Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Opening a new MMA School

Hey everyone
    I really enjoyed this website!

I have to say that the forum is very much bullshido attitude but it is okay since a lot of fakes are all around

anyway my name is Nathan, USSR Born grew up in Israel, residing in South Florida
    Karate, Judo, Jujitsu was my childhood experiences while growing up
    13 to 15 boxing
    15 until 26 is some BJJ/Wrestling and a lot of striking from all types of Kickboxing and Muay Thai...
    Lets just say MMA

off course as an Israeli I also know Krav Maga it is very simple and very common for us

I wanted to ask you guys over here in the U.S. how do you real (i hope) martial artists and other people in the US look at Krav Maga...
    Is it marketable? is MMA more popular? I guess it is!

I am very Muay Thai & MMA oriented instructor for adults and Grappling for kids but I teach everything to everyone!
    I would love and be happy to hear of ideas from you guys for my dojo...!!

I am thinking of using arm bands instead of belts
    and only using the belt system for BJJ and for little kids

I am also thinking of using some cool design for GIs for the kids even though I do not like the idea so much
    camo suits?

Hoping for some nice ideas!

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Combat Sports -------------> YMAS
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

Thanks and sorry for posting in the wrong section
    I was trying to figure it out
    Thanks

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan91 View Post
    I wanted to ask you guys over here in the U.S. how do you real (i hope) martial artists and other people in the US look at Krav Maga...
    The reputation of US KM is pretty poor on this forum. It is generally taught without any hard contact training, so it becomes a laundry list of scripted moves, like "poke him in the eye, and he will grab his face instinctively, then you can knee him in the groin, which will make him bend over, so you can blablabla"

That said, one of our more respected members teaches self-defense oriented MMA under the KM banner, so nothing is absolute.

Is it marketable?
    Very. It's popular with film choreographers, so it has a lot of name recognition, between that and its military origins, it's easy to sell to people who want to be formidable without doing any work. that said, you could certainly teach it in a more realistic fashion to those that want to hone their other arts for self-defensive scenarios. There's really no reason but greed and laziness for KM to be as bad as it is in the US.

is MMA more popular? I guess it is!
    Probably? I don't know where accurate numbers would be found. You might want to take a long look at your area. If there's already a bunch of gyms with good competition records, it's going to be hard to peel away serious people to train with you.

Fair enough, a lot of people eschew belts.

I am also thinking of using some cool design for GIs for the kids even though I do not like the idea so much
    camo suits?
    I have no idea how to market to children.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    all things in Moderation
    anyway my name is Nathan,
    Hey Nathan.
    USSR Born grew up in Israel, residing in South Florida
    Welcome to the forum and to the States
    Karate, Judo, Jujitsu was my childhood experiences while growing up
    13 to 15 boxing
    15 until 26 is some BJJ/Wrestling and a lot of striking from all types of Kickboxing and Muay Thai...
    Lets just say MMA
    Well the first thing you need to get in order is your product.
    As of yet, you don't have one. What exactly are you selling?
    off course as an Israeli I also know Krav Maga it is very simple and very common for us
    yeah ... not helping your not having a product situation.

Is it marketable? is MMA more popular? I guess it is!

I am very Muay Thai & MMA oriented instructor for adults and Grappling for kids but I teach everything to everyone!
    I would love and be happy to hear of ideas from you guys for my dojo...!!

camo suits?

Let me be reaaaaaaal clear.
    WTF are you selling?
    What is your product?
    Why is your product unique?
    What are your qualifications to teach the product?
    Where has your product filled a need?
    What history does your product have?
    What is the life cycle of your product?

Sounds to me like you are trying to build your product out of gimmicks and what is hot. I am trying to actually help you out here, the words seem harsh but it is literally what I see when I look at your post, as someone in Marketing.

You are basically telling me you want to let the marketing department run the company. Which I guess is fine if you are an employee owned Marketing Firm.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Hey Nathan.

Welcome to the forum and to the States

Well the first thing you need to get in order is your product.
    As of yet, you don't have one. What exactly are you selling?

yeah ... not helping your not having a product situation.

Let me be reaaaaaaal clear.
    WTF are you selling?
    What is your product?
    Why is your product unique?
    What are your qualifications to teach the product?
    Where has your product filled a need?
    What history does your product have?
    What is the life cycle of your product?

Sounds to me like you are trying to build your product out of gimmicks and what is hot. I am trying to actually help you out here, the words seem harsh but it is literally what I see when I look at your post, as someone in Marketing.

You are basically telling me you want to let the marketing department run the company. Which I guess is fine if you are an employee owned Marketing Firm.
    Thank you for your reply
    I am sorry if I was not clear enough
    I went to college for sports and education and I am certified as:
    Fitness & Health Instructor (Including Minors and Fitness Centers)
    Toddler Gymnastics & Preschool Movement Instructor
    Personal Trainer & Sportstheraphy and Medical Massage Theraphy (Which is known in the US as Athletic Trainer)
    Mixed Martial Arts Instructor (Including Fitness Programs for Martial Arts)
    Krav Maga is very easy to learn and teach and that is a fact
    fits perfectly to some lazy individuals which are probably going to be my clients since some parents are too lazy to be dealing with their kids at the after school/kindergarten/preschool hours!
    Plus I just want you guys to know that all these posts about Krav Maga here that it is this and that are partially true which means yes it is very depending on the instructor's background and if it is military or not... and I am saying that since my own coach and my own friends and me myself were proposed to run the Krav Maga program in the Israeli institute which basically gives KM instructors their certificates even in the army.
    Very important to notice that I also have experience and I had my own Gymnastics studio in Israel and my own Muay Thai Gym in Israel!

PRODUCT: Classes for kids with an option for parents to workout in a fitness/martial arts facility!

I am trying to integrate MMA & Krav Maga
    will it look bad?
    BJJ with belts and the rest is arm bands...?
    I imagine people do not know what MMA means
    maybe writing Mixed Martial Arts everywhere would be nice?
    I know Americans like protective gear, maybe it is a bad thing and maybe I should just call it Karate? or Kickboxing?
    my frustration.... =.=''

Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    The reputation of US KM is pretty poor on this forum. It is generally taught without any hard contact training, so it becomes a laundry list of scripted moves, like "poke him in the eye, and he will grab his face instinctively, then you can knee him in the groin, which will make him bend over, so you can blablabla"

That said, one of our more respected members teaches self-defense oriented MMA under the KM banner, so nothing is absolute.

Very. It's popular with film choreographers, so it has a lot of name recognition, between that and its military origins, it's easy to sell to people who want to be formidable without doing any work. that said, you could certainly teach it in a more realistic fashion to those that want to hone their other arts for self-defensive scenarios. There's really no reason but greed and laziness for KM to be as bad as it is in the US.

Probably? I don't know where accurate numbers would be found. You might want to take a long look at your area. If there's already a bunch of gyms with good competition records, it's going to be hard to peel away serious people to train with you.

Fair enough, a lot of people eschew belts.

I have no idea how to market to children.
    I do not really care about competitive gyms... there is no money in it not in teaching and not in competitions... maybe I will have some kids competing in kickboxing or bjj since mma is illegal in the US for minors but that's the extent
    my experience led me to understand that MMA is dangerous and should be rewarded with a crazy amount of money... the history of injuries is just terrifying and I had some I will never be able to coach someone into maybe getting hurt so bad
    I am into Muay Thai competitions with maximum gear on! I have no idea how I never broke my shins as a child, I guess I was just lucky
    Last edited by nathan91; 7/02/2017 11:22pm at .

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu

Unless you're a Bjj Black Belt, who gives a **** what you think about Bjj Belts. If you give them out you will be a fraud.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Thank you for your reply
    Personal Trainer & Sportstheraphy and Medical Massage Theraphy (Which is known in the US as Athletic Trainer)
    fits perfectly to some lazy individuals which are probably going to be my clients since some parents are too lazy to be dealing with their kids at the after school/kindergarten/preschool hours!
    Plus I just want you guys to know that all these posts about Krav Maga here that it is this and that are partially true which means yes it is very depending on the instructor's background and if it is military or not... and I am saying that since my own coach and my own friends and me myself were proposed to run the Krav Maga program in the Israeli institute which basically gives KM instructors their certificates even in the army.
    Very important to notice that I also have experience and I had my own Gymnastics studio in Israel and my own Muay Thai Gym in Israel!

PRODUCT: Classes for kids with an option for parents to workout in a fitness/martial arts facility!

will it look bad?
    I know Americans like protective gear, maybe it is a bad thing and maybe I should just call it Karate? or Kickboxing?
    my frustration.... =.=''

I do not really care about competitive gyms... there is no money in it not in teaching and not in competitions... maybe I will have some kids competing in kickboxing or bjj since mma is illegal in the US for minors but that's the extent
    my experience led me to understand that MMA is dangerous and should be rewarded with a crazy amount of money... the history of injuries is just terrifying and I had some I will never be able to coach someone into maybe getting hurt so bad
    I am into Muay Thai competitions with maximum gear on! I have no idea how I never broke my shins as a child, I guess I was just lucky
    1.Military Krav sucks.

2.Minors can fight mma in the USA.

3. You say tons of dumb wrong ****.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Thank you for your reply

will it look bad?
    my frustration.... =.=''

So you have Zero qualifications to teach BJJ or any other art besides Krav but you have taught Muay Thai and want to teach BJJ to kids?
    I know you mentioned something about being certified to MMA but not by who... and you have mentioned no competition record so that becomes even more important.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    Hold up, MMA is too dangerous but BJJ and Muay Thai is okay?

Guess what BJJ and Muay Thai is combined...

There's noting horrific about the injuries in MMA, nothing worse than what you find in boxing or wrestling or any other combat sport. Stick to the Krav safe zone.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last