Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing Chun fighter wins gong sau against someone half his size

The WC world must be rejoicing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbL3Loi6IU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_HRwJ6KL-Y

I feel bad for the older, smaller guy. He landed a couple solid kicks, but did not have enough power with the jumpy lead lunge sidekick. But it is fun seeing how in the wild scramble at a corner he instinctively went to grab for the legs in a sloppy takedown attempt.

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, of course, everyone knows that if you want to face the toughest fighters in the world, karate or otherwise, you best head to Vietnam....

This guy, Francois Flores, seems to have several videos of his challenges floating around YouTube. Haven't watched many, but I have yet to find one that doesn't involve him mixing it up with an older, Asian man that is about half his size.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ksennin View Post
    The WC world must be rejoicing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbL3Loi6IU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_HRwJ6KL-Y

I feel bad for the older, smaller guy. He landed a couple solid kicks, but did not have enough power with the jumpy lead lunge sidekick. But it is fun seeing how in the wild scramble at a corner he instinctively went to grab for the legs in a sloppy takedown attempt.
    To be honest the Wing Chun guy also isn't really a monster of athleticness.

But, is this The Real Wing Chun?
    It looks like karate or basically whatever other striking marial art excluded for the weird hand movements, that however disappear when he gets in range. He even keeps a fairly sideway stance, that I tought was a no-no in Wing Chun?
    I also tought that WC kicks were straight kicks, not roundhouses?
    I also see some rather high kicks.
    I see some tipically chunnish anti-grappling at 6:25 of the first video, but that's it.

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyGoblin View Post
    Well, of course, everyone knows that if you want to face the toughest fighters in the world, karate or otherwise, you best head to Vietnam....
    Wasnt karate the secret weapon of the VietCong?

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    To be honest the Wing Chun guy also isn't really a monster of athleticness.

But, is this The Real Wing Chun?
    It looks like karate or basically whatever other striking marial art excluded for the weird hand movements, that however disappear when he gets in range. He even keeps a fairly sideway stance, that I tought was a no-no in Wing Chun?
    I also tought that WC kicks were straight kicks, not roundhouses?
    I also see some rather high kicks.
    I see some tipically chunnish anti-grappling at 6:25 of the first video, but that's it.
    The older guy looked to be in much better shape. I wish I was that fit! He did not seem to punch at the face, however. When they closed in, it all became a crappy clinch and useless flailing.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyGoblin View Post

This guy, Francois Flores, seems to have several videos of his challenges floating around YouTube. Haven't watched many, but I have yet to find one that doesn't involve him mixing it up with an older, Asian man that is about half his size.
    I just watched a bunch ... he plays respectful real well. I mean he is traveling around beating down little older asian fellows.
    I seriously think any anxiety any of us have is mainly jealousy. How often have the collective you dreamed of doing the same thing with whatever your chosen combat sport or martial art is.

I admit it. I am jealous and reaaaaaaaalllll pissed off that a Chunner is getting to do it... logistically it is the only way to do it. No WC or Kung Fu master is going to be like ... "yeah sure I accept your challenge" to a BJJ brown belt who isn't going to slap his feet on the tile or clap his hands for dramatic effect and play along with the nonsense as it works.

I about died laughing when one of the little dudes started a really nice sprawl but then fucked it up by keeping his feet too close together.

I never realized WC had head height roundhouse kicks, thai clinches and so many hooks.
    huh.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I just watched a bunch ... he plays respectful real well. I mean he is traveling around beating down little older asian fellows.
    I seriously think any anxiety any of us have is mainly jealousy. How often have the collective you dreamed of doing the same thing
    It did not always work out that well for Doug and Jimmy in FIGHT QUEST. They generally managed to find some big locals to put against them. Except for the WC guys, IIRC.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In one video, he goes against a "Mr. Tuan", who looks younger, in better shape, and is not smaller. Did not go nearly as well for Flores...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    In one video, he goes against a "Mr. Tuan", who looks younger, in better shape, and is not smaller. Did not go nearly as well for Flores...
    Yeah, Tuan handed him his *ss. Dropped him twice.

Style
    what style?
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    the technique that Mr Flores lost too; involved grabbing him by the shirt with one and straight punches to the face with the other... hockey wins again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last