Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
  1. #1
    Wounded Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,362
    Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    LOL, Tim Larkin did a podcast on "When Violence Is The Answer"

    I don't know too much about Tim Larkin except that at some point or another someone made a thread about him on this website. I was surprised, therefore, when I stumbled across a recent podcast that he made. Apparently, the subject is "When Violence Is The Answer".

    http://www.artofmanliness.com/2017/0...really-answer/

    Today on the show, Tim and I discuss what he means by violence and why it’s often the only possible response to violence. He then goes into detail about the difference between antisocial aggression and asocial violence and how to respond to both. We then discuss why good people should study criminals on how to use violence more effectively. We end our conversation by exploring how knowing how to kill and maim people can counterintuitively make you a more peaceful and gentle man.
    Oookaayy then....I don't feel the need to listen to it, but it sounds like a weird, over the top macho podcast! If it were me, I'd be embarrassed to make public statements like that.

    It kind of reminds me of this weird old musical gem, in terms of wackyness and being ridiculous:

    Be sure to listen to the lyrics.....
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 8/29/2017 3:42pm at .
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

  2. #2
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,565
    Style
    Jits
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This artofmanliness website is very ghey.

  3. #3
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,847
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    This artofmanliness website is very ghey.
    Well, ghey does not necessarily mean not manly...

    (insert pic of manly gay guy from website I will definitely not access from work).
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #4
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,847
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    I don't know too much about Tim Larkin except that at some point or another someone made a thread about him on this website. I was surprised, therefore, when I stumbled across a recent podcast that he made. Apparently, the subject is "When Violence Is The Answer".

    http://www.artofmanliness.com/2017/0...really-answer/



    Oookaayy then....I don't feel the need to listen to it, but it sounds like a weird, over the top macho podcast! If it were me, I'd be embarrassed to make public statements like that.

    It kind of reminds me of this weird old musical gem, in terms of wackyness and being ridiculous:

    Be sure to listen to the lyrics.....
    His name is Tim Larkin and he’s a self-defense expert and the founder of Target Focus Training. Tim has trained military, law enforcement, and civilians on how to use violence to protect themselves. In his latest book, When Violence Is the Answer, Tim makes a convincing case that civilians need to change their mindset about violence if they want to protect themselves and their family.

    **Edit*** from the bullet list same link Why training is easy, but the understanding and mindset is hard to come by

    That's all I needed to read from the link you posted...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    532
    Style
    ninpo nusubito, arnis
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the art of manliness website is very sad. it has many good resources, but it just takes outside "experts" at face value, without verification of their expertise and the validity of the critism from their critics. first it was krav maga, then anthony cummins, now it's tim larkin. they should've just stuck to the gracies (which they did before).

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Slough
    Posts
    864
    Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baby_cart View Post
    the art of manliness website is very sad. it has many good resources, but it just takes outside "experts" at face value, without verification of their expertise and the validity of the critism from their critics. first it was krav maga, then anthony cummins, now it's tim larkin. they should've just stuck to the gracies (which they did before).
    Agree - there have been a couple of videos on there that have been quite interesting - for example the battle ropes workout is quite good and I was interested in the videos with Mark Reptoe.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    439
    Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Art of Manliness website
    Why Tim treats everyone he meets as if they’re seconds away from a shooting spree.
    The last point from the "Show Highlights" really sounds paranoid.
    I don't think that a self defence course that teachs you to treat everyone you meet "as if they’re seconds away from a shooting spree" can ever be a good self defence course.

  8. #8
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,847
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    The last point from the "Show Highlights" really sounds paranoid.
    I don't think that a self defence course that teachs you to treat everyone you meet "as if they’re seconds away from a shooting spree" can ever be a good self defence course.
    That's essentially a hyperbolic way of expressing the idea that "everybody is armed". Hyperbole sells ****, and that's what Larkin's is doing, making a living.

    In a country with firearms rights like the USA, it's not unreasonable to assume everyone is armed (as in firearm), and certainly with a blade of some sort. It's not a matter of paranoia, it's just a practical matter to be considered.

    Heck, a guy like Rayce carries enough deadly weapons around while he works to take out a platoon of Carabinieri...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    439
    Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    That's essentially a hyperbolic way of expressing the idea that "everybody is armed". Hyperbole sells ****, and that's what Larkin's is doing, making a living.

    In a country with firearms rights like the USA, it's not unreasonable to assume everyone is armed (as in firearm), and certainly with a blade of some sort. It's not a matter of paranoia, it's just a practical matter to be considered.

    Heck, a guy like Rayce carries enough deadly weapons around while he works to take out a platoon of Carabinieri...
    I understand this, but ideally one of the differrnces between a martial art/combat sport and a RBSD course is that the latter should have some teaching about situation awareness, that I think is what they are hinting with that sentence.
    But the idea that you should be allways on alarm is stupid IMHO, first of all because it is impossible to be allways on alert, and second because it sounds like a recipe to escalate instead of deescalate.

  10. #10
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,523
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    That's essentially a hyperbolic way of expressing the idea that "everybody is armed". Hyperbole sells ****, and that's what Larkin's is doing, making a living.

    In a country with firearms rights like the USA, it's not unreasonable to assume everyone is armed (as in firearm), and certainly with a blade of some sort. It's not a matter of paranoia, it's just a practical matter to be considered.

    Heck, a guy like Rayce carries enough deadly weapons around while he works to take out a platoon of Carabinieri...
    To be fair they haven't had much of a fighting force since the fall of The Roman empire.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in