Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by badtigra View Post
    I'm really into the aesthetic of it. It seems like it could be fairly effective as well.
    Not without learning to kickbox.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by badtigra View Post
    Maybe I can dance my enemy to death, goodlum

Sweats, I'm mainly looking for exercise and how to fight. Why I want to learn Shotokan though, is that I'm really into the aesthetic of it. It seems like it could be fairly effective as well.
    Anything that teaches you to fight is going to be good exercise, but not everything that is good exercise is going to teach you how to fight.

Time spent doing Kata is time not learning to fight.

Do you care more about how it looks or how effective it is?

Shotokan isn't known for its effectiveness in environments where it has been pressure tested.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to learn a style if you go into it with your eyes wide open.

I knew a karate guy who used to run through all of his kata every morning for a cardio workout. Personally I prefer to go running, but the dude was in shape so I guess it was working for him. Sometimes that kind of training keeps people engaged... each to his own I guess.

And yes goodlun is just being honest in that shotokan is not known for fairing well in a pressure environment. Guys like Machida are the exception not the rule.

But if you want to learn shotokan and they also offer kickboxing they may have a decent training program.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    they also offer kickboxing they may have a decent training program.
    Problem is that can mean MANY different things.
    Do they compete in Kickboxing? If so what type even, there is a VERY wide range of kick boxing rule sets from
    Semi-Contact/Point Sparing rule sets to Full contact Kick Boxing that includes throws.
    Its a very generic term.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Karate
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP - if you want to learn karate as an end in itself and are happy to do kata then great. Here in the UK the JKA has a good rep. If you want to learn how to beat the **** out of people/self defense then do something else.

Style
    MMA,BJJ, Gongkwon Yusul
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did shotokan for a few (~5) years. In retrospect I can't say I'd reccomend the style to anyone looking to learnto fight. There is something very nice about doing shotokan kata, but I think that could just be nostalgia for me.

The school looks to be pretty good at shotokan, (in terms of kata and technique), but i wouldn't get my hopes up for their non-kickboxing classes teachning you much about fighting.

It's possible they do spar by JKA rules in their karate lessons, which strike as a useful form of isolation training (also what machida competed in before kickboxing and MMA, it does seem a little more realistic than WKA), and could be interesting and fun to spar under. But it does look like they are very kata-centric, so your sparring partners likely won't be especially good anyway.

either way, go check them out and get a taste.

Style
    ITF Taekwondo, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'll get back to this thread when I go checkout the place.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Problem is that can mean MANY different things.
    Do they compete in Kickboxing? If so what type even, there is a VERY wide range of kick boxing rule sets from
    Semi-Contact/Point Sparing rule sets to Full contact Kick Boxing that includes throws.
    Its a very generic term.
    Yes I agree. If they offer full contact sparring then it's going to be better than most karate schools. If not then not...

On the other hand, if someone is really looking for self defense I'd say just go straight to Judo or BJJ.

But some people really want to learn karate.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a judoka who did some TKD (a long time ago), I have to say that the whole solo kata thing was not very inspiring. We did spar though, with those chest protectors, no contact to face (punch or kick).

That part was fun, and in no way resembled the kata, other than some of the kicks we used.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Shotokan & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exercise, yes. Learning to fight, generally not in most Shotokan schools. I'm sure there are exceptions, but in my experience most use training modalities (e.g. 1 step sparring) that are not conducive to real fighting. A lot of time is spent on techniques (high block anyone) and body mechanics that simply do not translate to an actual fight.

I was big into through my teens and trained as much as I could. Practiced katas at home on my own time and had a makiwara in my basement. Honestly, I look back and think about what could have been had I put even half that effort into something else with more aliveness.

Look, if you try it, enjoy it, and want to do it for a hobby, have at it. However, if you want to be able to actually fight, odds are it isn't a good option.

I can tell you honestly that even at my Shotokan peak in my early twenties with a decade of training under my black belt, I would have been massacred by a mediocre boxer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 First 12