Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    MMA/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good back exercises

Sup bros,

name's Jack, and i'm new to the forum. i've loved MMA-style grappling for years now, and i mainly wrestle with buddies just for fun nowadays. i can't say i win them all like my name says, but i think i can do better.

that said, what are some good back exercises to really build back strength? i find my back to be the weaker part of my body, and that's hurt me before during ground-work.

thanks guys

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rows...ALL the rows. Lots of time on a rowing machine is good for grappling and, with proper form, works the muscles of the upper back and shoulders that are a big part of grappling.

Once you are done doing rows... do some more.
    Then, for lower back and core work, medicine balls, lots of medicine balls. Balancing on it, using it on russian twists, doing other exercises with it as a platform...etc.

Style
    MMA/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks man,

as of right now, i only got bent-over row and seated-row as my rowing in my routine. so you're saying i should go to the rowing machine?

lower back is tougher to "feel." i have enough trouble with feeling my muscles with the lat-pulldown, and thats not even lower back. Do you have any other lower-back exercises that dont involve medicine balls? my hips are hurting after tussling with friends....and sometimes my girl lol. I'm doing weighted back-extensions. it's not killling my hips too too badly

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackwinsemall View Post
    Sup bros,

name's Jack, and i'm new to the forum. i've loved MMA-style grappling for years now, and i mainly wrestle with buddies just for fun nowadays. i can't say i win them all like my name says, but i think i can do better.

that said, what are some good back exercises to really build back strength? i find my back to be the weaker part of my body, and that's hurt me before during ground-work.

thanks guys
    1. Deadlifts.

2. Pendlay Rows.

3. Deadlifts.

4. Deadlifts.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    Rows...ALL the rows. Lots of time on a rowing machine is good for grappling and, with proper form, works the muscles of the upper back and shoulders that are a big part of grappling.

Once you are done doing rows... do some more.
    Then, for lower back and core work, medicine balls, lots of medicine balls. Balancing on it, using it on russian twists, doing other exercises with it as a platform...etc.
    I suspect the rowing machine and some body weight core exercises are particularly good things for grapplers in their mid-thirties and up to consider, more so with every passing year they have in that age bracket.

Style
    MMA/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ....sooooo youre saying i should maybe try deadlifts???

LOL thanks bro!

Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bicep curls.
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, you should not ask these questions on the internet, particularly if you have low back pain. A lot of the brotastic advice you're going to get is only going to make that worse.

Instead, I'd recommend you consult a personal trainer (if strength is your goal) or physiotherapist (if reduction of back discomfort through training is your goal.) Exercise routines need to be fitted to your current physique and needs and you can't really do that over the internet.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    First of all, you should not ask these questions on the internet, particularly if you have low back pain. A lot of the brotastic advice you're going to get is only going to make that worse.

Instead, I'd recommend you consult a personal trainer (if strength is your goal) or physiotherapist (if reduction of back discomfort through training is your goal.) Exercise routines need to be fitted to your current physique and needs and you can't really do that over the internet.
    I know ya'll can't see this but I have been reading this thread and laughing.
    Shawarma is correct. If not a physical therapist then a doctor. Preferably in the neurology or orthopedics viarities.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I read was that he had a weak back.

The cure for a weak back is deadlifts, which he should have started a week back.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last