Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    MMA, Grappling

Odd Fees at Gyms

Hey guys!

Today I had a disappointing experience at a New Mexico gym I've previously dropped in at. I thought I'd get the take of other bullies and maybe some similar tales?

I came in today with my great all ready, prepared to pay a drop in fee and buy some new shinguards, as I've worn my hot pink babies out. What I didn't expect was them wanting a $50 (or $99 with some gear) fee to "sign up" for a gym I don't know I'll ever come back to, much less when. This I'd in addition to a standard drop in rate of $15, which of totally fair. I've never been asked for such a thing, and was unable to negotiate even after explaining my position. This is not an especially full or high level gym either, so I really don't get it. Instead, I'll be spending my money at a more reasonable gym with similar facilities, and frankly, higher level grappling instruction.

Anyone ever face similar, or other odd fees at a place you just want to droo in at? Am I off base here?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Oh, that's a load of ****.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    They can go **** themselves. Much like my old MT gym that no longer even allows drop-ins beyond a free trial class. Or even month to month payment. Or allow you to train more than 3x a week if you aren't on the "fight team." For $190/month. **** those guys.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    There's a local kung fu school with a subscription fee to access video lessons online for the student's current rank.

Style
    Judo
    There's no way I would pay for online Kung Fu content, as long as Master Wong is still on YouTube.

Style
    Muay Thai
    I've seen this a few times, generally in shitty schools, like the Hapkido one I almost joined

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Lol glad I'm not crazy, I thought it was some bullshit.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    There's a local kung fu school with a subscription fee to access video lessons online for the student's current rank.
    white dragon kung fu?
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    They can go **** themselves. Much like my old MT gym that no longer even allows drop-ins beyond a free trial class. Or even month to month payment. Or allow you to train more than 3x a week if you aren't on the "fight team." For $190/month. **** those guys.
    That's pretty ridiculous. If we have money fit a drop in, and they have room to allow more students, that should be the end of the transaction.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    white dragon kung fu?
    Yep, my cousin teaches there, and whenever I ask her about the place at family get togethers, I cringe to myself.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last