Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    46
    Style
    MMA/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Good back exercises

    Sup bros,

    name's Jack, and i'm new to the forum. i've loved MMA-style grappling for years now, and i mainly wrestle with buddies just for fun nowadays. i can't say i win them all like my name says, but i think i can do better.

    that said, what are some good back exercises to really build back strength? i find my back to be the weaker part of my body, and that's hurt me before during ground-work.

    thanks guys

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    194
    Style
    Judo and HEMA
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rows...ALL the rows. Lots of time on a rowing machine is good for grappling and, with proper form, works the muscles of the upper back and shoulders that are a big part of grappling.

    Once you are done doing rows... do some more.
    Then, for lower back and core work, medicine balls, lots of medicine balls. Balancing on it, using it on russian twists, doing other exercises with it as a platform...etc.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    46
    Style
    MMA/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks man,

    as of right now, i only got bent-over row and seated-row as my rowing in my routine. so you're saying i should go to the rowing machine?

    lower back is tougher to "feel." i have enough trouble with feeling my muscles with the lat-pulldown, and thats not even lower back. Do you have any other lower-back exercises that dont involve medicine balls? my hips are hurting after tussling with friends....and sometimes my girl lol. I'm doing weighted back-extensions. it's not killling my hips too too badly

  4. #4
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackwinsemall View Post
    Sup bros,

    name's Jack, and i'm new to the forum. i've loved MMA-style grappling for years now, and i mainly wrestle with buddies just for fun nowadays. i can't say i win them all like my name says, but i think i can do better.

    that said, what are some good back exercises to really build back strength? i find my back to be the weaker part of my body, and that's hurt me before during ground-work.

    thanks guys
    1. Deadlifts.



    2. Pendlay Rows.



    3. Deadlifts.



    4. Deadlifts.


  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    2,179
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    Rows...ALL the rows. Lots of time on a rowing machine is good for grappling and, with proper form, works the muscles of the upper back and shoulders that are a big part of grappling.

    Once you are done doing rows... do some more.
    Then, for lower back and core work, medicine balls, lots of medicine balls. Balancing on it, using it on russian twists, doing other exercises with it as a platform...etc.
    I suspect the rowing machine and some body weight core exercises are particularly good things for grapplers in their mid-thirties and up to consider, more so with every passing year they have in that age bracket.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    46
    Style
    MMA/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ....sooooo youre saying i should maybe try deadlifts???

    LOL thanks bro!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,309
    Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    -1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bicep curls.
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,409
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, you should not ask these questions on the internet, particularly if you have low back pain. A lot of the brotastic advice you're going to get is only going to make that worse.

    Instead, I'd recommend you consult a personal trainer (if strength is your goal) or physiotherapist (if reduction of back discomfort through training is your goal.) Exercise routines need to be fitted to your current physique and needs and you can't really do that over the internet.

  9. #9
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,874
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    First of all, you should not ask these questions on the internet, particularly if you have low back pain. A lot of the brotastic advice you're going to get is only going to make that worse.

    Instead, I'd recommend you consult a personal trainer (if strength is your goal) or physiotherapist (if reduction of back discomfort through training is your goal.) Exercise routines need to be fitted to your current physique and needs and you can't really do that over the internet.
    I know ya'll can't see this but I have been reading this thread and laughing.
    Shawarma is correct. If not a physical therapist then a doctor. Preferably in the neurology or orthopedics viarities.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  10. #10
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I read was that he had a weak back.

    The cure for a weak back is deadlifts, which he should have started a week back.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in