Page 8 of 8 First ... 45678
  1. #71
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    5,729
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Nice try but no.
    I think you're falling into the same trap that bnet has. I don't actually believe that tripe. It's the philosophical question that fascinates me.

    As martial artists, we often take the tack that you can't know something unless you've experienced it. How many of us have actual, demonstrable experience that the world is not 6,000 years old? I'd wager close to none. We take it on faith in the word of those scientists that did the due diligence.

  2. #72
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    17,873
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I think you're falling into the same trap that bnet has. I don't actually believe that tripe. It's the philosophical question that fascinates me.

    As martial artists, we often take the tack that you can't know something unless you've experienced it. How many of us have actual, demonstrable experience that the world is not 6,000 years old? I'd wager close to none. We take it on faith in the word of those scientists that did the due diligence.
    How many people understand radiometric dating (Sr/Rb, U/Pb, Sm/Nd, 14C...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #73
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,733
    Style
    Jits
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I think you're falling into the same trap that bnet has. I don't actually believe that tripe. It's the philosophical question that fascinates me.

    As martial artists, we often take the tack that you can't know something unless you've experienced it. How many of us have actual, demonstrable experience that the world is not 6,000 years old? I'd wager close to none. We take it on faith in the word of those scientists that did the due diligence.
    No, we trust the word of scientist and in any case we ourselves can put the work and ingenuity needed to check scientific claims. Regarding divine beings we have to operate on faith only for there is no way to prove or disprove their existence, that's why they are divine (supernatural, metaphysical...) beings.
    Last edited by DCS; 8/15/2017 6:01pm at .

  4. #74
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    5,729
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    No, we trust the word of scientist and in any case we ourselves can put the work and ingenuity needed to check scientific claims.
    That's what I just said, reworded so that you can understand it and seem contrary at the same time.

  5. #75
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,801
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    That's what I just said, reworded so that you can understand it and seem contrary at the same time.
    Your wording leads one to believe there was no way to verify, as if it parts of it must be taken on faith, the way the whole of religion must be.
    When reality is the exact opposite. All of science is testable and reproducible if not, by definition, it isn't science..
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  6. #76
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    5,729
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Your wording leads one to believe there was no way to verify, as if it parts of it must be taken on faith, the way the whole of religion must be.
    When reality is the exact opposite. All of science is testable and reproducible if not, by definition, it isn't science..
    What I was attempting to express is not that laymen *can't* do the work (well, that's actually very true for a lot of things, but that's a whole other conversation), it's that they *don't* do the work, because it's so much easier to just "trust the word of scientist[s]." In many respects, it's not at all different than "believing," in a religious sense. We're just replacing "because God said so," with "because Science said so." Should Organized Science ever attempt to deceive us (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climat...il_controversy), we're in for a world of trouble.

  7. #77
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    5,101
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    What I was attempting to express is not that laymen *can't* do the work (well, that's actually very true for a lot of things, but that's a whole other conversation), it's that they *don't* do the work, because it's so much easier to just "trust the word of scientist[s]." In many respects, it's not at all different than "believing," in a religious sense. We're just replacing "because God said so," with "because Science said so." Should Organized Science ever attempt to deceive us (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climat...il_controversy), we're in for a world of trouble.
    That's funny I just thought you were trying to troll me.

  8. #78
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    5,729
    Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    That's funny I just thought you were trying to troll me.
    Trying? LOL! I was doing great, until DCS chimed in.

Page 8 of 8 First ... 45678

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in