Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Style
    Kyokushin
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PS somebody come to pea soup Anderson's and drive us home to Richmond. I'm so damned tired. I don't wanna get back in the caaaar

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    There goes the neighborhood.
    Ba ba Boom!

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
    Hah, my ears are burning!
    I know I suck a lot, thank you all for the kind words.
    Though hey, I had just done 5 hours of house cleaning after sleeping on an air mattress, and I was having an endometriosis flare up. I actually curled up in the grass right after we stopped, haha. **** being female, it sucks.
    But I had fun! And T was a very safe partner. We weren't trying to blast each other at all. :)
    I've only been to the dojo like 4 times this year, so I appreciate any chance I get to spar. Even if I still fight like a white belt and look like Grimace from McDonald's, lawl.
    Did you like my sneak attack where I rammed my jaw into his fist? That is a specialty of mine.
    Tramirezmma was an awesome host, by the way. He and his family are good people. They dealt with my crankiness quite well, and they fed Edwin and I really well too. Such hospitality. So kind.
    I'm glad we were able to help you guys get ready for your baby, man. OSU!
    You are both amazing, and helped so much. My house isn't gross any more!

You've got the heart of a fighter too, don't sell yourself short. Even going light, a lot of big dudes won't come at me with such abandon

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Either or both of you let me (us) know when you get to Cincinnati in your travels.
    Will do sir! I'm back to CO for a 10 day stint tomorrow.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post

You've got the heart of a fighter too, don't sell yourself short. Even going light, a lot of big dudes won't come at me with such abandon
    * bow*
    **** YOU !!!!!

"oh **** I thought we were playing AHHHHHHHH!! "

*polite defense and counter attack*
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    * bow*
    **** YOU !!!!!

"oh **** I thought we were playing AHHHHHHHH!! "

*polite defense and counter attack*
    If she could get healthy enough to train consistently a couple years at a time, she'd be super scary. Ev has the attitude, and the foundations of some kick ass aptitude. I love it, wish we got to train together on the regular.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I drove 2,000 miles to get away from that exact brand of extreme violence. The only reason I didn't go further is because there was an ocean in my way.

Style
    Kyokushin
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post

Thanks!

Well, to be fair, if I don't charge in, I can never freakin' REACH ANYONE, heh!

I used to be way more aggressive. I've actually ended up at the point now where I pull my strikes waaaay too much because I hurt too many people unintentionally, and I kept on getting partnered by small teens, so I had to, and it became habit. I mean, we were going light by agreement, and I know you were being really nice, heh! But it's harder for me to let go and hit hard than it used to be. When I first started training, I wasn't like most chicks. I got a reputation for being a bully without meaning to, because up until that point, my only sparring partner was a knockdown fighter from the 70s who taught me to take no prisoners, and really pounded on me until I learned to dish it right back.

Now I get stuck in "teaching" mode. Except I also suck at fighting, hah. I am not so bad at coaching. Looking at my video, I can see a ton of things I know way better about. Taking a year off from training and being constantly injured'll do that too, but really, the arm flails when I kick? LORT NO I never let the kohai get away with that, and there I am doing it. I'm charging and reaching too far, getting myself off balance by stretching my arms out in useless garbage punches when I'm out of range. But I did ok with a few of the kicks. :}

You did good too! I'd totally train regularly with you if you were local. I need a sparring buddy for sure. Even going to class twice a week, I don't get nearly enough sparring time in.

There are four types of fighters who are training in the martial arts, though this is really simplified, since plenty of people are sort of in between any of these-

1. No determination and no talent. The most common, and usually the ones who sign up for a month of classes and then ghost, never to be seen again.

2. Talent but no determination. They have no work ethic because they never needed to have it. They have a natural apitude for fighting. This gets them far... at first. Eventually, however, they get passed up by the next category.

3. Determination but no talent. Everything takes a long time to learn. Nothing comes easy. But they want it. They have the fire in their heart, burning through their veins. It takes them years to get what comes naturally to others, but they push and push. They put in the extra work. They push themselves, sometimes to utter exhaustion. They work out when not in class. They ask questions. They PRACTICE. Eventually, they get better than the people with talent and no determination by developing skills with sheer willpower and tons of boring as ****, exhausting, sweaty, stinky practice.

4. Talent and determination. **** these people. OK, not really. That's envy. These motherfuckers become the champions. They have a genetic predisposition for martial arts. Their bodies work right. Their muscles work right. Things come easily to them but they still push to make themselves better all the time. I'm thinking our (mostly absent from Bullshido these days) Amir fits this category- physically well-suited, (i.e. young, healthy, not crippled, with a good build for fighting, and SO MUCH REACH IT ISN'T FAIR WHY IS EVERYONE LONGER THAN I AM) talented with a great instinct, and always trying everything he can to learn and get better. I mean, he might be #3, but I think he's prolly #4.

Me, I'm #3 except my body is fucking broken and when I push myself too much, it gets even MORE broken, so I try to be smart about it these days, even though it means letting a lot of dreams die.

One thing I can say with confidence about our lil' sparring session today- I had fun! :D Even laughed hard enough to send my damned mouthguard flying into the grass, heh!

PS- I am a bit allergic to grass. Had big blotchy rashes all over my face, neck, legs, and arms for most of the drive home. Glad I didn't put the mouthguard back in, lol!

Style
    Kyokushin
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kendamu View Post
    I drove 2,000 miles to get away from that exact brand of extreme violence. The only reason I didn't go further is because there was an ocean in my way.
    Oh but you just live behind the Orange Curtain! You were SO CLOSE

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
    Oh but you just live behind the Orange Curtain! You were SO CLOSE
    Better than the Red(neck) Curtain.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last