Style
    MMA/wrestling

Mental Health in MMA Sports (Or any, for that matter)

this is sort of a weird post from me, since i dont really ever get emotional or anything over this stuff. but this one hit sort of home to me.

What do u think about the importance/prominence of mental health in the world of MMA today? I think its super important, id treat that **** like it were my physical health. if your mind isnt right, youre not ready for the fight.

i ask this bc i just picked my girl up from her gym where she trains kickboxing, and she revealed that one of the guys in her class has been suffering from depression and just cant perform well anymore. it just hit here how important it is to take care of mental health. and when i asked her why she didnt have that kind of problem, she gave me the strongest "i go through stuff like that too...i'm just confident enough to get over it."

We had a pretty quiet ride back home, and she still hasnt texted me back..i'm a little pissed that she didnt tell me about her personal problems, but at the same time im glad shes not in that guy's shoes...

So what do u think guys? leave your thoughts below!

P.S. I think i'm in the doghouse now lol

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    It goes deeper than just your normal everyday needs for mental health, their is a whole branch of psychology devoted to Sport psychology.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_psychology

MMA fighters like anyone else that needs help should seek help.

This is a troubling mindset a lot of people fall into:
    ..i'm just confident enough to get over it."
    This sort of undermines what clinical mental health issues vs just feeling a little blue.

Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    MMA/wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    It goes deeper than just your normal everyday needs for mental health, their is a whole branch of psychology devoted to Sport psychology.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_psychology

MMA fighters like anyone else that needs help should seek help.

This is a troubling mindset a lot of people fall into:

This sort of undermines what clinical mental health issues vs just feeling a little blue.

agreed. i know she's a strong person, but sometimes im afraid that it wont be enough. she still wont tell me why she didnt open up to me about this in the 1st place, but oh well i guess.

one of the best examples of mental health in the MMA world is how Ronda Rhousey felt after her loss. she said she felt depressed and contemplated suicide. when my girl and i read about it, she started to feel down too and i got really worried....because she loves rhousey and to see her role model admit that just sucked

Say what you will about mental illness, anything at all. Then when it comes home to roost with you, let us hear what you have to say.

Style
    GJJ, Wrestling, Kyokushin
    Many possible explanations.

Some people don't want to project that they have depression because they feel that focusing on it makes it worse. Some people don't want to indicate to their partners that they are depressed because they feel like they are being a burden. Some people just feel that the depression is not significant or actual clinic depression and therefore not worth making a big deal over.

Style
    cultural appropriation
    I have a long running history with mental health problems. In fact, I might well have a major one that causes my anxiety and depression, and neither of those things help with training. I try to use my training as coping and dealing with it, but its a band aid. There have been times depressions lows or panic attacks take it out of me so badly i have to sit out of seminars or miss training at other places all together because of how debilitating it can be. Especially in the times my meds failed me, or in the process of withdrawals.

I still have blips where my symptoms come back, but my moods arent necessarily bad, I tend to find the physiological responses are still there even if my mood is ok. I seem to be getting better, though I do fear a relapse.

I had this conversation with someone where I explained to them that I need my meds like they need their diabetes meds because my body doesnt do everything it should. They shut up then about 'deep breaths, nature, think happy thoughts, others have it worse' etc.

The ignorance of some people.

I may never be able to go to a high level in competition with my tendency for foggy headidness and nerves being completely all over the place, but I compete for fun.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by jackwinsemall View Post
    this is sort of a weird post from me, since i dont really ever get emotional or anything over this stuff. but this one hit sort of home to me.

What do u think about the importance/prominence of mental health in the world of MMA today? I think its super important, id treat that **** like it were my physical health. if your mind isnt right, youre not ready for the fight.

i ask this bc i just picked my girl up from her gym where she trains kickboxing, and she revealed that one of the guys in her class has been suffering from depression and just cant perform well anymore. it just hit here how important it is to take care of mental health. and when i asked her why she didnt have that kind of problem, she gave me the strongest "i go through stuff like that too...i'm just confident enough to get over it."

We had a pretty quiet ride back home, and she still hasnt texted me back..i'm a little pissed that she didnt tell me about her personal problems, but at the same time im glad shes not in that guy's shoes...

So what do u think guys? leave your thoughts below!

P.S. I think i'm in the doghouse now lol
    You didn't gently inquire?

Live and learn, dude.

Even if she didn't want to talk about it right then, at least you Would have appeared to care enough to ask.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    High-level Sports without sports psychology and mental health support is a losing proposition.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

The reason for my comment is pure and simple. Mental illness is something that i live with each and every day as far back as I can remember. Only been on meds to treat it for the past fourteen years. In that time, i still find time to train and learn. Self confidence has as much to not having depression as a polydactyl cat has to do with running a small country. Not a thing. Anyone who says that they don't let mental illness affect their lives is lying to themselves. Those of you who mentioned treating it just as a physical illness, you are correct in quite a few ways. The one big exception is that most physical ailments can be cured, not so with mental illness. The best we can do is manage our symptoms and stay proactive in our recovery. If training and competition help, then more power to you. i know that it certainly helps me.