Page 2 of 2 First 12

Style
    Judo, Asian fisting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    We've been over this before man.

You can do all the weight lifting and cardio and other conditioning you want outside of class but if you keep hopping around from art to art like a flea beetle in a garden full of cabbage you're never going to get good in anything but lifting weights and Cardio.

To be clear if that's what you like to do lots of different stuff that's all cool.
    Think I might not have made my question particularly clear so allow me to rephrase. What specific training do you do for your grappling and conditioning for on the mat? Im looking at moving away from powerlifting into more sport specific training, and Im looking at routines I can incorporate into my gym time. For example Ive seen guys who use kettlebells for grip work, others who might put a gi on a cable machine and pull with it, some who use bungee chords etc.

This is purely a 'share what you do with the class' kind of thing.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Both
    Getting stronger in general and having strong grip will help. Heck a strong grip will help a **** ton of a lot.
    You are not going to find "sport specific" training in a weight lifting gym.
    Putting a gi onto a machine does not all of a sudden make it more sport specific.
    The sport specific stuff is the stuff you do on the mat.
    Of course the stuff you can do to help the most I would think are the body movement things.
    Here is a good drill by Omega that you can probably do in your room.

You should be able to do these movements smoothly, cleanly, fast, and for a decent amount of time.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Think I might not have made my question particularly clear so allow me to rephrase. What specific training do you do for your grappling and conditioning for on the mat? Im looking at moving away from powerlifting into more sport specific training, and Im looking at routines I can incorporate into my gym time. For example Ive seen guys who use kettlebells for grip work, others who might put a gi on a cable machine and pull with it, some who use bungee chords etc.

This is purely a 'share what you do with the class' kind of thing.
    When I was training to compete I ended up with a cyclical or periodical training program that would start out with getting stronger move towards more explosive strength and then muscle and strength endurance.

So you don't have to give up lifting heavy weights just don't do it all the time work that kind of stuff into a cycle your toward what you want to do in your primary art I'm assuming Judo. Then at the end of the cycle which in Judo would usually be tied to competition you can go back to lifting heavy weights you'll probably find your stronger that you were originally when you quit.

In general if you have good bass strength which it sounds like you do the best thing to do is some kind of interval training or circuit training with individual work periods ranging from 20 to 30 seconds with a 10 - 15 second break in between work intervals.

People commonly call that sort of interval training Tabata.

You can do it with weights kettlebells bodyweight exercises Sports specific movement drills Etc.

The main thing is you need to be safe with the movement at full speed and effort for the work interval 20 - 30 seconds. Do that in sets for 20 minutes. Work it into your Judo training schedule.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    FMA/SAMBO
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Full depth ass-to-grass squats and cleans/power cleans are awesome for Judo. Cleans will test your grip too, and tend to do more for it than an under/over deadlift grip. Rows are great too. Other than that, core and neck work as people have mentioned.

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a BJJ buddy of mine puts it.
    "Wrassle dudes and eat stuff."

Seriously, just about any physical activity will help with what you are doing, but if you want to get better at grappling, you need to grapple. There is very little you can do that will be more of a combination of muscular burn and pure exhaustion than grappling a lot.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff already posted....depending on where you train some cross training might help too. MMA circuits and conditioning classes help me a lot, and nothing kills my neck more than Thai clinch drills.

For BJJ, competition classes are all that's needed during those times. A couple hours of cardio, drills, then flat out non stop rolling. I've a hard enough time going to work the next morning than facing it again that night, so I'd rather use extra time to rest than think of another conditioning workout!

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    before my knees went out, I did 5x5 for strength, and ice skating for cardio (low impact, lots of fun).

Now, I mostly just stick to doing newaza sparring for strength and cardio. Weight rooms frustrate me.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

wrestlers judo ka and otherwise grapplers what do you do to condition yourself

thanks Fundog . I know youre in the states and were in the Uk but what brand of probiotics would you recommend?

Style
    GJJ, Wrestling, Kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drop steps are a great exercise for both conditioning and technique. Once your arm heals you can also do sprawls and sit outs. These can really get you breathing.

As for strength I always include back rows for grip strength and neck exercises to help not get choked.

Anything that builds explosive strength such as cleans is not a bad thing.

Page 2 of 2 First 12