Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Style
    Siling Labuyo Arnis
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I'll be trying it out at the Canadian Gathering in two weeks, and I'll let you know how well it worked for me.
    And? It worked extremely well - I was able to avoid taking some big hits, while still being in a good position to enter and deal out some hits of my own.

Style
    Judo
    I'm 6'4 and when I was training Muay Thai with an MMA gym, I weighed 220 at around 15% body fat.

The littler guys worked my gut and thighs. They also waited for my right cross where I was open for solid jabs.

I have really bad vision and I'm a horrible striker, so that helped them too.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Corzer View Post
    I've been training in Muay Thai for a good year and a half now, and one problem I've always come across is that literally everyone in my gym is either 6'4 or weighs over 120kg (270 lbs) and i simply cant reach them, or get out-muscled in a clinch, i'm 5'11 and around 63kg (138 lbs). Do i need to improve my footwork to get on the inside, or perhaps work on my setups for techniques? Hoping not to get my soul destroyed on my first post, but any answer would be much appreciated.
    You can make things complex if you want (and its not wrong) I just find it to be too..... complex ;p

What you're finding out is that strength and size translate to power (to state the obvious). Now you've only been training for a year and a half so your problems are perfectly normal. No one has enough training in that period of time to overcome people twice their size (technically 3x your size...). Getting to that skill level is something that people spend a lifetime trying to achieve and that doesn't always mean they're successful at it either.

Ok, so on to "How to beat a bigger guy"

The same way you beat a smaller guy or a medium guy.

So to reiterate, think simply. Muay thai is muay thai. You don't need to throw a kick or a punch differently based on your opponents size or lack of. What your opponents size (or lack of) does is require you to be more perfect with the technique you do apply.

Consider, you compete in a weight class so as to even that variable out as much as possible. If you're able to hit your opponent more than he hits you (assuming the same power) usually you win. If someone is bigger they don't have to hit you as much to do the equivalent of damage that you would. Since hes got to hit you much less you've got to be more perfect and not get hit as much. Techniques don't really change.

If you can watch your coach when he spars with the same guys. Assuming hes skilled (and smaller) you'll see what I mean. He'll still throw a cross, a jab, a cut kick- all the same ****- and he'll block the same way. Its just the efficiency with which he does it.

I don't like to say "Do X" to beat heavier opponents because this assumes all big guys fight the same way and they simply don't. How you fight is strategy, but what you fight with would be technique and as I said it doesn't change. So the answer to your final two questions is "Yes." These are viable strategies against anyone regardless of size, but since they're bigger than you- you'll notice the skill needs to be much more refined in order for you to win. I hope that makes sense and isn't too confusing...

tl;dr just trane moar and it'll come

Style
    Super Street Fighting
    You're in luck! An expert in this very field has arrived! Just kidding! (sorta)

The short answer: Unless you are a highly athletic, strong and fast fighter with elite skills... you lose. (See Mike Zambidis).

The long answer: Develop power both in your legs and strikes. You need to be able to spring in and out of range at will, without tiring, for the entire round. Every hit that lands is important, so they must be powerful. Learning your own range and cutting angles is very important.

There's also comfort in the knowledge that being small, but skilled, in the gym means against an untrained opponent you should fare very well. Be confident in that, at least. I am 5'5", 145 lbs and I just fought a guy in an unsanctioned Streetbeefs fight who was 5'10" and 200 lbs. Liver shots took his will from him and won the fight.

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls
    Style
    Boxing, Goju ryu, BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Icy Mike View Post
    You're in luck! An expert in this very field has arrived! Just kidding! (sorta)

The short answer: Unless you are a highly athletic, strong and fast fighter with elite skills... you lose. (See Mike Zambidis).

The long answer: Develop power both in your legs and strikes. You need to be able to spring in and out of range at will, without tiring, for the entire round. Every hit that lands is important, so they must be powerful. Learning your own range and cutting angles is very important.

There's also comfort in the knowledge that being small, but skilled, in the gym means against an untrained opponent you should fare very well. Be confident in that, at least. I am 5'5", 145 lbs and I just fought a guy in an unsanctioned Streetbeefs fight who was 5'10" and 200 lbs. Liver shots took his will from him and won the fight.
    Was this man a ninja by any chance?

Style
    Super Street Fighting
    Quote Originally Posted by SpamN'Cheese View Post
    Was this man a ninja by any chance?
    Ha, no. I wouldn't use that fight to illustrate much of anything. I'm talking about the fight with Cory Guns... which was infinitely better with more takeaways.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/MT
    Cory really wanted that Americana in round one. If he really knew how to execute it, he probably would have got you. The size advantage was very clear.

What was also very clear, and maybe because he spent so much energy on a sub that you weren't going to let him have, is that he was basically gassed going in to round 2.

Also, LOL at the chick screaming "yes, Cory, yes," as you're taking his back.

Style
    Super Street Fighting
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Cory really wanted that Americana in round one. If he really knew how to execute it, he probably would have got you. The size advantage was very clear.

What was also very clear, and maybe because he spent so much energy on a sub that you weren't going to let him have, is that he was basically gassed going in to round 2.

Also, LOL at the chick screaming "yes, Cory, yes," as you're taking his back.
    They were yelling all kinds of **** that had me confused. His corner yelled "NICE!" when I landed the first big leg kick. I think that's why I flinched... I thought something was happening. Then his people started telling him how good he was doing when I started boxing... I was so lost.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Icy Mike View Post
    They were yelling all kinds of **** that had me confused. His corner yelled "NICE!" when I landed the first big leg kick. I think that's why I flinched... I thought something was happening. Then his people started telling him how good he was doing when I started boxing... I was so lost.
    ... I figured those were your people and they were just being supportive and good sportsmans when they were cheering for him. Once he couldn't get that Americona I could see your entire game change. Is that when you realized you had a technical advantage? You seemed kinda unsure and hesitant before that moment and weren't really putting forth a game plan.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

Style
    Super Street Fighting
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    ... I figured those were your people and they were just being supportive and good sportsmans when they were cheering for him. Once he couldn't get that Americona I could see your entire game change. Is that when you realized you had a technical advantage? You seemed kinda unsure and hesitant before that moment and weren't really putting forth a game plan.
    One thing that was very different was trying to maintain range in the dark. Every other nighttime fight or use of force I have been involved in was centered around pushing to the clinch for a takedown. Obviously I didn't want to do that with this guy. Also, I was expecting the shot early and often. It never really came. My whole game was to defend the takedowns and punish the attempts, and I had decided not to throw any kicks the first round until some of his gas was gone. So you're right, for the first round I was a little lost. He was kicking me and being patient and ****... it blew my mind. The takedown was because I got complacent in the standing clinch, which I like, and since he wasn't changing levels I left my leg out there. When he grabbed it his grip was really strong and I had no traction to try and defend. I didn't want to get slammed so I kinda found my way to the ground.

What made me finally it on was when the very first liver shot landed and I saw everything drain out of him. From there on out it was pretty much punches and kicks for free. He didn't like the dirty boxing either and by the time he finally did shoot in the 3rd he had nothing left.

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last