Page 5 of 5 First 12345
    Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    Agreed. At that level, there wouldn't be much difference skill and equipment. There's a chance that the Canadians prefer to field more snipers due to how their military is balanced, a lot of armies work that way and by doing so pick up these long shots but personally I think it's due to luck (the high amount, not the shooting itself).

Whilst I don't really like Chris Kyle at least he admitted that he wasn't the best sniper in the world and the main reason was that we was in the right place at the right time.

Not trying to deflate the story though, it's ninja as **** and they deserve the recognition for it.
    Agree. With the U.S. a lot of tales of disturbing levels of lethality come down to circumstance. I am speaking from personal experience on this, having experienced either end of that. Sometimes crazy stuff gets approved, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a simple mission turns into an hours long firefight with 40+ EKIA. Sometimes a dumb idea works really well. Sometimes a team you are working with somehow gets lost for 20 hours straight, gets ambushed twice, and loses their medic. Truth is that if our snipers were allowed to, they would try to take shots like this all day, er' day. But the CANSOF team got the yes (or at least got forgiveness afterward because it was a badass shot), and they did it. And that is pretty awesome.

This. I know some incredible shooters who are gifted and train hard at shooting but their green skills, ie solidiering out in the sticks; is average. Shooting is obviously key to being a sniper but the stalk is where it's at and the benefits of being good at it, observing, INT gathering etc. They can be just as lethal, if not more so by not pulling the trigger.
    Or in Hayha's case, his reward for tolerating near hypothermia and comical levels of discomfort was to get very close to the Russkies and slaughter them by the dozens while they tried to figure out where the shots were coming from.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This. I know some incredible shooters who are gifted and train hard at shooting but their green skills, ie solidiering out in the sticks; is average. Shooting is obviously key to being a sniper but the stalk is where it's at and the benefits of being good at it, observing, INT gathering etc. They can be just as lethal, if not more so by not pulling the trigger.
    This is why Carlos Hathcock is still king of the snipers in my mind, regardless of body count. World class shooting skill as proven in the highest level of competition, combined with the field craft and patience of an elite hunter. He was one of a kind, in my opinion.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    This is why Carlos Hathcock is still king of the snipers in my mind, regardless of body count. World class shooting skill as proven in the highest level of competition, combined with the field craft and patience of an elite hunter. He was one of a kind, in my opinion.
    He held the record for a good 30 years and smashed the previous one. Didnt he put a scope on an m2 and hit the nva to get that shot?

Also out of curiosity would a mortar be the safest option if you needed to make that distance on a man portable platform?

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    Agree. With the U.S. a lot of tales of disturbing levels of lethality come down to circumstance. I am speaking from personal experience on this, having experienced either end of that. Sometimes crazy stuff gets approved, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a simple mission turns into an hours long firefight with 40+ EKIA. Sometimes a dumb idea works really well. Sometimes a team you are working with somehow gets lost for 20 hours straight, gets ambushed twice, and loses their medic. Truth is that if our snipers were allowed to, they would try to take shots like this all day, er' day. But the CANSOF team got the yes (or at least got forgiveness afterward because it was a badass shot), and they did it. And that is pretty awesome.
    I have no doubt of that. Lots of military regiments and units from all over the world have mottos like 'Who dares wins' or 'seize the initiative' etc, and whilst they sound cool that ethos usually stems from the reality where basically, if you get ballsy with it; it'll probably work and this applies when things go wrong as well as right.

One of my favourites which comes in many forms is 'A stupid idea is only stupid until it works.'

Or in Hayha's case, his reward for tolerating near hypothermia and comical levels of discomfort was to get very close to the Russkies and slaughter them by the dozens while they tried to figure out where the shots were coming from.
    Yeah that was insane. With the optics and kit available at the time he had to get very close by today's standards and his stalking had to be world class, which it was. Same for Hathcock which Devil mentioned, it's old school hunting of other human beings.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    Also out of curiosity would a mortar be the safest option if you needed to make that distance on a man portable platform?
    It's a good option but they might not have had one at that time or as Cassius said, they might have just fancied it and gone for it.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Page 5 of 5 First 12345