--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Think carefully.
    Yea we shall see.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I realize this was necroed a little by itemplubo's twitter question as his first post ever, but figured I would throw my $0.02 in. All of my experience is in nogi. I've done tons of wrestling. I walk around at between 215 and 240lbs. I did compete at 200 one time, but mostly stay in heavy and open weight classes. Since I have only done nogi, all of my takedowns are void of grabbing the collar, but still involve grip fighting and setting up the shot. Although one time I got a decent takedown when a guy shot in too high and ended up in a headlock. My bread and butter is double and single leg takedowns, preference on single.

However, when you are wrestling guys that big, it is difficult to do a double leg where you are lifting at the end. If you can get both legs, you are going to have to pull in the far leg and then drive through for the takedown. What normally happens, and the reason for my single leg preference is everyone sprawls and you can't get that far leg. So what you go for is a high crotch, clench that close leg, and then step back with the outside leg while pushing with the shoulder. A couple keys to this technique is dropping levels, getting a good penetration step, setting up the shot, eliminating space, keeping that inside ear pinned to the body, squeezing the leg in close and driving with the shoulder.

I don't know your wrestling background but if you have not drilled penetration steps, you should. Realize that most wrestlers have been doing them since they were in middle school. So you have a lot of catching up to do. :) I do them with either foot forward but I've only been incorporating my non dominate foot forward for the last few years. I default so much to what I know that I only have cauliflower in my left ear and not the right from all of these takedowns. Which makes me look like I have a sail flying out of the side of my head. But whatever.

Hope this helps a little.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    mt/bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this is about takedowns but work off your back and sides a lot!

A lot of us big guys in a tournament pretty much rely on who takes down who first to win, with that said... I recommend working a lot on your wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the tips is to train takedowns, which can be learned in Judo (they call them throws, but it’s the same idea - you hit people with a planet).

Despite BJJ originating from jujutsu and being a cousin to judo, throws and takedowns are no longer a big part of the martial art. As BJJ evolved, so did its groundwork. With the evolution came sport specific rules.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mind_Wave View Post
    One of the tips is to train takedowns, which can be learned in Judo (they call them throws, but it’s the same idea - you hit people with a planet).

Despite BJJ originating from jujutsu and being a cousin to judo, throws and takedowns are no longer a big part of the martial art. As BJJ evolved, so did its groundwork. With the evolution came sport specific rules.
    Which jujutsu did BJJ originate from ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Which jujutsu did BJJ originate from ?
    Maeda-ha Kodokan-ryu.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Maeda-ha Kodokan-ryu.
    Sounds about right, maybe Maeda-ha Kano Ryu Ju Jutsu?

If you throw in a "yawara" it does sound a bit sexier, though...

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mind_Wave View Post
    As BJJ evolved, so did its groundwork. With the evolution came sport specific rules.
    It was the ruleset what caused BJJ's evolution. When there were not rules (self defense and Vale Tudo matches) the grappling aspects of BJJ were not very different form Judo's.

OTOH it could be said that early BJJ was Judo with atemi, something Kano was not able to implement and his successor, Nango Jiro, tried to develop in the early 40's. Then Japan lost the war and the rest is history.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, any feedback from the OP ? OP, where are you?

Style
    Kwon Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bearhug.

Page 4 of 5 First 12345 Last