Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    BJJ

Strength and weight: How an untrained 42 year old allegedly choked out a purple belt

Just a quick goofy thing I read on Reddit today.

Apparently an untrained and out of shape 42 year old software developer went to an introductory BJJ class where upon he took issue with the instructor saying "that strength and weight don't matter against technique".

Now this is an old debate that we all know the answer to: of course strength and weight help, skill can only get you so far (a skinny 5'3" vegetarian dude from New Jersey could train his whole life but still get eaten alive by Jake the Snake and his violating moustache).

Now our hero took exception to this understandably, he's a big guy at 205lbs (obvs the kind of intense muscle you can only get from long hours of programming and eating Findus 'Beef' Lasagne), and so he rightly challenges the instructor and then: "very slowly and carefully, and with a friendly smile, chocked him with his own gi".

Holy ****, I knew weight mattered in a fight but I didn't think an unexperienced gimp could choke out a Purple belt just because he was a fat fucker!

Forget training this week, I'm gonna shack myself up with several dozen pastries for a few days and see if I can't follow in my heros example. I'll be getting gold at ADCC before I know it, watch your back Claudio Calasans!

Anyway back to the story: "He obviously didn't want to tap out and started thrashing around. When the main instructor came and stopped it, my opponent said I was too agressive. My wife was blue belt and tapping out purple belts (different gym), when she quit because of BS going on in this scene."

Our hero finishes with quite the damning verdict on the art:"bjj is a game. A dangerous one, with lots of injuries, but does not really prepare for real life situations, due to 1-on-1 nature and lots of restrictions embedded in muscle memory to prevent injury to opponent. The real world is opposite."

Now I've been a lurker on this site for a long ass time so I've heard some shitty attacks on BJJ, but "restrictions embedded in muscle memory" might be the wackiest I've ever heard.

Now obviously our hero chooses the martial art fit only for a man of his intellectual prowess:

"I am personally partial for Russian Systema, use one inch punches to break wood, and no artificial sport restrictions BS"

What an argument, I might just be sold on this "Russian Systema"!

In all honesty the guy might just be fucking with everyone but deep down I want to believe he really thinks all this ****.

And bonus fact: apparently in his concealed carry bag he carries a portable toilet in case he gets stuck in traffic too long!

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EDC/comment...7z&sh=bfe3425c

Conceal carry bag: https://www.reddit.com/r/bugout/comm...g2&sh=c1a7363f
    Last edited by liquid engineer; 7/23/2017 11:22am at . Reason: Spelling

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by liquid engineer View Post

Apparently an untrained and out of shape 42 year old software developer went to an introductory BJJ class where upon he took issue with the instructor saying "that strength and weight don't matter against technique".

Now this is an old debate that we all know the answer to: of course strength and weight help, skill can only get you so far (a skinny 5'3" vegetarian dude from New Jersey could train his whole life but still get eaten alive by Jake the Snake and his violating moustache).

Now our hero took exception to this understandably, he's a big guy at 205lbs (obvs the kind of intense muscle you can only get from long hours of programming and eating Findus 'Beef' Lasagne), and so he rightly challenges the instructor and then: "very slowly and carefully, and with a friendly smile, chocked him with his own gi".

Holy ****, I knew weight mattered in a fight but I didn't think an unexperienced gimp could choke out a Purple belt just because he was a fat fucker!

Forget training this week, I'm gonna shack myself up with several dozen pastries for a few days and see if I can't follow in my heros example. I'll be getting gold at ADCC before I know it, watch your back Claudio Calasans!

Anyway back to the story: "He obviously didn't want to tap out and started thrashing around. When the main instructor came and stopped it, my opponent said I was too agressive. My wife was blue belt and tapping out purple belts (different gym), when she quit because of BS going on in this scene."

Our hero finishes with quite the damning verdict on the art:"bjj is a game. A dangerous one, with lots of injuries, but does not really prepare for real life situations, due to 1-on-1 nature and lots of restrictions embedded in muscle memory to prevent injury to opponent. The real world is opposite."

Now I've been a lurker on this site for a long ass time so I've heard some shitty attacks on BJJ, but "restrictions embedded in muscle memory" might be the wackiest I've ever heard.

Now obviously our hero chooses the martial art fit only for a man of his intellectual prowess:

"I am personally partial for Russian Systema, use one inch punches to break wood, and no artificial sport restrictions BS"

In all honesty the guy might just be fucking with everyone but deep down I want to believe he really thinks all this ****.

And bonus fact: apparently in his concealed carry bag he carries a portable toilet in case he gets stuck in traffic too long!

He's a fucking idiot and full of ****.
    Tell him to go to Balance Studios and prove it. I will see if i can get the video on the mat cameras if he does and post it.
    Either way I could get to verify his claim via trusted sources.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Today, on "Things that Never Happened!"
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Judo
    Quote Originally Posted by liquid engineer View Post

I am saddened to say that it is very likely survival dude is genuine in his thinking.

Unfortunately, I know a few fuckwads like him, so I will testify to their existence firsthand.

I used to get unsettled by people who would spew forth bullshit like this. As I have gotten older I have learned that it is more fun to ridicule them before ignoring them and moving on.

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    Well it's on Reddit so it must be true.

If only Reddit had throwdowns
    King without a crown

Style
    Judo
    He posted in EDC, which is full of karma farming tactical fatasses.

The reddit BJJ and Judo communities are pretty good. So is their firearms subreddit.

Overall though, I stopped posting in a lot of subreddits. For a while it was fun to take the piss out of them, but then that got old. I just ignore them now.

/r/mallninjashit is pretty cool though. Where else will you find legit SEAL team Delta stuff like this

https://www.reddit.com/r/mallninjash...for_when_your/
    Last edited by omoplatypus; 7/23/2017 2:00pm at .

Style
    Muay Thai
    This reminds me of a video I saw a while back
    https://www.facebook.com/Superliftin...0054738034985/
    Big fat dude manhandles a small grappler. Of course, we don't know what level the small guy is, or anything about the gym, or even what style of grappling it was, so I'm not trying to suggest this means anything, but I thought it was relevant

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    I won't discount it as impossible, especially if there's a huge size difference. It's possible, and embarrassing for the purple belt if it happened. **** happens. But it's irrelevant. Skill is about having the ability to consistently win. If he rolls with that purple belt a hundred more times, he'll lose every time.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    Funny enough, I just found an old submission grappling match where Vitor Belfort loses to a powerlifter.
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last