Page 1 of 11 12345 ... Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Sydney, The Land Down Under
    Posts
    35
    Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Hello there! Complete newbie looking for information on 'Sifu Brett Russell'

    Hey guys!

    As you can tell, I am a complete newbie to this website, and my very first post!

    A little bit about me - I am 25, I live in Sydney, Australia. I am by no means proficient in any style of MA, but I have dabbled in Wing Chun (1 year) and Muay Thai (1.5 years) (WC more than 8 years ago and MT more than 3 years ago due to time commitments) so I am pretty much a complete beginner, as I have forgotten pretty much everything except for the basics.

    I played a lot of sports in my teenage years (mainly swimming and rugby) and have lifted for approximately 1.5 years now, am definitely stronger than the average male of my size.

    However, I have been in more than half a dozen street fights/brawls over the years (I have a resting bitch face that attracts trouble; luckily, none of my opponents were trained or strong/fast enough to drop me... yet...)


    I am keen to get back into training in MA now that I have more free time. I am tossing up between conventional wisdom (getting back into Muay Thai + adding BJJ) or learning something new, such as Sanshou/Shaolin.

    A co-worker has been training in TFT, which he swears by, saying that his instructor, Mike Allen, is legit.

    Naturally, I was skeptical and a quick search of google shows a lot of other skeptics when it comes to TFT and Tim Larkin. However, I believe that it is the practitioner, not the MA. Does anyone have any experience with this bloke/ his school?


    Lastly, an acquaintance of mine has been training in sanshou/shaolin style kungfu for several years. He also swears by it, and a quick check of the sifu's lineage seems quite legit.

    However, I am naturally quite skeptical. Does anyone know anything about 'Sifu Brett Russell'? I am considering going in to see for myself, but I wanted to check with you guys first.

    Thank you all for taking the time to read my essay! If anyone can provide any information on the above, I will be super grateful!

  2. #2
    PDA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,537
    Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

    This area of the site is used for serious investigations.

    Please take the time to read the stickies in each area before posting.

    YMAS is pretty relaxed and judging by your post it would be quite well received there.

    What is it you are are trying to achieve from Martial arts ?

    How effective was your 8yrs of Wing Chun during your street fights?
    King without a crown

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Sydney, The Land Down Under
    Posts
    35
    Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    Welcome to Bullshido.

    This area of the site is used for serious investigations.

    Please take the time to read the stickies in each area before posting.

    YMAS is pretty relaxed and judging by your post it would be quite well received there.

    What is it you are are trying to achieve from Martial arts ?

    How effective was your 8yrs of Wing Chun during your street fights?

    Hey mate! Thanks for the reply.

    I will try posting on YMAS.

    Just to clear things up, I have only done ONE year of Wing Chun, stopped 8 years AGO. Same with MT, 1.5 years of practice, stopped 3 years ago.

    To be completely honest with you, most of the time, as soon as I knew 'it was going down', I hit the first, and I hit them hard. I don't think I really applied any WC techniques, closer to boxing, really.

    I am looking for self improvement/discipline, as well as a practical MA that can help protect me in sticky situations. I hope I don't have to fight in the street ever again but with my track record it can't hurt to train for the possibility.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Sydney, The Land Down Under
    Posts
    35
    Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Newbie to the forums looking for information on teachers!

    Hey guys!

    As you can tell, I am a complete newbie to this website, and I was recommended by 'PDA' to post in YMAS.

    A little bit about me - I am 25, I live in Sydney, Australia. I am by no means proficient in any style of MA, but I have dabbled in Wing Chun (1 year) and Muay Thai (1.5 years) (I stopped training in WC more than 8 years ago and MT more than 3 years ago due to time commitments) so I am pretty much a complete beginner, as I have forgotten pretty much everything except for the basics.

    I played a lot of sports in my teenage years (mainly swimming and rugby) and have lifted for approximately 1.5 years now, am definitely stronger than the average male of my size.

    However, I have been in more than half a dozen street fights/brawls over the years (I have a resting bitch face that attracts trouble; luckily, none of my opponents were trained or strong/fast enough to drop me... yet...)


    I am keen to get back into training in MA now that I have more free time. I am tossing up between conventional wisdom (getting back into Muay Thai + adding BJJ) or learning something new, such as Sanshou/Shaolin.

    A co-worker has been training in TFT, which he swears by, saying that his instructor, Mike Allen, is legit.

    Naturally, I was skeptical and a quick search of google shows a lot of other skeptics when it comes to TFT and its founder, Tim Larkin. However, I believe that it is the practitioner, not the MA. Does anyone have any experience with this bloke 'Mike Allen'/ his school, or indeed TFT in general?


    Lastly, an acquaintance of mine has been training in sanshou/shaolin style kungfu for several years. He also swears by it, and a quick check of the sifu's lineage seems quite legit.

    However, I am naturally quite skeptical. Does anyone know anything about 'Sifu Brett Russell'? I am considering going in to see for myself, but I wanted to check with you guys first.

    I am seeking to train in MA for self-improvement/discipline and to help defend myself in sticky situations. I hope never to get into another street fight, but it would not hurt to train/be prepared, due to my track record for getting into trouble/brawls.

    Thank you all for taking the time to read my essay! If anyone can provide any information on the above, I will be super grateful!

  5. #5
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,888
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    Welcome to Bullshido.

    This area of the site is used for serious investigations.

    Please take the time to read the stickies in each area before posting.

    YMAS is pretty relaxed and judging by your post it would be quite well received there.

    What is it you are are trying to achieve from Martial arts ?

    How effective was your 8yrs of Wing Chun during your street fights?
    Threads merged (MABS+YMAS=YMAS).
    PDA has the correct, welcome to Bullshido
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  6. #6
    PDA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,537
    Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps you should consider an art that would help you subdue an aggressor rather than hitting them.

    It is quite possible that your instict to know when "its going down" is flawed and you are in fact a thug.

    If you learned something like BJJ of which there are a number of decent schools in Sydney IIRC you would provide yourself with other options rather than simply punching somebody in the face which could help control and diffuse a situation.

    You would also get your arse handed to you often enough in training that you would likely reevaluate your place int he food chain and calm down a little.
    King without a crown

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Sydney, The Land Down Under
    Posts
    35
    Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    Perhaps you should consider an art that would help you subdue an aggressor rather than hitting them.

    It is quite possible that your instict to know when "its going down" is flawed and you are in fact a thug.

    If you learned something like BJJ of which there are a number of decent schools in Sydney IIRC you would provide yourself with other options rather than simply punching somebody in the face which could help control and diffuse a situation.

    You would also get your arse handed to you often enough in training that you would likely reevaluate your place int he food chain and calm down a little.

    Hmm. All of a sudden I am a thug? Interesting. What made you jump a hundred miles to that conclusion?

    I am very aware that I am not the best fighter/Martial artist to walk this earth. I made this very clear in my first post. I am always trying to learn, and I hope to avoid fighting if I can.

    Do I really want to learn a submission style that is useless in any situation involving multiple attackers? I don't know. I do not dispute the strength of BJJ in a 1 on 1 situation.

    Only two of my street fights has been one on one, and even then I tried to avoid fighting as much as humanly possible. I have a clean record due to this, independent witnesses always backed me up. One guy even started choking me before I threw my first punch.

    The rest? I was always outnumbered. Drunk lads (chavs for you Brits) and thugs picking a fight.

    Like I said, I'm lucky I've avoided SERIOUS injury so far. I hope to keep it that way.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Sydney, The Land Down Under
    Posts
    35
    Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Threads merged (MABS+YMAS=YMAS).
    PDA has the correct, welcome to Bullshido
    Thank you for the welcome, BackFistMonkey!

  9. #9
    PDA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,537
    Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedHero View Post
    Hmm. All of a sudden I am a thug? Interesting. What made you jump a hundred miles to that conclusion?

    I am very aware that I am not the best fighter/Martial artist to walk this earth. I made this very clear in my first post. I am always trying to learn, and I hope to avoid fighting if I can.

    Do I really want to learn a submission style that is useless in any situation involving multiple attackers? I don't know. I do not dispute the strength of BJJ in a 1 on 1 situation.

    Only two of my street fights has been one on one, and even then I tried to avoid fighting as much as humanly possible. I have a clean record due to this, independent witnesses always backed me up. One guy even started choking me before I threw my first punch.

    The rest? I was always outnumbered. Drunk lads (chavs for you Brits) and thugs picking a fight.

    Like I said, I'm lucky I've avoided SERIOUS injury so far. I hope to keep it that way.
    It was not a statement of fact however I am posing you with a question with which to analyse your own behaviour.

    I know allot of thugs and they all get into considerably more street fights than the non thugish of society and they all generally hit first.

    From what I have observed of their thuggery first hand if they did not hit first they would have had considerably less "street fights" .

    Boxing can be good for multiple attackers but I am getting the impression you would be better of in Krav Maga .
    King without a crown

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Slough
    Posts
    864
    Style
    Karate
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey RedHero - welcome to Bullshido.

    You might want to consider doing a proven effective martial art like Aikido? It will help you transcend from being a thug into an enlightened martial artist, a true discipline of Bushido. After all, martial arts are ultimately about making you a better person not someone who just mindlessly hits people

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in