Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #11
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,888
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    That's essentially a hyperbolic way of expressing the idea that "everybody is armed". Hyperbole sells ****, and that's what Larkin's is doing, making a living.

    In a country with firearms rights like the USA, it's not unreasonable to assume everyone is armed (as in firearm), and certainly with a blade of some sort. It's not a matter of paranoia, it's just a practical matter to be considered.

    Heck, a guy like Rayce carries enough deadly weapons around while he works to take out a platoon of Carabinieri...
    ...

    Google says
    The Carabinieri is a military force charged with police duties under the authority of both the Ministry of Defence and Ministry of the Interior. Carabinieri is the national gendarmerie of Italy, policing both military and civilian populations.
    Was that as random as it seems or am I missing a connection between the thread and Italy's militarized traffic cops?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  2. #12
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,853
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    I understand this, but ideally one of the differrnces between a martial art/combat sport and a RBSD course is that the latter should have some teaching about situation awareness, that I think is what they are hinting with that sentence.
    But the idea that you should be allways on alarm is stupid IMHO, first of all because it is impossible to be allways on alert, and second because it sounds like a recipe to escalate instead of deescalate.
    I'm not sure what Larkins exactly wrote, because I'm not going to waste my time reading his stuff.

    However, assuming that everyone is armed does not equal "on alarm", or paranoid, or "always on alert", or is it "a recipe to escalate instead of deescalate".

    I constantly check people for weapons where I work, but I'm not a nervous wreck. I do the same when I'm just walking around, it's a habit. A guy has a knife or gun on him where I work, I have to tell him to leave, secure the weapon, and come back. That's when I get a bit more on point, because not everybody is happy about that for various reasons. Most just apologize and comply, as around here at least, carrying a knife is equal to carrying pliers or a bottle opener, and carrying a gun concealed or open is totally legal (with exceptions for certain places, like where I work).

    I was trying to make the point that you live in Italy, where (I assume) people may carry knives, but not firearms, in public (unless hunting or something similar), so to you, firearm = alarm OMG terrorist/bank robber etc.

    Larkins was IMO, exaggerating for effect (to sell stuff). Remember that, everybody has to make a living...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #13
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,853
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    To be fair they haven't had much of a fighting force since the fall of The Roman empire.
    Modesty is not your strong suite...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #14
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,853
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    ...

    Google says


    Was that as random as it seems or am I missing a connection between the thread and Italy's militarized traffic cops?
    I was making kind of a joke that MrMister might get, as he would know what the Carabinieri are and that they are armed, plus, a joke towards Rayce, as he has written about how many deadly tools he carries (which is true), versus Italian armed traffic cops,and he got it, LOL.

    So you see, Monkey, it was a multilayered joke based on circumstance and past behavior and attitude of the people involved.

    Maybe you should get some rest?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #15
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,888
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AhHA! I missed MisterMR's location ... for some reason I was thinking he was in Spain. I was so confident in that assumption that didn't check before asking.

    but now on to more on topic discussion, that was a ridiculous podcast.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  6. #16
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,853
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    AhHA! I missed MisterMR's location ... for some reason I was thinking he was in Spain. I was so confident in that assumption that didn't check before asking.

    but now on to more on topic discussion, that was a ridiculous podcast.
    I admire your fortitude monkey I can't be arsed to listen to that crap.

    Yes I should keep an open mind and do so but apparently I'm right from what you wrote.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  7. #17
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,853
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    AhHA! I missed MisterMR's location ... for some reason I was thinking he was in Spain. I was so confident in that assumption that didn't check before asking.

    but now on to more on topic discussion, that was a ridiculous podcast.
    DCS is in Spain, Galicia to be specific.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #18
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I was making kind of a joke that MrMister might get, as he would know what the Carabinieri are and that they are armed, plus, a joke towards Rayce, as he has written about how many deadly tools he carries (which is true), versus Italian armed traffic cops,and he got it, LOL.

    So you see, Monkey, it was a multilayered joke based on circumstance and past behavior and attitude of the people involved.

    Maybe you should get some rest?
    This was so wonderfully pedantic.

    I lol'ed

  9. #19
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,853
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    This was so wonderfully pedantic.

    I lol'ed
    Monkey is still recovering from his multiple surgeries and self-abuse, so I thought I should explain.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    532
    Style
    ninpo nusubito, arnis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Larkins was IMO, exaggerating for effect (to sell stuff). Remember that, everybody has to make a living...
    yup, making a living off corpses, namely his students and followers. no different with terrorists bearing the cause of religion to gain money and political power by the sacrifice of the lives of commoners.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in