Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    A high-power rifle won't kill a bear?
    well this is the southern half of NY state so using a high powered rifle to hunt is STRENG VERBOTEN! (achtung!)

i'll have a 12 gauge shotgun set up for slugs, the idea is if a bear were to get close enough to me (climbing the tree) the pistol would be easier to use, i mean sure the shotgun would be better at distance, but we're talking about "just in case" here. ever dozed off in the tree stand?

EDIT: i'm going for deer, not bear. despite having a bear tag, i have no desire to eat a bear and therefore won't hunt for them.
    Last edited by Ming Loyalist; 8/04/2017 1:25pm at .
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    well this is the southern half of NY state so using a high powered rifle to hunt is STRENG VERBOTEN! (achtung!)

i'll have a 12 gauge shotgun set up for slugs, the idea is if a bear were to get close enough to me (climbing the tree) the pistol would be easier to use, i mean sure the shotgun would be better at distance, but we're talking about "just in case" here. ever dozed off in the tree stand?

EDIT: i'm going for deer, not bear. despite having a bear tag, i have no desire to eat a bear and therefore won't hunt for them.
    That will work. I guess you've seen the utoobz videos of bears climbing up to tree stands.

Shoot the bear and make smokies out of it. They are delicious. Or is bear not kosher?

Even better, shoot the bear, make smokies, have the pelt tanned and hang it up in your apartment. Will make a great conversation piece for any guests...while they exclaim over how delicious the sausages are !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    That will work. I guess you've seen the utoobz videos of bears climbing up to tree stands.
    yeah, seen a few, and recently saw that 2 people were killed by black bears in alaska, which really goes against the whole "black bears are more scared of you" thing. i know it's really unlikely to happen but having a pistol in a chest harness seems like some easy insurance, plus it's pretty much the only time i can carry a loaded gun (outside of my home or the range) so there's the weird desire to do so (see what happens when you live under a fascist regime!?!)

Shoot the bear and make smokies out of it. They are delicious. Or is bear not kosher?

Even better, shoot the bear, make smokies, have the pelt tanned and hang it up in your apartment. Will make a great conversation piece for any guests...while they exclaim over how delicious the sausages are !
    i've never eaten bear, and if i do ever have to shoot one, i'll definitely eat it, but i agree with something joe rogan said when talking to steve rinella on his podcast (not finding it easily so i'll paraphrase) in that i have a certain amount of respect for bears as alpha predators and i'd really rather not kill one.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bear and water buffalo repellent.

Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    maybe my .45 isn't gonna cut it :(

http://www.bear-hunting.com/2017/7/4...l-july-15-2017

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that's a grizzly though, but yeah.... ++p penetraters wouldn't hurt or a ruger super redhawk loaded with some hot ****.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, seen a few, and recently saw that 2 people were killed by black bears in alaska, which really goes against the whole "black bears are more scared of you" thing. i know it's really unlikely to happen but having a pistol in a chest harness seems like some easy insurance, plus it's pretty much the only time i can carry a loaded gun (outside of my home or the range) so there's the weird desire to do so (see what happens when you live under a fascist regime!?!)

i've never eaten bear, and if i do ever have to shoot one, i'll definitely eat it, but i agree with something joe rogan said when talking to steve rinella on his podcast (not finding it easily so i'll paraphrase) in that i have a certain amount of respect for bears as alpha predators and i'd really rather not kill one.
    Black bears will kill you dead. We had a couple of this summer over at Priest Lake. Nobody died, fortunately.

My ex and our kids went to Alaska this summer for 10 days. I saw the reports of the bear attacks, and reminded her to buy bear spray for everybody, which she did.

Anybody who thinks black bears are more scared of humans than vice versa, well, doesn't respect "alpha predators" very much. Maybe sometimes, but it's not a bet I'd take.

Props for exercising your rights when allowed by the State of New York.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You will want to load it with something that will penetrate deeply for black bears, which is all you have to worry about on the east coast. Although they do get pretty damned big over there.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post

Bear and water buffalo repellent.
    That scope is going to hurt going in for sure. Keep the whole thing well lubricated...

Besides, all you need is a compact 9mm loaded with these...
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=388

Or get some of their similar loads for .45 ACP.
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=161

However, you should carry some anti-bear spray if you are really worried about it. It doubles as anti-human spray as well.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny thing is, I've never seen a bear around here when bear hunting. Just hiking around, yeah, once or twice I've run into them. All black bears, no griz, but I've seen fresh griz tracks more than once...

Back to bare-handed bruin fighting: Prepare to get chewed up. Even a small black bear is stronger than Rayce, and that's saying something...

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last