Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Marvel's scripting of Odin was completely off.
    Anthony Hopkins did a fine job as an actor.
    But Marvel's Odin behaves more like Tyr than Odin.
    Odin enjoyed blood letting above all things, cared little about justice, and craved that kings be sacrificed to him.
    Odin also only spoke in rhyme or song.
    As a comic book movie, it was well done.
    But Odin is more interesting as the bizarre figure of the real mythology as drawn from the surviving early epic poems about him than the wise and restrained king than the comic book movies portrayed him as.
    The real Odin would have slaughtered the Frost Giants, Slaightered the dark elves, encouraged the humans to slaughter each other, sang sings to encourage the carnage, and drank wine the entire time, when he was not hacking and slaughtering in a mad, murderous ecstasy, or engaging in bizarre rituals of self-sacrifice to increase his own shamanic power.
    Týr was the original father of the gods. The switch to Odin began around the time of the great viking migration. Týr's ruin is the same as for the word god.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    You guys know way too fucking much about Norse mythology.

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Quote Originally Posted by lant3rn View Post
    Iron Fist sucked ass, this (sadly) most likely will too.
    Iron Fist was not as good as the other Marvel shows, it didn't suck though. It was better than the first season of Arrow. The fight choreography does need a bit of work for sure.

Style
    Judo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    Iron Fist was not as good as the other Marvel shows, it didn't suck though. It was better than the first season of Arrow. The fight choreography does need a bit of work for sure.
    The IF graphic novels are better than the show imo. I guess I just prefer to read than binge watch the latest Netflix crap. It's starting to turn me off in general.

I don't know about you but I'm saturated and sick of superheroes on TV and the movies...there are just too many and quality seems to be dropping. I've seen 3 generations of Spider Man in just the last decade and already I'm like "enough already". The 10 year old me would think the modern me was insane for not wanting endless new Spiderman films.

Wonder Woman was great because the character is awesome and the actress was right. But there are a lot of these hit or misses now and I think it just brings the whole genre down.

There's a lot of other scifi and fantasy to explore or even reboot but the studios are so hooked on getting hundreds of millions on superhero flicks, they aren't taking chances elsewhere...Robotech??? RIFTS???? D&D??? BattleTech???? So many great licenses and nobody's doing **** with those...it's all about finding the latest forgotten superhero and trying to hit the jackpot.

That's my concern I guess...there are a lot of superheroes they should not make shows/movies about...but they will.

Iron fist had potential. It would have been nice if they had at least cast the main character with someone who had decent martial arts experience. I think though the show did lose some wind from it's sails by the stupid ass "he should have been asian" crowd. No what he should have been was a martial artist.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    "he should have been asian" crowd. No what he should have been was a martial artist.
    We all know that its one and the same duh......
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Quote Originally Posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
    The IF graphic novels are better than the show imo. I guess I just prefer to read than binge watch the latest Netflix crap. It's starting to turn me off in general.

I don't know about you but I'm saturated and sick of superheroes on TV and the movies...there are just too many and quality seems to be dropping. I've seen 3 generations of Spider Man in just the last decade and already I'm like "enough already". The 10 year old me would think the modern me was insane for not wanting endless new Spiderman films.

Wonder Woman was great because the character is awesome and the actress was right. But there are a lot of these hit or misses now and I think it just brings the whole genre down.

There's a lot of other scifi and fantasy to explore or even reboot but the studios are so hooked on getting hundreds of millions on superhero flicks, they aren't taking chances elsewhere...Robotech??? RIFTS???? D&D??? BattleTech???? So many great licenses and nobody's doing **** with those...it's all about finding the latest forgotten superhero and trying to hit the jackpot.

That's my concern I guess...there are a lot of superheroes they should not make shows/movies about...but they will.
    For sure the graphic novels and comics are better thus far. Especially that recent run with the tournament for fighters from different worlds.

I'd like to see a real attempt at bringing the Robotech, Battletech, and Warhammer 40k universes to a big screen. I'd also like a less half -assed version of Wing Commander. Maybe continue the Ender series? Xenocide and Speaker for the Dead would make fascinating movies.

I don't think I will ever get sick of superhero movies, as long as they keep telling interesting stories.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    For sure the graphic novels and comics are better thus far. Especially that recent run with the tournament for fighters from different worlds.

I'd like to see a real attempt at bringing the Robotech, Battletech, and Warhammer 40k universes to a big screen. I'd also like a less half -assed version of Wing Commander. Maybe continue the Ender series? Xenocide and Speaker for the Dead would make fascinating movies.

I don't think I will ever get sick of superhero movies, as long as they keep telling interesting stories.
    I think for Battletech I would be much more interested in a high budget mini-series than a movie. 2 hours time really isn't enough to tell a good story in that universe.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Judo
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I think for Battletech I would be much more interested in a high budget mini-series than a movie. 2 hours time really isn't enough to tell a good story in that universe.
    An epic cable series would make a lot of sense, with movie tie ins like the did with Sex and the City and the X-Files.

It would basically be Game of Thrones in space. A lot of GOT elements have BT counterparts, e.g. Comstar, the Clans, the major Houses and their rivalries..

There would be lots of minor storylines and character development and then a major campaign could fill a 2-3 hour film.

Alas, somebody has to care enough to make it happen and here we are three decades later.

There's a new BT turn-based game coming out soon...I've been waiting to get into the beta.

Style
    xingyi
    Oh it sucked. It's been awhile since I've seen ham fisted foreshadowing that bad in a modern TV Show.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last