Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: Jabbing jabs

Style
    Muay thai/boxing/bjj
    Thank you. I'll be returning to the gym probably Saturday and I'll see if I can get them to do that. Sorry about the bad English, I had just gotten out of bjj and I was the lowest ranking guy there, so everybody wanted to teach me something. Which isn't bad but very tiring.

Style
    Muay Thai, BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmymuaythai View Post
    At times, but also, I mean, trying to parry punches but it ends up literally punching the punch.
    As a MT stylist you should be familiar with deflecting or "swatting down" punches with the opposite arm, correct? Is this what you are intending to do here, or something different?

V/R

Myn

Style
    Muay thai/boxing/bjj
    Yes it is. But sometimes I try doing it with the wrong hand and "jabbing the jab" if you get what I'm trying to say.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    You will see this referred to as "intercepting fist" in some styles. Not the best strategy but if you can jam up their punches or damage the striking fist it could pay off for ya. But seeing as you are saying you are taking shots while doing and attempting it, you are doing it "wrong".
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

Style
    Muay Thai, BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    You will see this referred to as "intercepting fist" in some styles. Not the best strategy but if you can jam up their punches or damage the striking fist it could pay off for ya. But seeing as you are saying you are taking shots while doing and attempting it, you are doing it "wrong".
    I think that what he's describing is a muay thai technique in which you use the opposite side hand to "strike" down their hand for the purposes of opening the guard/setting up a counter/neutralizing the strike. It is not intended to hit fist on fist but rather to chop the hand out of the way at a diagonal to the wrist or side of the hand. Is this similar to what you are suggesting?

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Myn View Post
    I think that what he's describing is a muay thai technique in which you use the opposite side hand to "strike" down their hand for the purposes of opening the guard/setting up a counter/neutralizing the strike. It is not intended to hit fist on fist but rather to chop the hand out of the way at a diagonal to the wrist or side of the hand. Is this similar to what you are suggesting?
    Nope. Some CMA ( Chinese Martial Arts ... and even some FMA((PMA)) and JMA ) really do try to teach you to strike the incoming fist or weapon holding hand (defanging the snake).
    What you are describing is a parry, block or deflection.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 8/10/2017 11:29pm at .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

Style
    all things in Moderation
    ... and for the record unless there is a weapon involved in the defanging, I think it is a bad idea.

No, not with the attacker having the weapon but the defender.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Muay thai/boxing/bjj
    It's an attempt at that opposite hand party. I just happen to be botching it up and using my left hand and more striking it than anything. It's a mistake I've made a lot lately in sparring. Are there any instructionals on that concept of intercepting it? I may be able to take advantage of that.

I'm a lot more clear this morning than yesterday so its easier to explain what's going on.

Basically: I get into a sparring situation, my guard is up, I'm using my jab-cross-low kick more than anything, they inevitably get me with a liver shot and I fire back usually with a jab-hook-round kick or jab-hook-hook they use their jab to keep me at bay, I'm attempting to parry and hit back, but my brain says "no, no you use your left hand" and it ends up just punching it and I eat punches and knees.
    Last edited by jimmymuaythai; 8/11/2017 7:47am at .

Style
    all things in Moderation
    While I'm definitely botching up that parry, what arts teach to intercept the fist? Is there an instructional I could watch/buy?
    It's a **** technique without a blade in hand.
    I am not going to help you with it. Sorry.

Alternately:

Ask your coach and watch their reaction.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Muay Thai, BJJ
    While I'm definitely botching up that parry, what arts teach to intercept the fist? Is there an instructional I could watch/buy?
    I would not recommend it - it isn't suitable for muay thai anyways

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last