettlebells, and even more cardio. You can never have enough cardio.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    302
    Style
    FMA/SAMBO
    2
    Increasing your max will help you lift sub-maximally longer. And it'll help you dump other heavyweights easier. Ass-to-grass squats, deadlift, bench, overhead press, rows, pullups, and powercleans. Squats are king. If you can do nothing else, get some coaching on squats, and do them. Day to day life will get easier. I'm a big fan of 5/3/1, and generally run that.

    Generally you'll have better results separating strength from cardio. Lift weights to get strong as hell, and lighter loads will seem easier. Do cardio for cardio's sake. Grapple. Burpees. High intensity interval sprints.

  10. #10
    1point2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,393
    Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    1
    If at 270 you can't deadlift 400 then you need to start deadlifting. Turkish get-ups and lunges would be a good idea too, though those would be lighter. Read 5/3/1 or Starting Strength on how to deadlift.

    For all the rest—muscle endurance, cardio—circuits and intervals with bodyweight or kettlebells/dumbbells should be fine on top of lots and lots of jiujitsu.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in